Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:a history.

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:a history.Part 1.

Post by huppypuppy »

What about these, the Austral Minimaster???

There were only five of these built and they all went to Deluxe Coachlines - they were fleet numbers 201-205. This example was the third of the five built and wore Deluxe fleet number 203... it was recently purchased by ex-Deluxe employee, Phil Langley of Langley's Coaches in Dubbo, NSW and given a refurb in the original Deluxe colours and signage
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here is a picture of Deluxe Austral Minimaster 204 taken in 1989.Picture from the Pete Kane collection
Attachments
DELUXE 204 AUSTRAL MINIMASTER UPH-762
DELUXE 204 AUSTRAL MINIMASTER UPH-762
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

This 1996 Austral Denning / MAN Starliner with "school bus" mods is still in daily service with Sydney Boys High School in Sydney.
This vehicle was sold mid-2020 to a private Central Coast owner, ostensibly for conversion to a motor-home.
Attachments
Maroubra Public School, 29.5.15. BH32LV.
Maroubra Public School, 29.5.15. BH32LV.
PC223566.JPG (120.04 KiB) Viewed 42600 times
Last edited by lunchbox on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hornibrook

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:a history.

Post by Hornibrook »

Maladjusted wrote:Wow, I thought Athol Hedges did his time with Mr C. Hope.

In Charles Hopes autobiography he states he had some apprentices come through who had gone on to building their own successful businesses, one being George Lester of MBS, I'll ask his son again tomorrow about details.

That picture Bedford 29 put up, that would surely have been an early Hedges chassis as there wouldn't be too many mainstream chassis suppliers putting GM's in
Athol Hedges did spend time with Charles Hope between 1938-1945, but originally started in Sydney with W.S. Grice in 1927, then G.J. Olding from 1931, then Propert & Son Motor Bodies from 1934 through to moving to Brisbane in 1938.

Athol was part of the team that built Brisbane City Council's first forward-control buses in 1940.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Love the refurbished Austral Minimaster of Langley's. Had the pleasure of being a passenger on one to Canberra with Hopkinsons when they had one of the ex Deluxe units (202).
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I remember Austral Denning must have changed direction.At some point they only built the most popular vehicles of the 2 separate companies,thats Austral and their various products and Denning with theirs. I think it worked out that the Denning Landseer coach,Hi-Screen and the Double Deck stayed in production but the Landseer High Deck didnt.The Austral's that stayed in production were the Starliner,HD1 (high deck) and Tourmaster but they stopped production of their DD1 (double deck). Then later they phased out various vehicles but introduced their new Austral-Denning "Majestic".At some point the company closed.

THank you to everyone who contributed to this post.
Buswas

Post by Buswas »

The other week, there was another mini master parked in the yard st Bustech (in a pretty poor state)
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Denv12 wrote:I remember Austral Denning must have changed direction.At some point they only built the most popular vehicles of the 2 separate companies,thats Austral and their various products and Denning with theirs. I think it worked out that the Denning Landseer coach,Hi-Screen and the Double Deck stayed in production but the Landseer High Deck didnt.The Austral's that stayed in production were the Starliner,HD1 (high deck) and Tourmaster but they stopped production of their DD1 (double deck). Then later they phased out various vehicles but introduced their new Austral-Denning "Majestic".At some point the company closed.

THank you to everyone who contributed to this post.
I thought the HD-1 replaced the Tourmaster, although there was a short-lived Starmaster model in between. Perhaps there was no market demand for the DD-1?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I thought the HD-1 replaced the Tourmaster, although there was a short-lived Starmaster model in between. Perhaps there was no market demand for the DD-1?[/quote]

The HD-1 was another model.They kept the Tourmaster.It was updated in its final version.I think the Denning Double Deck was the most popular of the 2 double deck coaches.The company only kept the popular of each make in production.
JuanRosa

Post by JuanRosa »

There was an "MD 1 " at some stage, pretty much a tourmaster with a different front.
Last edited by JuanRosa on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

There will be a tribute to Athol Hedges at the QOCS stand (numbers 13/14/15) at next week's Bus & Coach Show at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

JuanRosa wrote:There was an "MD 1 " at some stage, pretty much a tourmaster with a different front.
I think that was the last of the Tourmasters by then.Does anyone have a photo of one?
boronia

Post by boronia »

JuanRosa wrote:There was an "MD 1 " at some stage, pretty much a tourmaster with a different front.
I think this was the Starmaster model.

Murrays bought the demonstrator MAN/HD1, and placed an order for several more. Two "Starmasters" were delivered at the same time, pretty much a Tourmaster with a different front. Unfortunately I can't find any photos of them now.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Here is Athol Hedges' son Chip at the QOCS Stand at the 2017 Australasia Bus & Coach Show.

Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

boronia wrote:

Two "Starmasters" were delivered at the same time, pretty much a Tourmaster with a different front.
Can anyone post photos of those?
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Hornibrook wrote:Here is Athol Hedges' son Chip at the QOCS Stand at the 2017 Australasia Bus & Coach Show.
There's some interesting vehicles on that board.The semi trailer bus looks good.
JuanRosa

Post by JuanRosa »

[[/quote]
Can anyone post photos of those?[/quote]

http://showbus.com/australia/B/Bwha848.JPG
boronia

Post by boronia »

Denv12 wrote:

Two "Starmasters" were delivered at the same time, pretty much a Tourmaster with a different front.
Can anyone post photos of those?[/quote]
This is what I remember being the "Starmaster" (photo from a Murrays staff FB page]
starmaster.jpg
@ The Museum of Fire.
Kevinf

Post by Kevinf »

I have been asked for infomation with a Hino RC bus with a Athol Hedges body on it, I have photos of it though they are to big to post. the bus as just been purchased by a lady in Sydney at a auction for $10.00 and she is very excited about the bus and what she can do with it.

It appears the last rego was in 1993 and registered to Mountjoy Public Transport in Victoria. If anybody has any info please let me know

Return to “Photos - Brisbane/Qld”