[Oct 2014] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: [Oct 2014] SA Transport observations

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Torrens_5022 wrote:Can anyone explain the bus contract areas?
I thought they were rigid with very little overlaps, but in Blackwood there are three different bus companies operating three different regions, Light City Buses on the North - South region, 600, 601, 605, G30 and 694. Torrens Transit East - West region, 173, 195, 196, 197x and Southlink Hills 892, 893 and 894.
An overhaul of the system would be good.
The 195/196 used to be with LCB but due to late running it was changed to Torrens Along with the 230/232 (through running). The 173 892 are school buses, so they are exempt from the contract region rules, more or less, and the 893/894 are more Upper Sturt feeders and connect to/from Stirling/Crafers mostly these days.They only end at B'Wood Stn because it is a convenient place and also the 894 (194) is quite an old route, so to change it would be silly (not that many people use it anyway). You also notice that the 894 goes through Hawthorndene via Hawthorndene Drive, not via Sycamore Crescent/Suffolk Road like all other buses via Hawthorndene (195/6/694), so as not to act like a feeder and create competition. On another note, am I the only one to notice that most Hawthorndene/Blackwood buses are *9x series buses, for example 195, 196, 197X, 694, 893 and 894?

EDIT: looks like jibb beat me to replying!
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

There is some good reading in the history section. But, in the 1980s, route numbers were simplified. The buses that headed down Unley Rd were given the three digit number series 19x. The only services that remain unchanged through this time are 195 and 196.

The Upper Sturt are buses had the number 193 and 194. When they stopped running from the city, they were renumbered to the current numbers, in a nutshell.

197 and 198 existed too. They ran to Blackwood and then down to Aberfoyle Hub (current 600/601).

The 694... Who knows how they came up with that number.

A lot has been written in the history section. Have a read!!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

jibb wrote:
TA3001 wrote:L94UB 2558 is finally back in service after spending most of the year in or next to the workshops at Elizabeth depot. Nice to see that it was repaired instead of being sent to the scrap heap.
I doubt if any of the 3 companies can afford to loose buses as none of them are flushed with spares,and there is always a few out of action for various periods with small to large problems.For example LCB O-Bahn Artic 1127 has been out of action for over 3 months,presumably with major engine problems!,and I am sure there are other buses with all the companies in similar situations.
MAN NL202 2228 must be another one in this category, as I haven't seen it for ages. The reason that it's out of service wouldn't relate to unreliability. Is it feasible to repair a bus that only has 6-7 years of service life left?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

bigrobbo wrote:There is some good reading in the history section. But, in the 1980s, route numbers were simplified. The buses that headed down Unley Rd were given the three digit number series 19x. The only services that remain unchanged through this time are 195 and 196.

The Upper Sturt are buses had the number 193 and 194. When they stopped running from the city, they were renumbered to the current numbers, in a nutshell.

197 and 198 existed too. They ran to Blackwood and then down to Aberfoyle Hub (current 600/601).

Don't forget that for a while, route 195 was replaced with route 194; which ran via Kalyra Rd and Gloucester Dr in lieu of Belair Rd.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Nick

Post by Nick »

Torrens_5022 wrote:Can anyone explain the bus contract areas?
I thought they were rigid with very little overlaps, but in Blackwood there are three different bus companies operating three different regions, Light City Buses on the North - South region, 600, 601, 605, G30 and 694. Torrens Transit East - West region, 173, 195, 196, 197x and Southlink Hills 892, 893 and 894.
An overhaul of the system would be good.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/conten ... PROVED.pdf

That map above shows the contract areas so you can see what contracts are "intruding" on another contractors area
Tonsley213
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Tonsley213 »

Why does it even matter? So long as the service is run on time and is clean it doesn't matter what contractor does what and who intrudes on who, they aren't competing for validations.
Lt. Commander Data

bigrobbo wrote:There is some good reading in the history section. But, in the 1980s, route numbers were simplified. The buses that headed down Unley Rd were given the three digit number series 19x. The only services that remain unchanged through this time are 195 and 196.

Maybe the number 694 was introduced when the 693-699 buses were around, (current 600/601/605, and replacement to the old 197/198) and it seemed a good idea at the time to number it 694 to bridge the gap between 693 and 695.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tonsley213 wrote:Why does it even matter? So long as the service is run on time and is clean it doesn't matter what contractor does what and who intrudes on who, they aren't competing for validations.
I agree 100% on that.

Just Posted it so people chould see what areas come under who
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

jibb wrote:It is inevitable there will be overlaps.Glenelg,Marion(all 3 contractors), Port Adelaide. Paradise I/c,TTP ,Salisbury,Elizabeth and Mawson Lakes all come to mind,just to name some of them-all have multiple contractors-it is unavoidable with the present contract set up!
195/196 were originally LCB's,but they lost them to Torrens Transit in July 2013,and I can't see that decision being reversed.
I live in Edwardstown and I am serviced by all 3 bus contractors as well as rail. The 190 from Torrens, 241 from Transfield and Southlink buses on South Road all less than 10 min walk
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:The 195/196 used to be with LCB but due to late running it was changed to Torrens Along with the 230/232 (through running).
Oh dear, someone doesn't know the facts...

Routes don't get changed between contractors because of late running. H30 & B10 services often tend to run late with consecutive buses often playing leapfrog. Let's hand them to LCB or SL then!!

The routes that were changed were done because of a shortage of buses at LCB and a surplus at TT, as well as these routes terminating too far away from LCB's depots. Unley Rd & Harrison Rd buses run much better with Mile End Depot & Port Depot at either end. Marden buses run much better with Newton Depot as the closest depot. The futher away termini are away from depots the less reliability these routes will have.

Remember at the time LCB did not have Wingfield Depot so all buses on the corridor from Port Adelaide to Blackwood had to run to/from St Agnes or Morphettville, and that is a LOT of dead running on each trip.
jibb

Post by jibb »

I think Lt Commander was correct Eagle Eye.My records and referral to the Ministers comments at the time of the announcement of LCB loosing those 8 routes was incorporated with their substantial fines for their continual poor performance which included very late running in both their contract areas. It had nothing to do with the location of their depots etc!
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

jibb wrote:I think Lt Commander was correct Eagle Eye.My records and referral to the Ministers comments at the time of the announcement of LCB loosing those 8 routes was incorporated with their substantial fines for their continual poor performance which included very late running in both their contract areas. It had nothing to do with the location of their depots etc!
I wouldn't have said nothing to do with it..... I can remember quotes from rod hook suggesting LCB had tendered to operate with less than suffice numbers of fleet vehicles. LCB then followed up by operating with mistakes such as short turnaround times, computer software poor time programming for shift planning, late running and driver shortages/lack of route knowledge initially.....

Most of this can be contributed to by only operating two depots at almost complete opposite ends to Port Adelaide, Arndale, Salisbury/Elizabeth and CBD - general late running causing short vehicle availability numbers to decrease even further, dead running between termini and either depot further reducing fleet availability; dead running times based on Obahn track into the city for cut ins with non Obahn vehicles allocated/available.... There are many combinations that can mostly be attributed from operating out of the two depots.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:My records and referral to the Ministers comments at the time of the announcement of LCB loosing those 8 routes was incorporated with their substantial fines for their continual poor performance which included very late running in both their contract areas. It had nothing to do with the location of their depots etc!
And since when do we believe everything a Minister says???
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Update on "Salisbury" depot... Lunch room and coordinators office have been installed onsite, I'd hazard a guess it will open in the coming three weeks? Fuel bowser still to be installed and front gates to be done. (Plus landscaping according to plans).....anyone have a firm date yet?
Nick

Post by Nick »

This sign was not up this morning ( stop used to be painted on the pole) and its up now, so went up during the day. Its a brand new sign. I was surprised to find ot said J2 not C2? Does this posably meen the J services will return to golden grove / Greenwith or they just put the wrong sign up hah

Pic taken stop 74 Target Hill road, Greenwith on the down

Lt. Commander Data

Not 100% sure, but they probably just put the wrong up the sign. The Adelaide Metro are very slack with their signs, because in Stirling, on Mt Barker Road (Going towards the city) there is a sign saying that the 165 166 and 820 should turn right and the 194 and 828 turn left :shock: Furthermore, on Avenue Rd at the Ayres Hill Rd/Milan Tce intersection (now roundabout) there is a sign telling the 193 to turn right. Not sure if it is still there since the new roundabout was constructed, and in Crafers there is a sign for the 165/166 to turn down Piccadilly Rd, and I could go on and on. I do hope that the J services are going to service Golden Grove/surrounds again, but I find it highly unlikely due to contract regions :(
Nick

Post by Nick »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Not 100% sure, but they probably just put the wrong up the sign. The Adelaide Metro are very slack with their signs, because in Stirling, on Mt Barker Road (Going towards the city) there is a sign saying that the 165 166 and 820 should turn right and the 194 and 828 turn left :shock: Furthermore, on Avenue Rd at the Ayres Hill Rd/Milan Tce intersection (now roundabout) there is a sign telling the 193 to turn right. Not sure if it is still there since the new roundabout was constructed, and in Crafers there is a sign for the 165/166 to turn down Piccadilly Rd, and I could go on and on. I do hope that the J services are going to service Golden Grove/surrounds again, but I find it highly unlikely due to contract regions :(
Hah yea who know but you would think a brand new one whoud be right w will just need to wait and hope :P
jibb

Post by jibb »

Normally changes to route signage,stops etc would only be put up by contractors the last few days before changes are due to take place-it is therefore highly unlikely that this is something that is going to happen.As has been suggested "it is most probably a mistake"!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Eagle Eye wrote: 1127 has moved recently and has its air back so it's probably been started up, moved around on its own steam and got its necessary parts. It should return to traffic in the near future.
1127 Was out again today. Dont know if it was its first day back.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Thanks Nick for the update on 1127.
Artic 1850 hasn't been around for a while- ?
Nick

Post by Nick »

jibb wrote:Thanks Nick for the update on 1127.
Artic 1850 hasn't been around for a while- ?
I was on 1850 today so she is till out there :D. But it was having acceleration issues on the weekend
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

This morning at 9:30am I saw a H Class Tram in the city heading towards Glenelg. As I was crossing Hindley St at Leigh St and I saw it on King William St. I could not tell if it had passengers on or not.

I rode 2580 this evening. It sounded very sick. It struggled with the hill at WCH, as well as the Main North Rd hills.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

bigrobbo wrote:This morning at 9:30am I saw a H Class Tram in the city heading towards Glenelg. As I was crossing Hindley St at Leigh St and I saw it on King William St. I could not tell if it had passengers on or not.

I rode 2580 this evening. It sounded very sick. It struggled with the hill at WCH, as well as the Main North Rd hills.
Did it have trouble changing gears? Or was it something else? Some of the K230/K280s at Elizabeth have started to develop issues lately. 2560 has a busted diff pinion bearing, which is uncommon on the rigids (especially a non track one), 2562 sounded terrible when I went on it a couple of months ago.

Also, 2563 has some kind of retarder issue or something (I think it was out of service for quite a while), and 2525 sounded very weird as well when I went on it not that long ago.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Just no guts.

No problems in changing gear. Just had no take off speed and no grunt at all heading up the small hills.
jibb

Post by jibb »

thedom wrote:Update on "Salisbury" depot... Lunch room and coordinators office have been installed onsite, I'd hazard a guess it will open in the coming three weeks? Fuel bowser still to be installed and front gates to be done. (Plus landscaping according to plans).....anyone have a firm date yet?
Any further update on how work at this new depot is progressing?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”