Even More Double Deckers

New Zealand Transport Discussion

Moderator: Vitalstatistix

LB608

Even More Double Deckers

Post by LB608 »

There are nine Double Deckers at Murphy's Takanini,still unregistered,as of 8/10/2016
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Re: Even More Double Deckers

Post by OLYMPIAN »

LB608 wrote:There are nine Double Deckers at Murphy's Takanini,still unregistered,as of 8/10/2016
I believe they are the new BCI recently entered service with Ritchies Northern Express
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
BusPlaneTrainTram

Post by BusPlaneTrainTram »

I have been able to deduce 10 - confirmed #1071 [KAZ336] and then using comparable VINs and Registrations, gives vehicles 1064-1073.

Check the Ritchies fleet list towards the bottom of the lists. https://sites.google.com/site/nzbusflee ... --ritchies

Following the deckers are the new buses in the 15xx for Albany and Swanson.

Ritchies/Murphys take over the southern part of the revamped Southern Region of Auckland Transport next Sunday, 30th October. Most services are south of Manuakau as far as Pukekohe. Murphys depot is at Takanini, however, it it probable that a subfleet will be based in the Pukekohue area.

All buses must be in AT blue livery, and Ritchies new buses are in the new 9xxx series.

The last ones being 98xx and 99xx which are transfers of current buses into AT livery. The 99xx buses might be ex Murphy vehicles into the AT livery as I had word that Murphys have reorganised their fleet number system as well.

It is still very open to speculation until the reality is seen in a week.

Go Bus have most of the northern part of the Southern Region, based around Mangere and Otahuhu, including the Orange livery 380 Manukau - Airport - Onehunga service [formerly operated by Tranzit] using new buses in the 5101-5109 range. Howick and Eastern retain the two services which venture into the Eastern region [Botany/Howick].
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Birkenhead will receive 8 Enviro 500 soon
LB608

Post by LB608 »

So did Birkenhead lose the court Case
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

LB608 wrote:So did Birkenhead lose the court Case
Court Case of what
LB608

Post by LB608 »

with Auckland Transport
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

What Birkenhead complianting about?
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Being forced to paint their buses blue
BusPlaneTrainTram

Monday 27th February, Birkenhead Transport commenced Double Decker bus operations over the Harbour Bridge.

Saw BT80 - no rego seen [as was driving]! In AT blue livery.

Routes are 973/974 and 955. Not sure how many commenced operation today.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Is the 955 the one that goes to Glenfield? I stayed with a friend of the family who lives around there last I was in Auckland, and I wouldn't have picked that for a decker route. A few tight streets near the end of the 955 IIRC.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
BusPlaneTrainTram

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Is the 955 the one that goes to Glenfield? I stayed with a friend of the family who lives around there last I was in Auckland, and I wouldn't have picked that for a decker route. A few tight streets near the end of the 955 IIRC.
973/974 is Beach Haven to Midtown via Highbury and Onewa Road. This is the key route, which may see full time decker operation during the day at least.

955 is Bayview to Midtown via Onewa Road, and then via a long loop on Spinella Drive, Lynn Road and Manuka Road and passing the Glenfield Shopping Centre. Comments from someone at Birkenhead Transport indicate that it is very much the 2 tier choice.

So far, one bus only delivered, 3 more on their way soon - all made in Singapore Alexander Dennis Enviro 500.

BT80 is registered KJR882. A couple are already on loan from Howick and Eastern due to the delivery delays.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for the info Peter.
Does Birkenhead's routes you outline above carry the passenger volumes to justify the deckers ??
BusPlaneTrainTram

Sorry, I am local enough to be able to answer that.

My understanding is that Auckland Transport is the initiator of the acquisition of fleet - double deckers in this case so are working on their volumes.

The new network for North Shore will be the last to commence - suggested is 2018 after new West [mid 2017], Central [mid-late 2017] and East [late 2017]......at last advice on the AT network development site.

The new route system is based on the services which the deckers are currently operating, so it is likely that capacity will be correct, and some current services will not go direct to the city, this feeding into the decker services.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Peter .I've never been to Auckland,but have read a bit on the network there,but my knowledge is very limited.I look at various other contracting systems and sometimes some very unusual things happen,re bus purchasing and their relevance to loadings.
My understanding is the services that are currently operated as commercial services by the operators will not go to tender,to be operated by the existing operators.The services which are operated by subsidy are to go to tender.From what I can figure out Birkenhead will retain their services,as they are operated as commercial services.That may be the the reason for North Shore being the last area to be rejigged.
It will be interesting to see if Auckland Transport ,through the tendering process,try to get some more new operators in.That has been the biggest result thus far,with NZ Bus losing a fair bit of territory.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

NZ Bus have 8 double deckers stored at the Go Bus Depot at Wiri
BusPlaneTrainTram

There are to be at least 14 double deckers - fleet numbers 5301-5314 as per fleet lists [I saw 6 today, and have been able to use VINs to get registration numbers]:

http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/nz.php?search=NZB

Return to “New Zealand Transport Discussion”