What Is Your Favourite Denning?

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

What Is Your Favourite Denning?

Post by Denv12 »

Over the years there have been some great buses and coaches built by Denning. The Mono,Denair,Landseer,Galaxy,etc. Everyone has a favourite. It could be a specific vehicle known by its fleet number.What's your favourite Denning? If you have photos please post them.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: What Is Your Favourite Denning?

Post by system improver »

Transparency0036 - Copy.JPG
Timbo52
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair Flxible Clippers

Post by Timbo52 »

Tas Coach Lines No. D111 Denning Leyland VK41 @ Rear of Harrington St Depot, Hobart.jpg
Tas Coach Lines No. D111 Denning Leyland VK41 @ Rear of Harrington St Depot, Hobart.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 24744 times
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

Grayhound Tours No. 35 Denning Mono Leyland Albion @ Franklin Square Hobart C.jpg
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

Suppose its how you describe what a Denning is , for me its usually a GM chassis crashbox and Detroit , they had some nice bodies over the years but I was
never a fan driving them until they started coming out with modern european chassis, which made the job much more enjoyable , you would feel just as refreshed
at the end of the day as you started , as with a full on Denning you knew you had driven one all day.

Some here most likely will not see my addition as a real Denning .
Attachments
CCI10102016_2.jpg
bjg154

Post by bjg154 »

Timbo52 wrote:
Grayhound Tours No. 35 Denning Mono Leyland Albion @ Franklin Square Hobart C.jpg
Hi Timbo

Do you have the chassis or body details for WFF 956? I'm trying to work out its origins.

Thank you
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

CCCC wrote:Suppose its how you describe what a Denning is , for me its usually a GM chassis crashbox and Detroit , they had some nice bodies over the years but I was
never a fan driving them until they started coming out with modern european chassis, which made the job much more enjoyable , you would feel just as refreshed
at the end of the day as you started , as with a full on Denning you knew you had driven one all day.

Some here most likely will not see my addition as a real Denning .
I agree with you there CCCC. I've driven coaches all day that were draining but others that made you feel refreshed.
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

bjg154 wrote:
Timbo52 wrote:
Hi Timbo

Do you have the chassis or body details for WFF 956? I'm trying to work out its origins.

Thank you
Hi bjg154
The mono was the result of the shortage of Leyland chassis for coaches at that era (about 1966). A Leyland Albion shunt truck came up for sale at the wharves in Devonport, so dad bought it & sent it off to Denning to have it cut & shut then build the body on the resulting conversion, the only fault of the conversion was the narrow front axle which visually looked a bit strange with the wheels set in further than you would expect. This vehicle was built to replace an ageing Freighter Lawton AEC Reliance Skysiter in the Grayhound Tours Fleet to do tour work to Queensland & South Australia. It was later absorbed into Tasmanian Coach Lines as the business grew & bought out other operators ie Green Coach Lines & Pioneer Tours (Tas). If you want more info send a PM & I'll try to help.
Tim
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Hi Tim.

Thats a great history there.I wonder how many know about that.It could also be the missing link in the history of the company moving into building their own chassis.If you have any photos and further history could you start a fresh topic to devote to the topic please? It deserves a topic on its own.Others here might be able to contribute.
Thanks.
Denv12.
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

Denv12 wrote:Hi Tim.

Thats a great history there.I wonder how many know about that.It could also be the missing link in the history of the company moving into building their own chassis.If you have any photos and further history could you start a fresh topic to devote to the topic please? It deserves a topic on its own.Others here might be able to contribute.
Thanks.
Denv12.
G'day Denv12
Like many industries Buses & Coaches in Australia & all individual states has so much fantastic history to be found it is almost too overwhelming to try & comprehend it all. One could spend a life time listening too & reading other people's accounts of their experiences. Unfortunately I dropped out of the industry in the early 80's so lost contact for many years. I believe that as Denning's progressed into that era of late 70's & on that they developed the concept of non Chassis type structures to enable walk through storage bins for their operators to enable bigger carrying capacities for passenger luggage on long distance tours & luggage/freight space for those on express work. It was even made easier & cheaper for them when vehicle manufacturers started supplying front & rear sub assemblies (no Chassis rails) ready for manufacture into whichever configuration the coach builder may want, be it standard deck, high deck or D Deck.
I agree that another topic would be interesting to start on this area but unfortunately I don't have the info to start it because it started as I left the industry.
Timbo
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

Denning Leyland.jpg
Denning Leyland.jpg (126.27 KiB) Viewed 24465 times
Leyland Albion - Tasmanian Coach Lines D149. May have been ex Ritcher Bros - WoyWoy??? On tour East Coast Of Tasmania.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Timbo52 wrote:
Denning Leyland.jpg
Leyland Albion - Tasmanian Coach Lines D149. May have been ex Ritcher Bros - WoyWoy??? On tour East Coast Of Tasmania.
Thanks Timbo52.
Just a suggestion.You could start the topic with a title like: "Denning Leyland-Albion."
From there you can just copy what you have here and add the same photo.From there others can contribute.Its a start.
Denv12.
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

Thanks for the comment Denv12,
I think that your thread will cover the subject very well for all variations of a great "AUSTRALIAN" builder of what were very robust & well designed coaches that are missed in this day of built to price modes of transport vehicles. I look forward to following the thread.
Tim.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

My favourite Denning is the Denning Landseer Decker!

I have a soft spot for this one as it's in the fleet livery of my number one coach company in Dubbo!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”