[NEW][CHINA]Elevated bus

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

[NEW][CHINA]Elevated bus

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Road-straddling bus takes first test drive in China
Months after design was revealed Transit Explore Bus has inaugural run on test track in Qinhuangdao, Hebei province

Just months after its spectacular design was unveiled, the Transit Explore Bus had its inaugural run this week on 300 metres of specially constructed test track in Qinhuangdao, a city in the north-east Hebei province, the BBC reported.

Bus that moves above traffic jams: model unveiled in China
The vehicle, which goes up to 60km/h (37mph), runs on tracks with passenger spaces standing two metres above the road so that two lanes of cars can pass undisturbed underneath, helping to alleviate the notorious traffic jams of China’s biggest cities.

“The biggest advantage is that the bus will save lots of road space,” Song Youzhou, the project’s chief engineer, told Xinhua, China’s official news agency. He said the vehicle cost about a fifth as much as underground transit systems and could be constructed more quickly.

Song said in May that the buses, which are 21 metres long and more than seven metres wide, could transport up to 1,400 passengers. Several units can be attached to one another. One TEB could replace 40 conventional buses, he said. It is not known how the system would coexist with lorries and taller vehicles.

The world learned of the road-straddling bus when a model was showcased at a technology expo in Beijing in May. It generated enormous excitement in a country where traffic jams have grown as the country overtook the US to become the largest car market on earth in 2009.

It was noted that a similar design – also by Song – had previously cropped up at the event in 2010.
Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... gdao-hebei

Other stories on this bus:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36961433
http://jalopnik.com/everything-that-mak ... 1784768447

My comment:
It seems interesting, but I'm not sure whether I like it. I wonder whether it will gain populatiry?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: [NEW][CHINA]Elevated bus

Post by Bus Suggestions »

I have seen an artist impression of it in a magazine, and I like how it has turned out. It's official name is the 'straddling bus'.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Post by OLYMPIAN »

The project is failed and now sitting in the depot collecting dust
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

OLYMPIAN wrote:The project is failed and now sitting in the depot collecting dust
:( Why'd that fail? I'm thinking that it's because of financial problems. Or maybe conflicts between the company that's constructing the straddle-stops?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Without knowing too much about it, I would imagine that it would require completely new sections of roadway to operate; you couldn't just plonk it down over an existing highway/roadway without massive alterations.

I just can't imagine car drivers "cooperating" in sharing roads safely with this sort of obstruction.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Overseas Transport Discussion”