The Semi Trailer bus and Coach?

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

The Semi Trailer bus and Coach?

Post by Denv12 »

It seems that some ideas are worth bringing back.So,what about these:
The semi trailer bus.
The semi trailer coach.
What would they be like? What about dimensions?
If a semi trailer coach version could be built it could cater for the busy interstate routes where those who choose not to fly and those who dont want to go by train,could cater for them.
The luggage compartment would need to be located at the lowest part of the trailer.The passenger levels above that.
It would be able to have passengers on 2 levels.It could be equipment to offer some form of refreshments,maybe vending machines.The service would have to offer limited stops due to be able to travel longer distances without refuelling.
The addition of staff onboard the trailer.Where would the off duty drivers bunk be?

What about the semi trailer bus? These would be more suited to the mining towns taking staff from the township to their workplace. They would be suited to heavy passenger traffic routes where limited stops or even direct express services between bus each terminius for suburb to city.

As there are aerodynamic devices available for trucks it would also be an advantage if the trailers were aerodynamically designed to reduce drag and improve fuel economy to start with.

If you'd like to make some suggestions here please do.
Attachments
Semi trailer bus Woomera,Dept Of Supply.
Semi trailer bus Woomera,Dept Of Supply.
D1000010 (422 x 307).jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
Last edited by Denv12 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maladjusted

Re: The Semi Trailer bus and Coach?

Post by Maladjusted »

Might have to overcome some legislative issues with passengers riding in Trailers.
Round the 1950's I know Brisbane wouldn't allow the use of Trailer buses in town.
Though there are some major advantages in using trailers, more ability to replace the PM if off road for repairs, just unhook it and change the PM to a new one. No Driver contact with the pax!!
Last edited by Maladjusted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Maladjusted wrote:Might have to overcome some legislative issues with passengers riding in Trailers.
Round the 1950's I know Brisbane wouldn't allow the use of Trailer buses in town.
I think that if people want them back in vogue then they'll attempt to get legislation through if there was a demand for them.They'll have to come up with new rules/legislations,etc.Get everyone talking about in the bus industry and thats a good start.When magazines,newspapers and tv get a hold of this idea thats when things happen.It will take time.
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

If a semi trailer coach version could be built it could cater for the busy interstate routes where those who choose not to fly and those who dont want to go by train,could cater for them.
Therein lies the problem... market is small to non-existent.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

chuboy wrote:
Therein lies the problem... market is small to non-existent.
I think by posting here we get people taking about it.The bus industry is known for hearing about things quickly.
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

I think semi-trailer buses are as cool as the next person, but let's be realistic. What are the advantages of a semi-trailer bus? Are the disadvantages in terms of ride quality or running costs? What is passenger safety like in an accident? Are these issues significant in relation to modern buses/coaches?

The interstate coach market has more or less dried up as it is, most people are happy to fly, those that aren't will take the train if that is an option, or else they will drive. Your only customers are people who don't have a car and can't/won't fly or take the train. I think it would be a real struggle to justify changing the legislation to allow for pax in a trailer when conventional coaches are doing what jobs there are fine as it is.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

chuboy wrote:I think semi-trailer buses are as cool as the next person, but let's be realistic. What are the advantages of a semi-trailer bus? Are the disadvantages in terms of ride quality or running costs? What is passenger safety like in an accident? Are these issues significant in relation to modern buses/coaches?

The interstate coach market has more or less dried up as it is, most people are happy to fly, those that aren't will take the train if that is an option, or else they will drive. Your only customers are people who don't have a car and can't/won't fly or take the train. I think it would be a real struggle to justify changing the legislation to allow for pax in a trailer when conventional coaches are doing what jobs there are fine as it is.
Point taken.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

For nostalgia's sake, here's an image featuring a Murray Valley Coaches "Roadcruiser" trailer-coach, that was published in an article in the Australian Women's Weekly, in August 1948.

The article looked at the then burgeoning post war Aussie coach tour industry, and especially the numbers of tourists who found romance on the road!

These were the "Golden Years" of long distance coach touring and travel in Australia, and they endured through the 1950's and'60's, until the gradual onset of cheaper air fares brought a slow but sure end to the "party."
Attachments
Womens_Weekly_Article_-_MV_Coach_by_the_Murray_River (900 x 580).jpg.jpg
400acres

Post by 400acres »

One of these for sale in torumbary northern victoria
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

400acres wrote:One of these for sale in torumbary northern victoria
Any pics or link?
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

I could well stand to be corrected but I have an idea these two units were originally put into service new by Bertie Bond of Bond's Tours in Adelaide....... hmmmmm......
One similar unit was used in his partnership with Len Tuit on their 'Alice Springs - Darwin Motor Service' operation, and after Bertie's unfortunate withdrawal from the industry due to the Horsham accident, this unit passed into Tuit's hands.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Here's a little series of rare colour shots of one of Bertie Bond's trailer buses painted in the livery of the "Alice Springs - Darwin Motor Service" in which he partnered with Len Tuit.
The images come from 1952, and were likely taken quite early in the joint collaboration. This vehicle was leased by Bond to the fledgling joint operation.
It's quite evident that trailer buses were reasonably prolific in the post war passenger carriage scene, as the industry was very much finding its feet.....
Attachments
Acknowledgment: Kevin Harris - From State Library of South Australia
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Can you recognise the make of the tug?
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

My instincts are telling me it's a Federal SI, but I'm only guessing.....
Do you have any suggestions?
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Another Bonds semi trailer coach.Picture from the Ken Magor collection.
Attachments
BONDS TOURS INTERNATIONAL KB7 AND TRAILER
BONDS TOURS INTERNATIONAL KB7 AND TRAILER
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Yes, and the press reporting on this unit at the time, in late 1949, described it as being equipped with air conditioning and lavatory, not to mention the forward 'observation deck.'
It went into service on Bond's Alice Springs - Darwin passenger service, and was absorbed into the later "Alice Springs - Darwin Motor Service" jointly operated by Bond and Tuit.
It also ended up in Tuit's hands after Bertie Bond went into voluntary liquidation.
Pictured below the same unit with Tuit in 1956, but still carrying Bond's signage. Note the measures taken to allow better radiator airflow due to overheating problems.
The complete Tuit business was bought out by Ansett Pioneer in 1959, thus providing Reg with an immediate entrée to Central Australian coach touring and accommodation operations.
Image courtesy of Ron Dingwell.
Attachments
'Overlander' Trailer Bus - Alice Springs
'Overlander' Trailer Bus - Alice Springs
Tuit's - ex Bonds Tours - KB7 Inter Trailer Bus 1956 (820 x 483).jpg.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”