69 Leyland Atlantean engine choices

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
coastlaw

69 Leyland Atlantean engine choices

Post by coastlaw »

Hi all you awsum Bus nutters out there , I have a 69 Atlantean DD which has the original EO680S engine, we plan on doing a very long rainbow colored cruise around Aussie in it so the old thumper , though re-coned apparently is not going win us any lizard races, and i love kickin lizard ass. :lol:
is anyone familiar with the PDR2's (rear engine) and could suggest what engine-gearboxes will fit in there or compatible ?
I am in Perth/sth west , any recommendations on big diesel dudes over here that are bus friendly would be much appreciated too ,
to save me a lil bit or time weeding out the ones who hand you a tow service card after you just brought something off them.. lol
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: 69 Leyland Atlantean engine choices

Post by boronia »

Because it is a transverse engine with a right angle drive you could be limited to what you can use.

Perhaps you should be asking a suitably qualified engineer for an opinion, as you will need one to sign off on any modifications.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Brisbane Atlantean

Post by Brisbane Atlantean »

Hi Boronia,
I have just bought a 1969 Leyland Atlantean with a 680 in it and was wondering if you have made any progress in your search for an answer for more speed.
Cheers
Brisbane Atlantean
andyr

Post by andyr »

Just some thoughts based on personal experience ..... like anything, how deep is your money bucket??

Years ago, I was involved in a group that ran two ex NSW State Transit Atlanteans between Sydney and the NSW Snowfields. The two old girls both had been fitted with changed angle drive gears so they would sit on 105km/h just shy of the governer, quite happy cruising 95-100. Both had the 680's turboed.

No.1 old girl still had the 4 speed pnuemo in it so had quite big gaps between gears - you had to let it drop to around 80 before going from 4th to 3rd on a climb. Both would just sit and grunt on a climb at about 1400-1500 rpm from memory.

No. 2 got retrofitted with a 5 speed pnuemo - 1st gear was a bit lower than 1st in the 4 speed and the gaps between the other was a bit closer. Made it a lot nicer vehicle to drive.

Turboing them gave them a bit more poke but you have to remember that these are a old school slow rev grunty motor.

From memory, Oliveris here in Sydney had one that was repowered with a inline 6 Detroit, but I believe it was a major exercise and had it's fair share of issues.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Brisbane Atlantean wrote:Hi Boronia,
I have just bought a 1969 Leyland Atlantean with a 680 in it and was wondering if you have made any progress in your search for an answer for more speed.
Sorry, but I have not said I am looking for answers.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

if you want more info on the 680 I have a manual that can help if you require one
Guy Arab
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

So our 69 DD ex Plymouth has started. Soon as i can work out how to post pics they will be up.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

If it is to be re-engined, what are your plans for the old motor ?
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

Anything original ive taken out including (shortly) the middle doors i will put in storage more than likely so that if its ever sold theres the option to restore it .
At this stage its a money thing so original engine has to stay in. Apparently its had fith gear put in so depending on engine diagnosis if it needs rebuild i might look at diff .
Unfortunately i might have to pull the leaf springs and have them reset, big job .
andyr

Post by andyr »

coastlaw wrote: At this stage its a money thing so original engine has to stay in. Apparently its had fith gear put in so depending on engine diagnosis if it needs rebuild i might look at diff .
Probably find it easier to get different angle drive gears than change the diff ratio. See my post above.
Brisbane Atlantean

Post by Brisbane Atlantean »

Good afternoon everyone,
I was hoping to revisit the question of how to get more speed out of a Leyland Atlantean with a standard 680 motor.

I drove from Bundaberg to Brisbane on Easter Monday and the lack of speed on stretches of road with only one lane each way did upset a lot of people even though I was pulling over every 5 minutes if I had not reached an overtaking lane.

I am happy to plod along a dual lane highway as passing me is easy but I would like to cause less inconvenience to the other road users on single lane roads if I can.

My bus has the air powered 4 speed clutchless manual. I used to get up to about 70 KPH but on this trip seemed to only average 60KPH over the trip with hills and what not. The constant stopping did not help.
I have seen comments suggesting different angle drive gears and diff ratios, all of which is above my skill level.
Can anyone recommend someone or a business in the south east Queensland area who might be able to do the necessary upgrade to whatever is needed? I have no idea who to approach so any leads would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have any idea of what an upgrade might cost?

Cheers
Cheers
Brisbane Atlantean

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”