What to keep an eye out in Canberra?

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I'll be going to Canberra between the 20-25 June. Although I won't have any spare time what should I look out for in the way of buses??? What is worth looking at? I'll see if I can get some photos while I'm over there but I'm basically over there on a tour of politics. For the week we will have the same bus and bus driver from a chartered company that I am unsure of for the whole week to take us everywhere during the day. I'm interested to see ACTION buses that are in similarity with some Perth buses.

Any suggestions on what to keep an eye out and what to graph let me know... :wink:
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Re: What to keep an eye out in Canberra?

Post by Sir Pompously »

The only similar buses we have are the Renault/MACK PR100.2's aswell as 180.2's and more (Than you guys) Renault PR100.3's with different bodies to what you have there.

Not much to really keep an eye out for, however we do have some new 14.5m vehicles hitting the roads. New MAN 18.320 Diesels are hitting the roads aswell. Get plenty of photos of the 100.2's as they will slowly be going over the next few years as we make way for newer buses. 180.2's are around in peak hour (In the City best place is City West to ride on one, or platform 11 at City Interchange in the Afternoon Peak), make sure you get photos and a ride as they are said to be going (and being replaced by 14.5's). Irisbus Agoraline's are crap, ride one. If you like it, keep it. It's yours. Dennis Dart Midi's are an interesting number, as they are imported. They don't go very fast, or very far. But I suppose they are interesting.

You should get some spare time, its just politics :wink:
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Ryan
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1

Post by Ryan »

I'd have a look at the current fleet to see what interests you: http://actbus.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14

For mine, I'd want to get the PR180.2 Artics (Sir P has already mentioned where to find those), and from Perth I'd suggest checking out our Renault Standards (PR100.2 and PR100.3) to see how they compare to yours.

The new MAN 18.320 Diesels are also superb IMO. The 14.5 Scanias are worth a look although are hard to find at the moment as there's only one (?) in service - usually found heading south from City Interchange around 1600 weekdays.
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

We don't get any time to do our own thing. Its a school tour. The last tour from our school got stranded in Europe because of volcanic ash. Hopefully I won't be stuck in Canberra listening to politics. So no chance of any bus riding other than the bus we get for the week. And I'll try get photos while walking with the group except no one knows my hobby so it'll be tricky. But thanks. I'm interested to see the PR100.2's and PR180.2s and the new MAN's. Also the CNG buses would be interesting to see too.
Lemon
Favourite Vehicle: Reno PR100.3 (107/108/990/991)

Post by Lemon »

Ryan wrote:I'd have a look at the current fleet to see what interests you: http://actbus.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14
The new MAN 18.320 Diesels are also superb IMO.
Once you've been on a Volvo B12BLE you will change your mind about that...
One of the last member of the General public to set foot in Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009
"Even if it's free, I'm not buying it"_'Irisbus Rider'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacmathes
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Well its only three days away. I arrive in Canberra late at night then am transported by bus to the ACT/NSW Border for a good nights sleep then busy for the week visiting politicians and places etc...
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Well I'm back now and I saw quite a few coaches and buses. Got some photos of both which I will post soon.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sir Pompously wrote:Dennis Dart Midi's are an interesting number, as they are imported. They don't go very fast, or very far. But I suppose they are interesting. :
Interesting enough, saw one doing a 788 in the arvo. Can it actually do 100 on Monaro Highway? :lol:
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

They can do 100, just it takes the length of the Nullabor to get there!
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

The new ACTION scania CB80 artic will probably to arrive next month,
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
Ryan
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1

Post by Ryan »

superbossgc wrote:The new ACTION scania CB80 artic will probably to arrive next month,
ACTION tweeted recently that it will arrive on 13 July.
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Probably after being displayed at the Busvic conference.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Ryan wrote:
superbossgc wrote:The new ACTION scania CB80 artic will probably to arrive next month,
ACTION tweeted recently that it will arrive on 13 July.
What the...? On Friday the thirteenth? :shock: That means bad luck!
My birthday is on the 13th so I'll have bad luck aswell. :evil: \

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I'd say that getting a Scania artic is pretty bad luck, but that's just my opinion... On a point of relevance, I haven't seen an ACTION livery CB80 artic at Scania in Adelaide yet, so it's probably a little way off.
Sir Pompously

Post by Sir Pompously »

ACTION tweeted a picture of a new artic under construction last week, it is in livery and still has a little way to go (But should be here in mid July as they tweeted).
Heritage Officer
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sir Pompously wrote:ACTION tweeted a picture of a new artic under construction last week, it is in livery and still has a little way to go (But should be here in mid July as they tweeted).
where's the tweet? couldn't find it
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Xplorer wrote:
Sir Pompously wrote: where's the tweet? couldn't find it
I just retweeted for you via Twitter.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

A few more questions about ACTION in December following up on the previous posts:

1. Has NXTBUS been fully delivered to ACTION? If so, is there an App or something that I can track the bus?

2. Does MyWay has an expiry date? I last used it a while ago and I don't know how much I still have on the card.

3. When and where can I see most of the new CB80 artics in action?

4. I am planning to go this Sunday. What is happening to the City Interchange? If I want to catch buses from the City Interchange, what should I do? Will buses be delayed as the result?

5. How many Renault Standards and Dennis Dart has ACTION got left at the moment? Are they easy to catch?

Thanks.
Sir Pompously

Post by Sir Pompously »

Hey,

1. No, NXTBUS is currently under rollout and trial. You can use the number on the bus stop signs that are rolling out around Canberra (and subsequently replacing all old signs and bus stop pegs) to text the service which will send back timetable results, sometimes you may get a real time result depending on the bus operating. City Bus Station does have two screens under trial as well which does have timetable and real time (where fitted) information. Sadly only two screens and it looks like that will be all.

2. As far as I am away MYWAY has no expiry date unless you have a concession attached (where it reverts to an adult card)

3. CB80 Artics are in use on School, Xpresso and "Blue Rapid" (Intertown) services. Hang around City Bus Station in the peak and you will certainly get one on a weekday. After peak you will find some out and about on other routes, but you just have to find them. I don't take any notice of the runs they are on but I know the 770 is sometimes a PR180.2 or CB80 artic as well as a peak hour 63 that runs from Campbell Park.

4. This Sunday City Bus Station is closed and all vehicles will depart from platforms 10 and 11 on Northbourne Ave. Buses will run as close to time as possible (no delays from the closure). They are performing line marking works in the Interchange requiring it to be closed.

5. ACTION have 120 Renault PR100.2s in service and 17 Dennis Darts in service. On a weekend you would be hard pressed to find a Renault in service, it is not to say it does not happen but you will be lucky to find one out. On a Weekday you will easily catch one. For a Dart they are running on the free Centenary Loop 100 service, however be aware they do break down and chances of them being replaced with an Irisbus are high. Weekends you will mostly see all easy access rigids out and about. Weekdays it is a free for all, you will find every type of vehicle in service.
Heritage Officer
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

1. ACTION have not released the real time data onto the internet, so no apps are available.

2. MyWay cards expire after 2 years of non service. Same arrangement as Perth.

A good place to find artics (for the next 2 weeks anyway) is City West between 1645 and 1745 weekdays. They generally do not go out on weekends.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

ZIB-585 wrote:2. MyWay cards expire after 2 years of non service. Same arrangement as Perth.
That's not the case in Perth. Our cards don't expire as such and can be used on and off for an undetermined amount of time. Never had that issue as myself and others have had inactive cards for a couple of years, and they will still work providing you have enough credit on it.
Bidgee
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7R and MAN SL202

Post by Bidgee »

The only time you'll find artics operating on a weekend for an event.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

Thanks for the information. Definitely enjoyed the stay in the nation's capital and doing some business with the ACT.

MyWay definitely expires after 2 years (I attempted to used the card 2 years and 3 days after last tag and it was expired). However, Canberra Connect centre was able to help me fixing the issue as my card was registered.

Attempted to tag on the bus using an Opal card, the reader responds the same as a MyWay card with an error message on it.

Transport Officers were far better than those in NSW and they were friendly to help passengers out and on 1 occassion as 1 bus was severely late, Transport Officer was able to drag one of the Action Toyota Van out and operated a bus service for customers!

Artics were on various routes and I was a bit surprised that I caught them on a number of non "Rapid" nor xpresso routes such as Route 2, 10, 60, 62 etc.

Shame that I was unable to catch older R100.2s (8XX & 9XX) as most of my trips were operated by air conditioned buses (Except my run on Bus 101 running route 705). I hope they will not be withdrawn before the next Floraide so that I can catch them again.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

don't hold too many hopes with the 98x, all new artics have been delivered...
there's hope for the 12 metre ones... don't know when the new 77 buses will be delivered
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

CityRail wrote:Shame that I was unable to catch older R100.2s (8XX & 9XX) as most of my trips were operated by air conditioned buses (Except my run on Bus 101 running route 705). I hope they will not be withdrawn before the next Floraide so that I can catch them again.
First of the new buses not expected until May 2014; by Floriade next year there might be 5 in service. Not sure what will be withdrawn first, but the MkI PR100.2s (852-868) are the most likely. Based on current intentions, Renaults will be in service until 2022.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”