Blast from the past

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Re: Blast from the past

Post by 102 at 1625 »

I think that 5xx is 585 or 595.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Awesome stuff, I remember the city in 1990 as a 19 year old, still working there 24 years later :oops:
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Merc & Renault Bus_1

Post by Merc & Renault Bus_1 »

I've had a quick look at the video intro, I've had a close look at the Renault bus that was doing the 106 and it is 585,
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

Good find. 583-5 & 6 were so perky to drive.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Most of the inside stuff is filmed inside the QV1 building.
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Post by panther998 »

esperanceguy wrote:Upon closer look, he came into the city via Riverside Drive, but still for some reason approached the (R&I) Tower from St Geo Tce West...
Surely due to a combination of someone from the WA bush / outback on a first visit to Perth and the unhelpful / misleading signage erected by Main Roads WA in those days (and still?) ....
Bear in mind that there was nil Graham Farmer Fwy in the early 1990s, so the approach to Perth CBD from 'the North' was typically (and sign-posted) via Great Eastern Hwy and the Causeway. Which is where the confusion often set in for 'first-timers'. Because there was no sign stating Perth CBD was in a specific left or right or straight ahead direction when approaching the western end of the Causeway. Instead, the signage quoted 3 options using street names, Riverside Drive, Adelaide Tce, Hay St. Anyone unfamiliar with those streets and where they led (and still do lead) would tend to be baffled - and potentially choose the wrong one for reaching their destination.

Then again, the use of Riverside Drive westbound in the 'Perth arrival' scene appears to be as much an 'artistic' mechanism as anything else, almost certainly NOT a portrayal of 'reality'. I base this 'hypothesis' on the fact that, given the angle of the sun in these sequences, it is very clear that the hero's car was filmed westbound in Riverside Drive in the (late?) afternoon, but eastbound along St Georges Tce, between Mill and Barrack Sts, during relatively early morning ....

True, he might have got disoriented and ended up spending a night in his 'Yank-tank' parked up somewhere until the next morning. Equally true, his reason for being in Perth seems to be attending a morning meeting of some description, so he possibly wanted to make sure he was in the Perth CBD in plenty of time. But Gawrd knows where he intended to park ...

Personally, I am hard pressed to get beyond the 'artistic licence' angle. Let's face it, in terms of this production, the film and TV industry mainly existed (still exists) to entertain the masses. Not to portray reality. Even in so called 'reality TV'. But not in a series like Jackaroo .... surely ?

Best part is that a Transperth Renault (585) got to feature in the series ....
adx666

Post by adx666 »

:shock: Its gone, the video is no longer on youtube :(
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Merc & Renault Bus_1

Post by Merc & Renault Bus_1 »

Might have been removed due to copyright reasons
adx666