South Australian Bus Companies:name them from any year.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

South Australian Bus Companies:name them from any year.

Post by Denv12 »

Bulls Bus Service.
Bulls Bus Service.
1.1 (578 x 350).jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 16703 times
Over the years in South Australia there have been some big names of local bus companies that were around when The STA Adelaide took over.I am starting this topic to name any bus company,past and present.That includes all bus and coach companies.You are welcome to contribute anything from photos,travel brochures,documemts,etc.Please help out if you can.

Here are the ones I remember:
Sellick's Coaches/Bus Fleet Hire Service(mum & dad's former business when I was a child)
Briscoe's bus and coach services.
Bulls bus services
Bowman's Bus Service
Johnson's Coaches
Associated Tourist Service
McKenzie's(the late Reg McKenzie Taperoo)
Stateliner.
Premier Roadlines
Henstridge bus service
Thomas Tours
Lang's Tours
Ex serviceman's
Cole's charter coaches
Graeber's
Lewis Bros.
Quest Tours
Wadmore's
Greyhound
Ansett Pioneer
Choats passenger service pty ltd
Bridgelands
Morphetts Tours
Transways Service
Harris Coaches
Quervials (or Gwerviall bus service -Riverland)He bought an ex TAA from Jack Sellick in the early 1970s.It was painted in a similar livery to the Freighter Lawtons bodied OPS1 of Sellicks Coaches.(refer colour photo).
Pendles
Murray Valley Coaches
Yorke Peninsula Buslines
Riverside Bus service(Murray Bridge)
Murray Bridge pasenger services
Mount Gambier Motor Services
Salisbury passenger services
Foote's bus services
Worthleys
Australian Roadlines
Birdwood Mannum
Gunters coaches
ABM
Ashbys(Keith Ashby & father Ross)
Slatterys(Reg)
STA Roadlines
Ambassadors
Admiral Roadlines
Flynn's buslines
Grantham
Roller Coaster Tours
Rainbow Tours
St.Agnes Tours
Dial A Bus/Coachlines of Australia/Sandgroper express
Barossa Valley Coach lines
Port-Glenelg bus services(Not connected to Morphett's Tours".)

Many thanks to everyone who contributed here.This topic is bringing out SA history.Thanks again.
Attachments
This bus Belonged to Keith Ashby.It did the service from Adelaide Hills to Adelaide.
This bus Belonged to Keith Ashby.It did the service from Adelaide Hills to Adelaide.
6..217 (226 x 216).jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 16702 times
Barossa Line Coach Services.
Barossa Line Coach Services.
2.26 (246 x 161).jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 16702 times
Sellick's Coaches.
Sellick's Coaches.
1.4 (615 x 438) (203 x 145).jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 16702 times
Sellick's Coaches.
Sellick's Coaches.
Last edited by Denv12 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: South Australian Bus Companies:name them from any year.

Post by TT »

The Port-Glenelg bus service was Morphetts buses(R L Morphett??, but not the Morphetts Tours you've mentioned in your list). They had a small depot in Military Road at Grange. They also did the Tennyson school bus that ran from Henley High (because MTT buses didn't go any further north in that area than the 28-terminus in Military Rd at Grange). Morphetts Port-Glenelg service was taken over by the MTT and became the 33/34 routes (Port - Marino) in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

TT wrote:The Port-Glenelg bus service was Morphetts buses(R L Morphett??, but not the Morphetts Tours you've mentioned in your list). They had a small depot in Military Road at Grange. They also did the Tennyson school bus that ran from Henley High (because MTT buses didn't go any further north in that area than the 28-terminus in Military Rd at Grange). Morphetts Port-Glenelg service was taken over by the MTT and became the 33/34 routes (Port - Marino) in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
I remember that company on Military road just near the shops at the corner of Jetty Road and Military road.Cant remember what they had.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Depot was about 100 metres south of the shops on eastern side of Military Road. You can still puck the spot cause the house that's now built there has bitumen the full width of the block from the road to the house. I used to go on their buses a lot (sometimes the Tennyson school bus even tho I lived at Grange, and also the church youth group I belonged to used them as charters.). But can't remember what buses they were but do remember they were very old even for their time. Something makes me think they had a semi-trailer bus setup that they used on charters but could be wrong, would gave been mid60s such a long time ago.
jonwendes
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer ex TRC #38

Post by jonwendes »

Here's a couple more...

Key Tours, Para Hills West
B59127.jpg
Banksia Tours, Houghton
001 (2).jpg
Holiday Makers (Magic Carpet Travel) Gepps Cross
hm1.jpg
A 6V92TA Silver 350 @ 2000rpm... The ULTIMATE aural orgasam!
If it don't blow black, take it back! Detroit Diesel
Please LIKE us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BRUGeorgeTown
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I recon Magor's Bus Company was around then. My Nanna's friend used to own Magor's until LinkSA took their school services over which killed them.
(Her sirname was Magor)
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Birdseye's

Regards, Paul
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

jonwendes wrote:Here's a couple more...

Key Tours, Para Hills West
B59127.jpg
Banksia Tours, Houghton
001 (2).jpg
Holiday Makers (Magic Carpet Travel) Gepps Cross
hm1.jpg
Andy Neave was with Holidaymakers/V/line around that time,I think.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

What I think was the first Adelaide Transport Map of March 1972 contained the list of Adelaide private operators:
Who owned Transway?
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

system improver wrote:What I think was the first Adelaide Transport Map of March 1972 contained the list of Adelaide private operators:
Who owned Transway?
That is some history there.I had forgotten about several of those.Was Bridgland Tours and Golden Tours the same company?
system improver

Denv12 wrote:...Was Bridgland Tours and Golden Tours the same company?
I believe so.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

system improver wrote:
Denv12 wrote:...Was Bridgland Tours and Golden Tours the same company?
I believe so.
I saw photos some where.I'm sure their livery was the same.
GM

Post by GM »

Winders and Wadeson was an SA operator in the 40's? GM
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

system improver wrote:What I think was the first Adelaide Transport Map of March 1972 contained the list of Adelaide private operators:
Who owned Transway?
Fred Lymn.Started in 5/57 from his service station in Salisbury.
system improver

Thomas Tours was previously known as Westbourne Park Bus Service. In 1955, the owner was A J Thomas (I think Arthur), and his son Ken was the owner when TT was sold to the MTT. Perhaps there is other history of Westbourne Park BS.

Rathjen Bros Ltd, who ran the Murray Bridge - Adelaide route, sold to BJ & RL Frazer in July 1955.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

system improver wrote:Thomas Tours was previously known as Westbourne Park Bus Service. In 1955, the owner was A J Thomas (I think Arthur), and his son Ken was the owner when TT was sold to the MTT. Perhaps there is other history of Westbourne Park BS.

Rathjen Bros Ltd, who ran the Murray Bridge - Adelaide route, sold to BJ & RL Frazer in July 1955.
Bruce Frazer incorporated the business as Murray Bridge Passenger Service Proprietary Limited-Registered 17/12/59.Son Gary and his wife were the shareholders prior to the sale to Link SA.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

burrumbus wrote:
system improver wrote:Thomas Tours was previously known as Westbourne Park Bus Service. In 1955, the owner was A J Thomas (I think Arthur), and his son Ken was the owner when TT was sold to the MTT. Perhaps there is other history of Westbourne Park BS.

Bruce Frazer incorporated the business as Murray Bridge Passenger Service Proprietary Limited-Registered 17/12/59.Son Gary and his wife were the shareholders prior to the sale to Link SA.
Frazers sold the business to Link SA between 8/08 and 10/08.
system improver

Winders and Wadeson sold the Glenelg - Westbourne Park route service to A Thomas in 1955. Thomas formed Westbourne Park Bus Service at this time. It was later renamed by his son (Ken) Thomas Tours. Ken Thomas is now deceased.

Lewis Bros sold to Quest Tours (date unclear).
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

system improver wrote:Winders and Wadeson sold the Glenelg - Westbourne Park route service to A Thomas in 1955. Thomas formed Westbourne Park Bus Service at this time. It was later renamed by his son (Ken) Thomas Tours. Ken Thomas is now deceased.

Lewis Bros sold to Quest Tours (date unclear).
I had always believed that Lewis Bros had changed their bus company name to Quest Tours after the accident on the Hay Plains.
Michael Flynn of Flynn's Buslines was one of the Quest Tours mechanics at Provident Ave.Must have been before 1985 though.
I started there in Mid 1985.
Tony Trembath was chief Mechanic and Keith Ashby was there before him.Tony had owned a Volvo B10M with a Domino Metroliner body.Keith Ashby was a former bus company owner himself years ago when they lived in the Adelaide Hills.
Last edited by Denv12 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system improver

Quest Tours was sign written Alato Pty Ltd as the owning company. According to ASIC records, Alato dates back to 7/7/68 and was previously called The Bus Company P/L and became Bus Australia (No1) P/L. It was deregistered 21/2/05. Maybe the Lewis family was involved all along, perhaps with others. Quest Tours seemed to operate out of the old Lewis Glynde depot.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here is a selection of former Adelaide private bus operators.Pictures from the Andrew Potts and Graeme Turnbull collections.
Attachments
CAMPBELL`S BUS SERVICES AEC RELIANCE 161-911
CAMPBELL`S BUS SERVICES AEC RELIANCE 161-911
CHOAT`S PASSENGER SERVICE BEDFORD SB3 49-000
CHOAT`S PASSENGER SERVICE BEDFORD SB3 49-000
COLE BUS SERVICE ALBION VK55 RWH-076
COLE BUS SERVICE ALBION VK55 RWH-076
ELIZABETH PASSENGER SERVICE 33 BEDFORD VAM70 RJC-616
ELIZABETH PASSENGER SERVICE 33 BEDFORD VAM70 RJC-616
HENSTRIDGE BUS SERVICE 12 LEYLAND WOLDMASTER RVO-410 (ex MTT 846)
HENSTRIDGE BUS SERVICE 12 LEYLAND WOLDMASTER RVO-410 (ex MTT 846)
LEWIS BROS ALBION VK55 RTB-844
LEWIS BROS ALBION VK55 RTB-844
SALISBURY PASSENGER SERVICE AEC RELIANCE 114-740
SALISBURY PASSENGER SERVICE AEC RELIANCE 114-740
SLATTERY`S BUS SERVICE 8 AEC REGAL IV RVR-729 (ex MTT 743)
SLATTERY`S BUS SERVICE 8 AEC REGAL IV RVR-729 (ex MTT 743)
TRANSWAY 4 AEC REGAL IV RHV-837 (ex MTT 643)
TRANSWAY 4 AEC REGAL IV RHV-837 (ex MTT 643)
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

system improver wrote:Quest Tours was sign written Alato Pty Ltd as the owning company. According to ASIC records, Alato dates back to 7/7/68 and was previously called The Bus Company P/L and became Bus Australia (No1) P/L. It was deregistered 21/2/05. Maybe the Lewis family was involved all along, perhaps with others. Quest Tours seemed to operate out of the old Lewis Glynde depot.
Good evening.I found some information relating to Quest Tours.
There were 2 companies.
-Alato Pty.Ltd -as System Improver states above.John Lewis registered this company.
-Quest Group Tours Pty.Ltd.Registered 30/6/77 by John Lewis.Now renamed Max Winkless Pty.Ltd and a current company.
Lewis sold the shareholdings in both companies in August 1979 to 2 employees of his but led by Don Wilson.Alato Pty.Ltd,as System Improver states would seem to have been the owning company for the coaches.The sale included 24 vehicles on charter and tour work.Alato /Quest Group Tours worked out of the Lewis depot in Provident Avenue,Glynde.
These two companies were sold to Max Winkless in 1985 who at that stage had Across Australia Coachlines.Winkless amalgamated the businesses to form Bus Australia.Winkless also used Provident Avenue ,Glynde as the depot.
Also in 8/79 John Lewis sold the Bull's Tourist Service business to Premier Roadlines with the Adelaide -Coober Pedy route.This severed the Lewis' familys 55 year connection with the bus industry.Lewis retained Bull's Freight Service truck operation from Adelaide-Darwin,and three car wrecking yards in Adelaide,plus property assets.
Hope this is of interest.
TX
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland RoyalTigerWorldmaster

Post by TX »

In the 1980s or early 1990s, I recall the Aldinga Bus Service operated a route from Aldinga and Port Willunga. I think the owner had an ex-STA AEC Swift.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

In regards to the Salisbury Passenger Service AEC Reliance -114-740,as per photo,in 1979 and 1980 I was working for Truckland CMV on South Road Regency Park at the time when an identical or maybe even this particular vehicle was in stock for sale.It had been converted to a mobile show room.It was painted metallic blue.Its interesting that the photo above shows an AEC badge with an Albion lettering above it.

In regards to Quest Tours,I was working there from mid 1985.Max Winkless had then bought Quest Tours and used its Provident Ave Glynde depot.Buscoach Pty Ltd operated from there too.Alf Brewer.The 2 x 40 ft Dominoes were painted in the Across Australia fleet colours ,numbers 24 and 25.The 11.3 metre Quest Tour Dominoes retained their original red and white livery.These remained in the fleet and were used on tours.Their numbers were 21,22,23.

The Bova's where shipped from Bova factory to Melbourne and were driven to Adelaide.They were put into service from there.The one that caught fire near Callington heading to Adelaide in 1986 was stored in its ashtray configuration in the depot.I dont know what happened to it after that.

As Perth depot received their new Bovas then Adelaide depot received the 2 Volgren Twin decks,number 54 and 55.And the 2 mercedes Ansair high decks.Some of their Denning Denairs did service on express work for AAC and tour work with Quest Tours.

At the end of school year in 1985 all buses,school runs,etc were sold off.Only coaches remained in the fleet.
Attachments
Truck & Bus advert.
Truck & Bus advert.
marc506

Post by marc506 »

Denv12 wrote:In regards to the Salisbury Passenger Service AEC Reliance -114-740,as per photo,in 1979 and 1980 I was working for Truckland CMV on South Road Regency Park at the time when an identical or maybe even this particular vehicle was in stock for sale.It had been converted to a mobile show room.It was painted metallic blue.Its interesting that the photo above shows an AEC badge with an Albion lettering above it.

In regards to Quest Tours,I was working there from mid 1985.Max Winkless had then bought Quest Tours and used its Provident Ave Glynde depot.Buscoach Pty Ltd operated from there too.Alf Brewer.The 2 x 40 ft Dominoes were painted in the Across Australia fleet colours ,numbers 24 and 25.The 11.3 metre Quest Tour Dominoes retained their original red and white livery.These remained in the fleet and were used on tours.Their numbers were 21,22,23.

The Bova's where shipped from Bova factory to Melbourne and were driven to Adelaide.They were put into service from there.The one that caught fire near Callington heading to Adelaide in 1986 was stored in its ashtray configuration in the depot.I dont know what happened to it after that.

As Perth depot received their new Bovas then Adelaide depot received the 2 Volgren Twin decks,number 54 and 55.And the 2 mercedes Ansair high decks.Some of their Denning Denairs did service on express work for AAC and tour work with Quest Tours.

At the end of school year in 1985 all buses,school runs,etc were sold off.Only coaches remained in the fleet.
Quest had the contract to do a school run for my primary school in the early 80s taking over from A.B.M. Usually it was the ex-MTT/STA Regal VIs but occasionally one of the Tourmasters would turn up or even the Double Decker.

Can also remember the old WorldMaster (bus #1) with the pre-selector gearbox. That thing could be big and cold on a winter's morning.

They had a Semi-trailor bus but never got a chance to go on that one and can't remember any of their other buses.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”