The telecommunications discussion thread

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

The telecommunications discussion thread

Post by B10BLE »

Thougt I'd create a thread relating to mobile phones & networks. Ill start;

Apple are about to release the new iPhone 5S & 5C. Due for release on September 22. 5S includes a finger print scanner. More to come.
Contra la Luna
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Re: The telecommunications discussion thread

Post by busrider »

The iPhone 5C is $739 for the 16GB or $869 for the 32GB... That's not bloody cheap! But in the USA, it's $99 for the 16GB or the $199 for the 32GB. Hmmmm.
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

I think that $99 is on a contract plan..
Contra la Luna
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I eventually found that an unlocked 5C in the USA is $549 for 16GB or $649 for 32GB. Still, $200 price hike for no apparent reason...
PRT 065
Favourite Vehicle: Guess ?

Post by PRT 065 »

Yes thats correct.

5C 32GB is US$649
5S 64GB outright in the US is 849

Now remember those us prices dont include local sales taxes and that average wages in the USA are lower then ours.
Regards,
PRT 065

If you have any issues with the Queensland section, please send me a private message.
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

What I currently know about the 5S & 5C at this time, they still use an 8MP camera.... c'mon Apple, stick with the times. :wink:
Contra la Luna
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

They justified the 8MP camera in the 5s. They are using a bigger camera sensor with bigger pixels, rather than simply more. More light = better quality.
C130

Post by C130 »

ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

B10BLE wrote:I think that $99 is on a contract plan..
Correct. As I found out when I visited the US last year you cannot buy the latest model of any Apple phone outright (well not from Apple anyway). They only sell their 2nd newest phones outright and everything else even if brought through Apple is plan only and even then in some cases only certain carriers.

I brought my wife a 4S, the cost was about $100 cheaper than buying the same phone here. BUT in the US the charger that comes with the phone is US only, rather than the multi system one we get, so to buy that was another $40. Then when you factor in exchange rates and GST the phone really worked out to be the same as here anyway.

So whilst I do think Apple and other IT companies fleece us lot, with the iPhone anyway the price is comparable when compared like for like.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

Last week I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 4G. I'm quite happy about it despite the shocking battery life. Nice phone nonetheless. Id rate it an 8.5/10 :) I'd say the best phone would be the Galaxy S4 Active. HTC phones are no-no to be honest.
Contra la Luna
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I have always been a Samsung or LG person mainly Samsung I've owned S1's the older Galaxy phones and the cheap flips I owned a few LG flips too, it's fair to say I have had my fair share of crap phones....
iPhone 4S was given to me about a month ago for free off a friend and it is great, good nick and the good thing is the case off eBay was brand new and fits perfect I got a tough heavy duty tradesman case. The only thing I'm not impressed about is every 2 or so weeks the home button plays up and I push it 100 or so times to work!!! :evil:
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Crazyturbo76 is quite happy with his "el cheapo" Samsung Galaxy Pocket, which does everything crazyturbo76 expects out of an Android, but it does LAG due to its weak 800 MHz processor, can't take good pics due to its 2 MP camera and also chews power quite excessively.

Crazyturbo76 may need to invest in a PowerBrick so he can use his phone for slightly longer periods of time or buy a new Galaxy Pocket Neo, which has Android 4.1 compared to 2.3 on crazyturbo76's somewhat wimpy "regular" Pocket.
MO-busfan
Favourite Vehicle: PBC Scania K280UB CB80

Post by MO-busfan »

Enthusiastic Android user, so it's the Galaxy Nexus for me and my mum; HTC Sensation X for my dad.
Public Transport Spotters Australia http://www.facebook.com/groups/341399882614204/
Cameras used: Canon EOS 650D / Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD, Canon PowerShot S120
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

62% or so of people in the world own an Android phone. Rockstar Games have released an app for Grand Theft Auto 5 called iFuit only for the iPhone. What it does is that you can customize number plates on cars for Los Santos Customs & train Chop (the dog). An Android version may never come out.....
Contra la Luna
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Well, despite it being four times the price of a good entry level Android, the iPhone is still supposedly more popular here.
Mercedes38

Post by Mercedes38 »

Samsung releasing the Galaxy Note 3 with a bigger screen, more features and a new back cover plate with is stitched leather which feels more premium than the normal plastic backs that Samsung offers. The specs of the Smartphone are impressive with the 2.30 GHZ Snapdragon processor with 3 Gigs of RAM.

On the other hand the iphone 5s gold colour has really been popular with the phone being out of stock everywhere and is expected to be released october or unless you buy them from ebay for $2000, one person paid $10,000 just for one :roll:
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

You're a fool if you have a 5S. NSA will be in possession of your fingerprint & private information.
Contra la Luna
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

B10BLE wrote:You're a fool if you have a 5S. NSA will be in possession of your fingerprint & private information.
It's true. Next minute you'll have FBI, CIA, ASIO or AFP officers on your tail :shock:
Mercedes38

Post by Mercedes38 »

crazyturbo76 wrote:
B10BLE wrote:You're a fool if you have a 5S. NSA will be in possession of your fingerprint & private information.
It's true. Next minute you'll have FBI, CIA, ASIO or AFP officers on your tail :shock:
And that feature Will be on the upcoming iPad mini 2 and iPad 5 so you will be guaranteed they will be onto your children!
:
Mercedes38

Post by Mercedes38 »

crazyturbo76 wrote:Crazyturbo76 is quite happy with his "el cheapo" Samsung Galaxy Pocket, which does everything crazyturbo76 expects out of an Android, but it does LAG due to its weak 800 MHz processor, can't take good pics due to its 2 MP camera and also chews power quite excessively.

Crazyturbo76 may need to invest in a PowerBrick so he can use his phone for slightly longer periods of time or buy a new Galaxy Pocket Neo, which has Android 4.1 compared to 2.3 on crazyturbo76's somewhat wimpy "regular" Pocket.
Have you considered the galaxy express 4g? It has dual core 1.2Ghz processor and a 4.5 inch screen with a 5 megapixel camera.
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Nah, Crazyturbo76 only needs a phone that gets him from A-backwards R. ;)
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

Nokia have just released the Lumia 1020. It has an impressive 41 megapixel camera but runs on WP8 :P sets you at a price of $848.
Still, I'd rather have the 1020 than the foolish iPhone 5S. The phone for foolsih people.
Contra la Luna
C130

Post by C130 »

B10BLE wrote:62% or so of people in the world own an Android phone. Rockstar Games have released an app for Grand Theft Auto 5 called iFuit only for the iPhone. What it does is that you can customize number plates on cars for Los Santos Customs & train Chop (the dog). An Android version may never come out.....
I'd suggest you check those figures, given there is ~5 billion mobiles in the world, with only around ~1.1 billion being smartphones.
Plus, you have to remember that Android is on devices made by numerous manufactures, with devices sold at varying price points, while iOS is exclusive to Apple, targeted at a fairly high end market. Taking that into account, there is still a massive marketshare of iOS devices, especially when you look at the number iPad's and iPod's. So i'm sure that Rockstar knew what they were doing when they released on iOS first.
You do realise that the fingerprint information is kept on the phone, and not on any servers ripe for hacking, right?
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

C130 wrote: You do realise that the fingerprint information is kept on the phone, and not on any servers ripe for hacking, right?
Well look they say that but it can never be guaranteed - with any manufacturer. Who knows whether it is silently transferred? Personally though I'm not that pedantic about it.

Return to “The Lunch Room”