"Insipid Passenger" Stories

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Re: "Insipid Passenger" Stories

Post by crazyturbo76 »

boronia wrote:It's always fun to watch 3 women with prams trying to get onto a LF bus at the shopping centres.
People can succeed at fitting three prams on a low-floor; I've seen two wheelchairs and a pram being popped onto a low-floor on one occasion.

Also, it seems people are trying to cram out of one door on a carriage some days-the guard on my arvo train to Penrith had to remind folks that there were sixteen doors to alight from...
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Was returning from the city tonight on a 157, and noticed this clapping noise. Wasn't 100% sure what it in relation to initially, but then noticed. There's this European lady who claps very loudly before she alights, and then claps again by the centre door, and says very loudly "We have an excellent driver. Thank you".

I've seen this passenger twice this week. I thought a simple cheers or whatever would be sufficient. I don't go out of my way to prepare a song/tune for the driver who is merely doing their job of driving a bus to enable passengers to get to their destination. To me, an excellent driver is one who's polite, and friendly towards passengers, and drives at the speed limit.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

TA3001 wrote:Was returning from the city tonight on a 157, and noticed this clapping noise. Wasn't 100% sure what it in relation to initially, but then noticed. There's this European lady who claps very loudly before she alights, and then claps again by the centre door, and says very loudly "We have an excellent driver. Thank you".

I've seen this passenger twice this week. I thought a simple cheers or whatever would be sufficient. I don't go out of my way to prepare a song/tune for the driver who is merely doing their job of driving a bus to enable passengers to get to their destination. To me, an excellent driver is one who's polite, and friendly towards passengers, and drives at the speed limit.
Reminds me of a guy who is a regular passenger on 864 and 864F services between Mt Barker and the City. He is always speaking loudly on his phone, or sometimes just speaking loudly to himself (did I mention in a language other than English?). He always sits up the back, generally the offside corner. Not insipid, he seems like quite a nice guy, but he is annoying with his loud talking at times.

I also remember once on a 281K to Klemzig, a guy drank 2 cans of Wild Turkey. The 281K is a relatively short route, so he was doing well. Obviously ignored the sign that says "No alcohol- penalties apply" :roll:
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I also remember once on a 281K to Klemzig, a guy drank 2 cans of Wild Turkey. The 281K is a relatively short route, so he was doing well. Obviously ignored the sign that says "No alcohol- penalties apply" :roll:
Those signs do seem to be entirely meaningless to people. On one occasion, a group of people boarded the bus I was on, sat right up the back and spent 50 minutes opening up can after can of beer. They were annoyingly loud.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Diesel_MAN wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:I also remember once on a 281K to Klemzig, a guy drank 2 cans of Wild Turkey. The 281K is a relatively short route, so he was doing well. Obviously ignored the sign that says "No alcohol- penalties apply" :roll:
Those signs do seem to be entirely meaningless to people. On one occasion, a group of people boarded the bus I was on, sat right up the back and spent 50 minutes opening up can after can of beer. They were annoyingly loud.
At least it didn't ruin your trip on 878 on a 200B. I hate it when passengers are loud. Even if it's on a crappy Euro 6 K280UB. I've seen a birthday celebration/cheering on a tram between the city and the entertainment centre before.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

You would not have appreciated the guy playing bagpipes on a bus I was on a few years ago in Sydney then!
People outside the bus were laughing and fellow passengers seemed to get into the spirit. :lol:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I've heard of passengers actually engaging in intercourse on one of the Sydney overnight services, so this is basically nothing. But I just find this passenger very annoying, and wish she'd just keep her mouth shut and alight/travel like normal members of society.

It could be an attention thing, although personally, I wouldn't be seeking attention from a busload of passengers.
Swift

Post by Swift »

TA3001 wrote:
It could be an attention thing, although personally, I wouldn't be seeking attention from a busload of passengers.
That is exactly what I was thinking along the lines of. She sounds like a performer A lot of attention seekers get on buses but of course the Sydney members of this board dismissed what I had to say when I brought it up as a topic years ago as a bus driver, most implying I was paranoid.
They are usually older females that sit toward the front and stare at you through the mirror and often get shitty if you give them the 1000 yard stare as punishment or don't look at them at all. Some disturbed humans out there.
TA3001 wrote:I've heard of passengers actually engaging in intercourse on one of the Sydney overnight services, so this is basically nothing.
Are they making much noise though? :lol:
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

THERE IS A MIDDLE AGED WOMAN WHO GETS ON SYDNEY BUSES & TRAINS who id done up in the full opera white dress ect & bursts into song some like it others cringe then we have mr harris who I WON'T DISCRIBE WHAT HE DOES TO BUS DRIVERS & PASSENGERS even the police won't touch him but in my 50 yers there has nowbeen many odd passengers as long as their not dangerours sometimes it breaks up a dull shift, I USED TO PREFER small kids that were first starting school ,because mum has allways driven them around in the 4x4 they are a little amazed at this huge thing & YOU get asked were's the seat belts? & they don't want to get of at the school.When we got the first Scania wheel-chair buses my first wheel chair passenger was a large woman in a huge 4x4 wheel chair out went the ramp then a almighty bang ramp snaps away from bus shes in the gutter upside down can't move bus as wheel chair was to HEAVY. blocked Victoria rd for 3 hours till they worked out how to move bus!............now of course they have limits....................but saying that when we bought our new fridge Harvey Noman want $60 BUCKS TO DELIVER IT..................So living on a bus route requested a wheel chair bus and after my last trip before going back to depot called in picked up my fridge they wheeled it onto bus were not happy got home got trolly from shed removed fridge saved $60 bucks booked up overtime for being late back to depot due to heavy traffic!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Swift wrote:You would not have appreciated the guy playing bagpipes on a bus I was on a few years ago in Sydney then!
People outside the bus were laughing and fellow passengers seemed to get into the spirit. :lol:
Was that Anzac Day evening about three or four years ago on a Epping Road run? If so I was on that bus too! The driver was encouraging him, and even opening the doors at traffic lights up Clarence Street so bystanders could hear it.

C :)
Swift

Post by Swift »

No, not the same bus or period, but the same occasion, Anzac day, sometime around mid to late 2000s.
Guy in kilt started performing on an outbound Anzac Pde service after UNSW, with bemused onlookers as the bus stopped at lights. It certainly is an instrument best heard in moderate doses in an enclosed area(!) but was quite a privilege for all aboard.:D
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

captainch wrote:but saying that when we bought our new fridge Harvey Noman want $60 BUCKS TO DELIVER IT..................So living on a bus route requested a wheel chair bus and after my last trip before going back to depot called in picked up my fridge they wheeled it onto bus were not happy got home got trolly from shed removed fridge saved $60 bucks booked up overtime for being late back to depot due to heavy traffic!
I did a similar thing about 10 years ago, I wheeled a massive, heavy Nintendo GameCube display cabinet onto a 742 bus (a CB60), the driver said if it fits through the doors it can go on - and it did, barely, there was about one inch either side! It was starting to rain and this cabinet only had two chair-type castors on the front designed only to move the machine around the game shop, the back of the machine only had table legs. The driver was even nice enough to stop outside my door rather than the 300m back where the bus stop was. The GameCube cabinet cost me $150, which also included the TV set (with remote) and Super Smash Bros. Melee which was still inside the game console because they had lost the key to open it (or maybe only Nintendo themselves had the keys, who knows - it's still locked today as the key was a BiLock type, however I was still able to access the machine to change games as it had a clear perspex window over the console, which was screwed on with Torx security screws with the pin in the middle, which are much easier to work with than messing with a BiLock and/or destroying it with a drill). Both Game Mania and the Eastland bus interchange are long gone now, with the 742 terminus being relegated to a simple bus stop (with no shelter I might add) on other side of the main road opposite the shopping centre (every other bus in the district either terminates or stops at Ringwood Station 200m away, but this bus simply goes around the corner at the intersection without going near the station).
Swift

Post by Swift »

Would the driver let you take a piano too, if it fit through the doors?
No worries let me get my impact wrench and a couple of seats out IT'S FINE!! :twisted:
captainch

Post by captainch »

swift in the late 70's a very young blond good looking conductress asked a couple of drivers at our depot she had to move her things to a new flat ,As it was off pay week she had no money to move So being the gentle men some of us young drivers were.We borrowed a A.E.C decker from the depot & loaded it up,bed in the isle down stairs with table & chairs most other things up stair clothes hanging from the hand rails tHE FRIDGE on the back platform with the trolly from the revenue room.allways ready to help a fellow employee out! very strage looks going from ryde to glebe,even more from the neighbours when a govt bus turned up full of furniture! But in those days nobody
said A thing! :shock: :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift

Post by Swift »

LOL. Great story captain. Like a real life episode of On the Buses. :!: :shock:
captainch

Post by captainch »

who couldn't forget if your older one of sydneys most famous passengers,a women in a grey army overcoat.tennis eyeshadow cap & sandshoes, it was my 3rd day on the job as a virgin conductor doing a race special from the quay to Randwick races I asked her for her fare she said I never PAY!!! Being new I went up to the driver on our decker he said don't worry its "BEA MILES" she is a legand on public transport,she was reciting shakespear for 10 cents & now many taxis we would pass on the way to the races! When we got to Taylors Square 2 plain clothed inspectors got on to check tickets!!!!!!!!! They saw Bea jumped off at the next stop! she was a part of Sydneys history & I ran into her a few times over my many years "ON THE BUSES" :roll: :?
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Back in my days, I was on a bus to swimming lessons. A group of boys wanted me to sit next to the two girls but they didn't want me to. Just then they told me to 'go away' and I just refused. I told to myself that I shouldn't move when the bus is moving. It really annoys me.
Lt. Commander Data

So there's AFL on tonight (yawn). I had done the last 823 shift today, and we get to Crafers to start the 866R, waiting for the outbound 864F. Some people in Crows livery walk up, "here we go..." I said, but unusually they read the desto :shock: . Not two minutes later a bimbo with her (young) daughter come over, get on and sit down ("Wow, we're the first on" I hear them say).

About 10mins later, the driver pulls into stop 30 Piccadilly Rd ("Monument") and asks them whether they want to go to Piccadilly or Stirling East. "We want to go to the football (emphasis on the 't') in Adelaide (emphasis on the 'ad')", quite rudely I thought. So pretty much the driver explains that he doesn't go there, and I look up the next AO10 from Stirling for them. As they got off, had the temptation to tell them "The trick to know where each bus goes: Read the sign out front". Idiots.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:So there's AFL on tonight (yawn). I had done the last 823 shift today, and we get to Crafers to start the 866R, waiting for the outbound 864F. Some people in Crows livery walk up, "here we go..." I said, but unusually they read the desto :shock: . Not two minutes later a bimbo with her (young) daughter come over, get on and sit down ("Wow, we're the first on" I hear them say).

About 10mins later, the driver pulls into stop 30 Piccadilly Rd ("Monument") and asks them whether they want to go to Piccadilly or Stirling East. "We want to go to the football (emphasis on the 't') in Adelaide (emphasis on the 'ad')", quite rudely I thought. So pretty much the driver explains that he doesn't go there, and I look up the next AO10 from Stirling for them. As they got off, had the temptation to tell them "The trick to know where each bus goes: Read the sign out front". Idiots.
That's a real problem with express services too. I remember this one time when I was on North Terrace and there was a 150, 155 and 157X all at the same bus stop (the drivers of two of them had either had to deal with traffic/passengers issues or driven too slowly, because this really shouldn't happen). The passenger wanted to go somewhere on Port Road; I think I heard him say he wanted either Stop 20 or 23. Obviously, he could have boarded either the 150 or 155, but no, he boarded the 157X, which doesn't stop at all on Port Road.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

It's not hard to distinguish the right bus from another. Do you think if 1613, 892, and 1640 were sitting at the same stop (doing a 117, a 'H30', and a 'B12'), I'd get one the wrong one?

That is an interesting scenario, although one should know which bus to catch before even leaving home/wherever.
Lt. Commander Data

But remember, the world revolves around them. Whichever bus they get on will be the right one.

What surprised the the most is that she didn't notice that
1. The bus didn't turn towards the City when leaving Crafers Park'n'Ride
2. She didn't notice when we turned up Piccadilly Road instead of going down the freeway (although that freeway enterance would be going the wrong way).

:roll:
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:What surprised the the most is that she didn't notice that
1. The bus didn't turn towards the City when leaving Crafers Park'n'Ride
2. She didn't notice when we turned up Piccadilly Road instead of going down the freeway (although that freeway enterance would be going the wrong way).
I wouldn't hold AFL supporters (also known as "footy wankers" when in large numbers) in high enough esteem to assume that they would be cluey enough to notice these kind of things.
TP1106
Favourite Vehicle: TP1106, 1114 and 754.
Location: Perth, Western Australia - The capital city of the world's worst drivers!

Post by TP1106 »

I hate it when people take up the whole back seat on a route like the 950.
0405's are awesome!!
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Why on earth would you want to sit there anyhow? :)
Lt. Commander Data

TP1106 wrote:I hate it when people take up the whole back seat on a route like the 950.
Where would you rather they sit?
Sounds like me when sitting on abus with friends (of course, when I'm by myself I sit in a sensible seat above the axle or right up front :wink: )

Return to “The Lunch Room”