2014 Forum Competition

News and comments about this board.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

2014 Forum Competition

Post by Daniel »

The ATDB Admin team have decided to hold a follow up competition to replace our standard "Bus Australia" banner.

This time we would like to move away from the destination sign theme and would ask entrants to get creative with their efforts. A strong entry would incorporate colour photos and perhaps multiple pictures from around Australia, not just of route buses.

To allow for more detail the banner should be 780x160 pixels, which is substantially larger than our current one.

In addition, we ask that entries incorporate the title 'Australian Transport Discussion Board" and the "busaustralia.com" subtitle as the current text will be removed once the winning entry is uploaded.

We look forward to seeing the efforts of our members and will be offering a copy of the 2014 Buses calendar to the winner. The prize is funded by the guests advertisements. The winner will be contacted by private message and will be required to supply a postage address to receive your prize.

Entries close Saturday 1 February. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your efforts! :D Thank you!

R44
Favourite Vehicle: MO-8205

Re: 2014 Forum Competition

Post by R44 »

Good luck to all entrants. Maybe Kurt can get creative again.
wizardwaffle

Post by wizardwaffle »

Thought I would give it a try. I have incorporated the designs from each state into one design. There is the forward arrow design from Sydney and Melbourne, the colours of Adelaide and Brisbane, the line and the mark on the front of Perth buses. I have also included the old Bus Australia logo design as the destination board for this bus.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Thought I would give it a try. I have incorporated the designs from each state into one design. There is the forward arrow design from Sydney and Melbourne, the colours of Adelaide and Brisbane, the line and the mark on the front of Perth buses. I have also included the old Bus Australia logo design as the destination board for this bus.
In what world is that 780x160 pixels, or even anywhere near small enough to use on the top of every single page?
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
taptap23

Post by taptap23 »

Looks good wizzardwaffle!! But i am sure you could make it smaller? Good luck!
aussiebuses
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405/CC 420

Post by aussiebuses »

I am interested in this competition. Stay tuned for my entry!
wizardwaffle

Post by wizardwaffle »

This more the size you want?

citadis203
Favourite Vehicle: 4000 Railcar

Post by citadis203 »

Daniel wrote: In addition, we ask that entries incorporate the title 'Australian Transport Discussion Board" and the "busaustralia.com" subtitle as the current text will be removed once the winning entry is up
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Whilst I dont want to take Daniel to task, the inclusion of Discussion Board would not allow it to be used on the Bus Australia home page.

I guess we could have a second one without that so it could be used on the home page.
Living in the Shire.
wizardwaffle

Post by wizardwaffle »

Are we going to include the 'Australian Transport Discussion Board" and the "busaustralia.com" subtitle. I spent time on changing the picture and now it may not be needed?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thanks for your efforts - if you are judged the winner we can use both - one on the home page and the other on the Discussion Board. But we will have to wait and see what other submissions we receive.
Living in the Shire.
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

wizardwaffle wrote:Image

Are we going to include the 'Australian Transport Discussion Board" and the "busaustralia.com" subtitle. I spent time on changing the picture and now it may not be needed?
Good on you for giving this a go. You have clearly put in quite an effort. Well done.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

RailwayBus wrote:
In what world is that 780x160 pixels, or even anywhere near small enough to use on the top of every single page?
In dis one

Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

This is my entry. It's not fabulous and it was a quick effort. The red/grey area is a photo that I want to use, but I'm waiting on a response from the photographer before I put it up so I've taken it out for now. I've made two versions. One which has the caption of "busaustralia.com" and one with "Australian Transport Discussion Board". Here's the example of one:
homepage header 2.jpg
homepage header 2.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 15115 times
Credit goes to Scott (The Inspector) for the QR freight train photo.

Thanks,
Mitchul [;
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Mitch, see the following:
In addition, we ask that entries incorporate the title 'Australian Transport Discussion Board" and the "busaustralia.com" subtitle as the current text will be removed once the winning entry is uploaded.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

BUT also see a subsequent post of mine which qualified that. NF must have missed that.
Living in the Shire.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

After receiving the all clear to use the second photo, here are the two headers that I've made. Just to clarify, I was following the observation that Fleet Lists made about having a need for two different ones for the forum and then the homepage.
ATDB Header
ATDB Header
ATDBHeader.jpg (122.38 KiB) Viewed 13822 times
Homepage Header
Homepage Header
homepage header.jpg (114.68 KiB) Viewed 13822 times
As always, credit goes to:
- Scott (The Inspector) for the QR freight train photo, and
- Dave (MTT384) for the photo of the TransWA Scania K124EB

Thanks,
Mitchul [;
PLI
Favourite Vehicle: Busabout Volvo B7RLE/Bustech's

Post by PLI »

Mitch what program did you use?

Thanks,

PLi
• FLEET LISTS • Train • Ferry • Light Rail •
http://trackrecordfl.com/
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Photoshop, mate. Why? :lol:

Thanks,
Mitchul [;
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Looks great Mitch! If I can offer one small suggestion, maybe try a small shadow behind the subtitles – the white text is quite hard to read or even see against surrounding pixels that are near-white. Great work!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

There are a few people who have indicated that they are still finalising their enteries. If I could please have all enteries submitted on here by no later than midnight Friday 14 February 2014. No more additional time will be given.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

On behalf of the Admins, I would like to congratulate Mitch for his winning entry! We will be in touch shortly via PM.
mcpaton

Post by mcpaton »

What did you do to Mitch's graphic to lower the quality? It looks better in the post above than on the header of the site...
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Converted from jpg to gif to reduce file size as per the previous banner. We will work on the clarity to see if it can be improved.
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

Would a PNG be more suitable for it then? I believe they are only slightly larger than GIFs.

Return to “News & Administration”