Wanting to drive for South Link

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Wanting to drive for South Link

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

G'Day guys,

As the subject suggests, I am looking to become a bus driver.

I am currently only 16 and in Year 11 at school. This may seem weird but all I want to do is drive buses. I have spoken to a few drivers and they have all said slightly said different things but that was because they all started working at different times.

Here is what I think I need to apply so far:
- Minimum HR Licence
- Large Passenger Accreditation
- Application sheet

I may also do a Cert III in Driving Operations to give myself a better chance.

Is there a minimum age they accept drivers?

If I have missed anything could you please let me know so that I can look further into it
What even is a bus?
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Post by CCCC »

My advice is to do as much education as you can first, finish year 12 and try and go on to uni for a degree first if you have the capacity,
You can always fall back on driving at any time.
Adelaide Hills DD

CCCC wrote:My advice is to do as much education as you can first, finish year 12 and try and go on to uni for a degree first if you have the capacity,
You can always fall back on driving at any time.
I will definitely finish school, but I'm not sure what I want to do after that. I was hoping to drive for a couple of years as a casual and do something else in between
What even is a bus?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Have you considered contacting your preferred employer directly? They will have a much better idea of their requirements for employment than I will, however....

Providing you have a FULL licence (no 'P' plates etc) that is HR category, and your LP accreditation then there is no reason that you will not be accepted for employment as a bus driver. Unfortunately the minimum age for getting a full licence in SA is 20 so you have a few years to go yet.

A certificate III will usually be part of the training process undertaken once you commence employment so I wouldn't worry too much.

A couple of personal suggestions on my part would be:
* Obtain your learners permit as soon as you are able to; the process of obtaining a full licence can take some time - the longer you delay the longer you will have to wait to start work. For further licence information; see http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/home
* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Adelaide Hills DD

The Phonj wrote:Have you considered contacting your preferred employer directly? They will have a much better idea of their requirements for employment than I will, however....

Providing you have a FULL licence (no 'P' plates etc) that is HR category, and your LP accreditation then there is no reason that you will not be accepted for employment as a bus driver. Unfortunately the minimum age for getting a full licence in SA is 20 so you have a few years to go yet.

A certificate III will usually be part of the training process undertaken once you commence employment so I wouldn't worry too much.

A couple of personal suggestions on my part would be:
* Obtain your learners permit as soon as you are able to; the process of obtaining a full licence can take some time - the longer you delay the longer you will have to wait to start work. For further licence information; see http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/home
* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.
Thanks for the info PhonJ

I will be applying for my HR licence next year because I have my own family run buisness that I could get an exemption for, so that is not a big issue getting that.
Do you think that year 12 English (which involves a lot of communication skill based learning) would come close to that? or would that not be suitable enough?

I will go into Aldgate depot one day during the holidays just to get more info and to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Angus
What even is a bus?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:
Do you think that year 12 English (which involves a lot of communication skill based learning) would come close to that? or would that not be suitable enough?

I will go into Aldgate depot one day during the holidays just to get more info and to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Angus
Your abilities would be assessed as part of the recruitment process. Attitude is probably more relevant than actual experience.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Adelaide Hills DD

boronia wrote:Your abilities would be assessed as part of the recruitment process. Attitude is probably more relevant than actual experience.
Thats probably a good thing because i have a very positive attitude
What even is a bus?
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:

Angus
I wouldnt worry too much about English speaking skills or communication skills. The bus industry nationwide is rife with drivers with poor communication skills and a poor ability to speak english. They got in, so you should be a shoo in. :twisted:
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

I wouldnt worry too much about English speaking skills or communication skills. The bus industry nationwide is rife with drivers with poor communication skills and a poor ability to speak english. They got in, so you should be a shoo in.
Are you referring to the influx on Irish drivers? :lol:
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

dex wrote:
I wouldnt worry too much about English speaking skills or communication skills. The bus industry nationwide is rife with drivers with poor communication skills and a poor ability to speak english. They got in, so you should be a shoo in.
Are you referring to the influx on Irish drivers? :lol:
Hahaha, I don't know. From what I've heard, many of the influx of Irish drivers have since outfluxed there ways back to Dublin. I might have been more referring to drivers perhaps born in other cricket playing nations. :lol:
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

The Netherlands?
I can play dumb for quite some time....
Shame they have headed home though, on another note, I was told that the public's view on bus drivers was due to racism. Funny that, that excuse came from someone from one of those cricketing nations but it seems it's not racist to generalise about a certain race of people.
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I thought I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread for a similar thing.

So I'm in year 10 this year. This year, as part of PLP, we have to do some work experience in week 7 of term 2. I'm thinking of going to Southink Aldgate depot. I will obviously talk to my parents/teacher and eventually the depot staff, but I was wondering whether anyone on here had any other advice?

All help appreciated,

Data (Ryan).
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
simonl

Post by simonl »

Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

Because you need to be able to drive any vehicle in the fleet. If the depot you work at has a bendy or tag they will most likely belong to a particular line you will be required to work sooner or later.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Adelaide Hills DD

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I thought I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread for a similar thing.

So I'm in year 10 this year. This year, as part of PLP, we have to do some work experience in week 7 of term 2. I'm thinking of going to Southink Aldgate depot. I will obviously talk to my parents/teacher and eventually the depot staff, but I was wondering whether anyone on here had any other advice?

All help appreciated,

Data (Ryan).
I doubt that Aldgate will have much for you to do. The most I could think of would be rosters and Comms but that involves Inductions. You cannot just be with the drivers all day either (trust me, I tried).

I did a week down at Lonsdale and it was a great experience and a good learning curve of how it all runs behind the scenes. So if that's what you are into, go for it.
simonl wrote:Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.
For us in the hills, we have almost the same amount of tags/artics as we do rigids, so you would be pretty useless if you didn't have a HR.
What even is a bus?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

simonl wrote:Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.
All three Adelaide Metro service providers have artics in their fleets; and I think you would be hard pressed to find a depot that doesn't have an artic. As already mentioned; Mt. Barker and Aldgate depots have tag axle buses in addition to artics.

As a result, it is a requirement for employment with all three Adelaide Metro contractors that you hold a HR licence.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:I thought I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread for a similar thing.

All help appreciated,

Data (Ryan).
I doubt that Aldgate will have much for you to do. The most I could think of would be rosters and Comms but that involves Inductions. You cannot just be with the drivers all day either (trust me, I tried).

I did a week down at Lonsdale and it was a great experience and a good learning curve of how it all runs behind the scenes. So if that's what you are into, go for it.
For us in the hills, we have almost the same amount of tags/artics as we do rigids, so you would be pretty useless if you didn't have a HR.[/quote]

Thanks for that AdeliadeHillsDD. Just out of interest, when you went to Lonsdale, what time did you have to get there each morning? I'm just thinking that I can't drive yet, and I live in Stirling, which is quite a long way from Lonsdale. I'm sure if and when I organise it they will tell me, but just an idea would be nice.

On another note, which buses are the tag axles? Is it the 14.5s, becuase I though the SG280s were the only tag axle artics. Unless my definition of 'tag' is wrong...
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

14.5's are tag axles. Those SG280's would've been rear steer.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Adelaide Hills DD

It takes around 45mins from here to Lonsdale but I was there from 9am to 5pm, so your parents may have to come pick you up/drop off
What even is a bus?
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Looking at South Australia learner rules 75 hours of supervised driving and 15 hours of night time driving then P1 then P2 before you look at anything else.What happen to good old days learning to drive.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15

Return to “Employment in the Transport Industry”