Happy Birthday BPSWA

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

drpeps
Favourite Vehicle: UQB605 & TP1044

Happy Birthday BPSWA

Post by drpeps »

I see a birthday call to BPSWA today at the bottom of the Board Index page.

Happy 44th!!! and many more to come.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Re: Happy Birthday BPSWA

Post by adx666 »

Well spotted, not much older than me!
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

drpeps wrote:I see a birthday call to BPSWA today at the bottom of the Board Index page.

Happy 44th!!! and many more to come.
Only one thing not recorded both PETS an BPSWA have same birthday
First Secretary for WATM
Guy Arab
adx666

Post by adx666 »

Have PETS set up a userid recording their birthday?

If you haven't, that would be why PETS doesn't show under members having a birthday today
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

Just a couple of the BPSWA's collection!

Cheers! :)
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

There seems to be a "G" missing from the name on that shopfront.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
drpeps
Favourite Vehicle: UQB605 & TP1044

Post by drpeps »

1whoknows wrote:There seems to be a "G" missing from the name on that shopfront.
Just be careful 1whoknows.

Boans was a very liked business in Perth (and country WA) for decades, then was snaffled by Myer who promised to keep the Boans name. But we know what happened to that promise.
adx666

Post by adx666 »

Yes we do, remember Boans well, along Wellington St
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Post by panther998 »

Less than 6 years to go to the half-century at the end of August 2019 !

Both Societies (BPSWA and PETS) have achieved considerable advances in the huge task of preserving the many aspects of WA's public transport history involving trams, trolleybuses and omnibuses. Both Societies equal or rival, and in some instances have out-performed, their counterparts elsewhere in Australia and overseas in terms of the progress made over the past 44 years in the face of often daunting odds against success. In saying that, I have no desire to detract from the worthy and productive efforts of kindred groups, but am merely signalling my belief that the accomplishments by BPSWA and PETS are notably above average, and sometimes exemplary, in the transport heritage field.

However, much remains to be done, and the work involved in conservation of public transport vehicles and artefacts is, and will continue to be, infinite and huge. The more enthusiasts who will help in whatever way they can, the better for the future of both Societies.
tbc1983 wrote:Just a couple of the BPSWA's collection!

An intriguing choice of images which, to me, highlights the major dilemma facing these well established organisations - generational change. There is an old saying to the effect that 'History marches on', and which definitely applies to buses, trams, etc. Only the most foolish would deny that the bulk of members of both BPSWA and PETS are in the 'over-45' age groups. Only the most foolish would consider this factor as having little or no significance to the future of bus and tram preservation in WA.

Another old saying goes along the lines 'One person's today is another person's tomorrow or yesterday'. Or, in other words, history tends to be what each one of us construes, experiences, or remembers it to be. I daresay that PETS members display variations in their fondness and recollections associated with a broad array of trams, past and present. From personal observations (including viewing comments on this Board), I am certain that the vast majority of bus enthusiasts / BPSWA members embrace similar fondness, recollections, etc, associated with a broad array of buses, past and present.

Which is as it should be. What really matters is that bus / tram / trolleybus enthusiasts should (and need to) stick together if their respective interests are to have any reasonable prospect of surviving into future decades. It is important, vital even, to always keep in mind the above reality - 'One person's today is another person's tomorrow or yesterday', which almost inevitably translates to 'kids will sell the family farm if they have little affinity with, affection for, or realisation about the importance of, the property'.

Some Atdb members / readers, particularly those aged below about 35, might well be wondering at this point -
wtf is panther998 ranting about now ?
A totally valid and reasonable question, imo.
Answer =
In two words (already expressed above) - generational change. Not one of us is immune to this sequence in our individual lives - we all pass between birth and death through certain stages of awareness, such as childhood, puberty, teen-age, middle-age, old-age, etc. And each stage brings its various problems and rewards, etc. Some of of which are better / more fondly recalled or endured than others, in greater or lesser proportion largely dictated by one's personal 'life experiences'.

Bottom Line = bus enthusiasts (or any folk sharing an interest in a specific subject, such as cars, trams, whatever) should stick together for the 'common good' leading to the best possible outcome for their particular 'focus'.

And, let me be clear, I do admit that there can, occasionally, be exceptions. Such as when the 'combined interests' organisation known as WATM (Western Australian Transport Museum) split many years ago into what became PETS (Perth Electric Tramways Society) and BMWA (Bus Museum of WA) which was later renamed BPSWA (Bus Preservation Society of WA). To date (so far as I am aware), PETS remains the premier organisation in WA for preservation and restoration of trams, while a couple of other smaller / localised groups with much narrower focus possess one tram apiece. Otoh, there appears to be 2 organisations, with broadly similar objectives to BPSWA, dedicated to bus preservation in WA. To me, such dilution of effort in this limited field is entirely unwarranted and counter productive.

But perhaps I am 'out of step' with contemporary thinking ....
Or (maybe?) not really a 'bona-fide' bus historian and enthusiast, as some of my 'so called peers' might claim. Ultimately, it is up to others to make some ruling / decision on such matters.

Let me close by presenting an image dating from February 1998 which, to me, encapsulates what BPSWA and PETS, at Whiteman Park, is very much about.
Preserved WAGT 'Canton' trolleybus 38 flanked by ex Metro Leyland OPS4 #81 and PETS' ex M&MTB tram 426
Preserved WAGT 'Canton' trolleybus 38 flanked by ex Metro Leyland OPS4 #81 and PETS' ex M&MTB tram 426
WAGT-tb38-LeylandTB5_Metro81-Leyland_MMTBtram426_22fe98-n1scd.jpg (171.11 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Incidentally, for benefit of those readers who have ''forgotten'', and those too young to remember, Metro 81 was the very first bus presented to WAETA (later 'rebadged' WATM, BMWA and BPSWA) for long-term preservation some 40 years ago. Metro 81 and WAGT 38 remain iconic and key 'exhibits' in the BPSWA collection, even though the majority of current members probably retain little or no direct 'connection' with either vehicle. One can only hope that current and future generations of Perth bus enthusiasts and residents do, and will continue to, understand and respect the role played by these now rare vehicles in local history. And will ensure they are kept, along with so many other immeasurably historic and valuable buses in the Society's possession.
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

I remember the boans in the city when you used to be able to drive underneath it and park your car before they closed it down for good.
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I've revived this thread, not about a birthday, but because a very nice article and video about BPSWA has appeared in Australian Bus and Coach and I can't find another appropriate thread:

https://www.busnews.com.au/bus-reviews/ ... iety-of-wa

I don't know whereabouts BPSWA is in Whiteman Park or whether it's ever open to the public?

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”