Britain's Exit or Brexit.

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Britain's Exit or Brexit.

Post by Swift »

Well, the elitists will be in a tizz over this one. Multinationals who have invested heavily in the UK will feel burnt now that it no longer entails EU market access.
Why is the world reeling so much?
Boris can use the catchcry putting the great back into Great Britain.

The UK will gain some control over the types wanting to make GB their home after the exit is completed.
The worry is the hysteric scramble to enter before the transition is complete.
Discussion welcome.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Britain's Exit or Brexit.

Post by Fleet Lists »

But Scotland is threatening to leave the UK as a result of the decision.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I can't see anything good coming from this economically, only bad. Decades of reducing trade barriers now they want to put them up again?

Perhaps they will get an increased feeling of national pride though. Worth it?
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Fleet Lists wrote:But Scotland is threatening to leave the UK as a result of the decision.
Northern Ireland want out (again) as well.

I say let Scotland and N Ireland leave, especially N Ireland joining with the Republic of Ireland, to make things more convienient.

No doubt Germany and France will think about leaving as well now, and the whole EU will dissolve.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It might sound convenient but I can not see Northern Ireland wanting to join up with the Irish Republic.

The Dutch are also believed to be considering a pull out option.
Living in the Shire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

It's also funny actually at the moment much of London is angry at the result. Most people in London voted REMAIN. But the thing is London is always weird with elections. The thing there is such a disconnect between London and the rest of England whether it be the north, middle England or the seaside towns.
Lt. Commander Data

Fleet Lists wrote:It might sound convenient but I can not see Northern Ireland wanting to join up with the Irish Republic.
I have heard something about this happening - another referrendum possibly. Unfortunately I heard it on the TV, so no source (sorry). Still, the TV often lie, just look at the weater reports :P .
Fleet Lists wrote: The Dutch are also believed to be considering a pull out option.
Same with the French (again, can't source anywhere unfortunately).

Without a doubt Scotland will want another independence referrendum like you mentioned before.
Frosty wrote:It's also funny actually at the moment much of London is angry at the result. Most people in London voted REMAIN. But the thing is London is always weird with elections. The thing there is such a disconnect between London and the rest of England whether it be the north, middle England or the seaside towns.
Sounds a bit like country towns vs Cities here.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

So if Britain leaves European Union, might call it Brexit! At least it's a portnemau word.
Lt. Commander Data

Shoudy Chen wrote:So if Britain leaves European Union, might call it Brexit! At least it's a portnemau word.
Britan have already left the EU, and it has been called "Brexit" for quite some time...
Swift

Post by Swift »

Frosty wrote:It's also funny actually at the moment much of London is angry at the result. Most people in London voted REMAIN. .
Apparently many who wanted to cast their vote in the last few hours couldn't due to public transport failure brought about by weather.
London, being very cosmopolitan, is more likely to have voters in favour of remaining than the rest of the country, with less interest in preserving traditions.
It also has more well off people who's personal interests are served by remaining in the EU.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

An idea..... the scotts will have an refendum to split off from the UK and into the EU, then these people who don't like the brexit can move to scotland, likewise for the people who live in scotland who like the brexit can move to the UK..... problem solved.
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

The difference here in is mostly suburban v inner city its like magical line like East V West in Sydney. I thought in the UK you can show up and get a provisional vote or something like what we have in Aus.

I think London should become independent of the UK as well.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
Britan have already left the EU, and it has been called "Brexit" for quite some time...
They have voted to leave but they have not yet officially left. All EU laws still apply across the UK and British MEPs are still in office.

The referendum is also not legally binding so the government can choose not to take action. It's like the proposed gay marriage plebiscite here, it's not legally binding even though we can vote on it.

The UK will leave the EU 2 years after the trigger of Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon, this has not been triggered yet and it is unlikely to be triggered soon. Even some in the leave campaign want some breathing room before the trigger of Article 50. The 2 year date can be reduced or extended depending on how things go.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

If they were not too leave, I do not think Cameron would have resigned. And while they have not officially left the EU as yet, the officials of the EU have already indicated they want England out as soon as possible and well under two years if they are to leave.
Living in the Shire.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

The EU has no power to trigger Article 50 on the UK's behalf. They can put sanctions on the UK to compel them to leave but that's unlikely. The only other power they have is rhetoric and that's what's going on now.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Brexit was very sad. At least it may be called Grexit (Great Britain's Exit)
Lt. Commander Data

Shoudy Chen wrote:Brexit was very sad. At least it may be called Grexit (Great Britain's Exit)
I think Grexit is for Greece :lol:
Frexit for France.
Gexit for Germany.
Swexit for Sweeden.
Dexit for Denmark.
etc.
Until Bexit for Belgium.
Then the EU will be a thing of the past, fallen to the rise of nationalism. And what happened around 100 years ago (partly) due to the rise of nationalism? That's right, WWI, The Great War.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
Shoudy Chen wrote:Brexit was very sad. At least it may be called Grexit (Great Britain's Exit)
I think Grexit is for Greece :lol:
Frexit for France.
Gexit for Germany.
Swexit for Sweeden.
Dexit for Denmark.
etc.
Until Bexit for Belgium.
Then the EU will be a thing of the past, fallen to the rise of nationalism. And what happened around 100 years ago (partly) due to the rise of nationalism? That's right, WWI, The Great War.
Try this website because this could be a lot funnier:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ord_Brexit
eddy

Post by eddy »

I had heard that if all the young people had voted the vote would have gone the other way.

Might be good for young people here to make sure they vote on Saturday rather than complain about the result.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Voting is compulsory here so that comment is kind of irrelevant eddy.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Fleet Lists wrote:If they were not too leave, I do not think Cameron would have resigned. And while they have not officially left the EU as yet, the officials of the EU have already indicated they want England out as soon as possible and well under two years if they are to leave.
I don't think Cameron has actually resigned yet. Commentators are stating that he has only promised to.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I've been watching a lot of "doom and gloom" commentators from London on TV recently. Nearly every report has managed to get a "Borismaster" into the background.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I have noticed that the news services gave grasped onto anything negative that's happened since the VOTE to leave, even implying that a loss to Iceland in a football match was a result of Brexit. :roll:
Plus they seem to throw in the label 'crisis' as though Brexit is some abomination.
If the result was the other way, the story would be yesterday's news and I guarantee there would not be any calls for a second vote.
The establishment has copped a rare upset and they don't like it.
This is not going to go through quietly.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I didn't like the result of SoO the other week. Can they play that round again? :roll:
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data

Turns out it might not happen after all. A ruling by the high court says that the parliament needs to approve it first.
http://www.theladbible.com/news/politic ... 0-20161103

Return to “The Lunch Room”