If you become PM of Austraila, what would be your ideas??

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

GazzaOak

If you become PM of Austraila, what would be your ideas??

Post by GazzaOak »

Well, if you have the chance to become PM of Australia, what would be your ideas?? Here's mine

- Opt out of the UN treaties and kick the UN out of Australia

- No more people coming by boat. Adopt Kevin idea on sorting things out but take in some genuine asylum seekers and other can be settled in other countries. And if any of them have a even just a minor criminal record, even if they prove to be genuine, they are not welcome and get kicked out. Even if boat people get accepted to come here, they cannot become a citizen, but they can be PR at least.

- Make civil union and marriage have the same rights with everything, but don't go to that point of legalizing gay marriage

Laws: Adopt the law system from ether China, Singapore or Japan and mix it in with the Australian law system. Eg here some examples
- Reintroduce the death sentience (and maybe adopt China idea of death sentience with probation, in which you have to spend 2 years in jail before your faith is decided. If you behave good doing the 2 years, your sentience gets cut to 20 years to life.)
- Make jail sentences far more strict, and a plea bargain will not guarantee get you a lesser sentience. So if one guy king hit another guy resulting in that other guy dying, even if they do a plea bargain, he can still get executed anyways. Here some example of changes
20 years to execution: Murder, terrorist attack, treason
10 - 25 years: Manslaughter, attempted murder, extortion, dealing with commercial quantity of drugs, threatening to do a terrorist attack, assaulting a cop or a emergency worker
5 - 15 years: General assault (includes domestic assault, just any assault), rape (for both rape and general assault is severe enough, can be upgraded to attempted murder), drug dealing (lesser sentience if is with weed), bribing an official
Community service to 5 years: Possession of drugs (except for weed), vandalism (graffiti included), workplace (or even school) bullying
There more that I can say, but there quite a fair heap that I mentioned
- You have 2 options when spending time in jail, you ether spend it in general population doing slave labor, or spend it in isolation. If you behave badly in general population, you have to serve out the rest of sentience in isolation, plus any other day that you punished for the crime in prison

- University (and some TAFE courses) have a university/TAFE entrance test as the main way to get into uni/TAFE. ATAR and whatever can still be used, but however the entrance test should be the main way. Eg if someone have a bad ATAR, but perform good in the Uni test, they should be let in and vice versa for someone perform good with ATAR but badly with Uni test. Its should be like 10% atar, and 90% uni test

- Have high speed rail between Brisbane - Sydney and Melbourne, as well as a second Sydney airport

- Make a dual lane highway between Brisbane - Sydney and Melbourne. (Sydney and Melbourne already has a dual lane highway)

- Make weed legal in small amounts (or at least make medical weed legal)

- Have each major cities have a decent bus/tram/metro system. I will do Sydney one as a example, but if you are from Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or whatever, share your ideas on your city
Metro line: Adopted from this map ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/benderbrod ... /lightbox/ ), but however the non existent/non planned out lines get built as a metro (except for Menai shuttle, and the northern line become the original northern line prior to ECRL) and metro blue line terminates at Darling harbour rather than Kingsford (see tram line)
Tram line: Line 1: City to Kingsford via UNSW, Line 2: Central to Dulwhich Hill
Bus system: Rather to build some of the metro lines that i mentioned in the picture (eg if is not viable) replace it with a BRT system instead.

- Give funds for Sydney roads to be upgraded eg, the West Connex to be built (yet if your from a different city, replace Sydney with your own ideas)

- Welfare system: Have drug testing for welfare person (if is said test postive to weed and they need it for medical reason, they can have a weed medical card and show it to centerlink) and its get taken out of their welfare money. Give pensioners and some students a pretty good rise in their welfare. Cut out all the baby, schoolkids bonus for good (if you want a child, why should we fork out money for you?? and learn to save up money before you have a kid). Also only Australian citizen can apply for it, not even PR can apply for welfare.

- Cut out all the unnecessary unions, middle management and red tape. So its should be all in one system if someone want to operate a small business in Australia.

There more that I want to mention, but however i added heaps
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
tranzitjim

Re: If you become PM of Austraila, what would be your ideas?

Post by tranzitjim »

On the issue of Civil Unions, the majority of people, both gay, and conservative want exactly that. Have Civil Unions, and have them open for all. Keep Marriage as a traditional thing which happens only between one man and one woman.

Expect SSM to be repealed in UK, France and Spain in the next few years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kick the UN out of Australia, yes I am tempted to do that myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Justice System for major crimes would be,

Anything worth more than ten years, and you automatically get the death penalty

If you get caught doing a serious crime, a second chance can only happen, if you can prove you are cured of the need to commit the crime. Otherwise you stay in jail.

On some serious crimes, get caught the third time, and it is instant death penalty for you.

Rape, Murder, Bullying, Selling state secrets.
---------------------------------

Everyone knows my passion for premium public transport, so naturally if I where PM, we would have SmartBusses operating in all cities. Not just the capitals.

And oh, abolish the states.

Rail Standardisation, and all shall come under the one national rail body, namely the ARTC. Although improvements shall be delivered to the ARTC policy, and their expertise shall be first class in how they do rail projects.

TAXATION: Wipe the slate clean, and start again.

All forms of taxation shall be stopped, repealed, and become no more. Weather in the form of Law, Regulations, court rulings and/or etc.

Just three main taxes shall exist after we start again.
++A simple E tax, taken out of your electronic transactions. Say 1% would be ideal.
++Currency exchange tax. On all imports and all exports too. You pay no tax if you barter with the international country.
++Listed Dividend tax. On all ASX listed companies, should pay say 20% tax on the dividends they issue to their shareholders

There shall be levies on selected products, such as petroleum, cigarets and other products, including a Mobile phone call tax.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It did not take long for someone to take this totally into an unrealistic world.
Living in the Shire.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

Fleet Lists wrote:It did not take long for someone to take this totally into an unrealistic world.
lol why??
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

While I haven't thought of many, my main proposal would be an Australia Tax.

Basically, a 100% owned & made (with 100% products) company could make a 10% profit at point of sale. Then a company that is either an Australian company but has the product imported. Or overseas owned, but produced in Australia can make a 5% profit. 100% overseas owned & produced can make a 1% profit. Products that are cheaper then Australian products are taxed at 200% of the price of the Australian product.

If a company wishes to leave Australia or is closes down, the company & factory is handed over to the Australian Government who then run the company. If there is a product that could be made in Australia, the Australia tax would be used to start up a company. Those that are unemployed would then be forced to work at these companies, with only those with kids under 5 excluded from working. Jobs would even be found those on the disability pension, so those druggo's would have no excuse to work. Anyone that refuses to work receives no money from the Government & this includes any PBS or Medicare discounts.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

Are you saying that every person on disability pension is a "druggo" that elects not to work?
simonl

Post by simonl »

Bus 400 wrote:While I haven't thought of many, my main proposal would be an Australia Tax.

Basically, a 100% owned & made (with 100% products) company could make a 10% profit at point of sale. Then a company that is either an Australian company but has the product imported. Or overseas owned, but produced in Australia can make a 5% profit. 100% overseas owned & produced can make a 1% profit. Products that are cheaper then Australian products are taxed at 200% of the price of the Australian product.

If a company wishes to leave Australia or is closes down, the company & factory is handed over to the Australian Government who then run the company. If there is a product that could be made in Australia, the Australia tax would be used to start up a company. Those that are unemployed would then be forced to work at these companies, with only those with kids under 5 excluded from working. Jobs would even be found those on the disability pension, so those druggo's would have no excuse to work. Anyone that refuses to work receives no money from the Government & this includes any PBS or Medicare discounts.
You mean something like a GST then?

Great thread....NOT!
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Or we could just sell Australia to China, which would basically incorporate all of the above ideas...
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Gazza, I know these are YOUR ideas, but you need to know which issues are STATE issues & which are FEDERAL issues.

With the exception of some overlap, Education, transport as you suggested, are state issues.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One of the suggestions is to abolish the states which does have some merit. At least it would reduce the levels of government.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Fleet Lists wrote:One of the suggestions is to abolish the states which does have some merit. At least it would reduce the levels of government.
KRudd promised a federal takeover of health, and a referendum if the states wouldn't agree. If implemented, that would have solved most of the issues with state/federal relations.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Gazza, I know these are YOUR ideas, but you need to know which issues are STATE issues & which are FEDERAL issues.

With the exception of some overlap, Education, transport as you suggested, are state issues.
This is what i should fund if the states come up with those ideas. Its shouldn't be mentioned on a federal level, but however if the state chose to come up with it, I would chip in. But however if is were to make things easier, abolish states
Bus 400 wrote:While I haven't thought of many, my main proposal would be an Australia Tax.

That would help the welfare issue going on
CB80 wrote:Are you saying that every person on disability pension is a "druggo" that elects not to work?
No, I forgot to mention to increase disability pension as well. I kinda get angry at people who take advantage of our taxes. Sure some should go into our elders, disabled and the students who studies hard for a better nation
busrider wrote:Or we could just sell Australia to China, which would basically incorporate all of the above ideas...
There are some that i disagree on with China, but however if China/Singpore/Japan feel more safer than us, well we can adopt some of their laws and combine it with some of our laws
Fleet Lists wrote:One of the suggestions is to abolish the states which does have some merit. At least it would reduce the levels of government.
I agree on that. Would help if were to introduce something like a national card to use on all form of public transports around Australia (eg a combined version of myki, go card, tranperth card, opal, etc) Kinda like what this guy said
tranzitjim wrote:Everyone knows my passion for premium public transport, so naturally if I where PM, we would have SmartBusses operating in all cities. Not just the capitals.
In which I agree on
tranzitjim wrote:On the issue of Civil Unions, the majority of people, both gay, and conservative want exactly that. Have Civil Unions, and have them open for all. Keep Marriage as a traditional thing which happens only between one man and one woman.

Expect SSM to be repealed in UK, France and Spain in the next few years.
Yes, I agree on that.... Most people (straight or gay) would chose Civil union over traditional marriage. That how my parents got married via civil union
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

Taxation

- Reduce tax rates for people on low to average incomes and slightly increase tax rates for people on high incomes. Increase tax-free threshold to $20,000, then 12c per dollar from $20,001 - $30,000, 15c per dollar from $30,001 - $40,000, 23c per dollar from $40,001 - $60,000, 31c per dollar from $60,001 - $80,000, 39c per dollar from $80,001 - $150,000, 47c per dollar for $150,001 - $200,000, and 49c per dollar for $200,001+.

- Implement a mining tax at a flat rate of 30% for companies with more than $150 million turnover. Eliminate all tax breaks for large businesses.

- Eliminate all GST exemptions on products. All products are to be charged 10% GST at the final point of sale.

- Eliminate tax exemptions for religious bodies that engage in politics.

- Increase tax rates on petrol, liquor and cigarettes. Reduce tax exemption of LPG.

- Legalise and tax drugs for personal use.

Welfare

- Reduce Centrelink's overhead costs. Streamline application and payment processes and reduce the overall workforce by at least 10%. Implement simpler methods of calculating eligibility for payments.

- Eliminate payment supplements and allowances (such as Telephone Allowance) and increase base payments by a similar rate.

- Increase the rate of Newstart Allowance by 15% annually for three years, while at the same time increasing participation requirements for recipients.

- Eliminate Family Tax Benefits. Eliminate Baby Bonus. Eliminate Schoolkids Bonus.

- Increase funding for public housing by 20% for three years. Ensure 80% of new public housing dwellings are in medium to high density developments in areas well serviced by public transport. Accelerate redevelopment of older life-expired housing stock for higher densities.

Transport

- Reduce the default speed limit in built-up areas to 40km/h and in rural areas to 80km/h. Reduce speed limits on all non-urban freeways to 100km/h.

- Accelerate upgrades of major highways - complete the duplication of the Pacific Highway, and progressively duplicate the Bruce Highway to Childers. Improve flood proofing along the northern Bruce Highway.

- Significantly increase funding for eliminating road blackspots. Aim to reduce the national road toll by 20% year on year.

- Provide 50% funding for gauge standardisation of rail lines in Victoria, South Australia (including the Eyre Peninsula) and selected major lines in Western Australia and Queensland.

- Accelerate upgrades of the interstate rail lines, to improve alignments (allowing for 200km/h passenger trains in upgraded sections) and provide additional lengths of double track. Increase clearances to allow for double-stacked freight trains between Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.

- Grade separate all level crossings on major highways and significant state routes carrying more than 5,000vpd.

- Provide 40% funding for Melbourne Metro, Cross River Rail and a future Chatswood-Redfern metro line.

Law enforcement

- Mandate rehabilitation programs for first-time minor drug trafficking offences.

- Increase funding for diversion and re-education programs to keep first-time and minor offenders out of prison.

- Reduce the maximum BAC while operating a vehicle to 0.03%. Drivers with BACs between 0.031% and 0.07% are to be forced to attend an alcohol education program in addition to receiving a fine and zero BAC condition for three years. Drivers with BACs between 0.071% and 0.10% are to be suspended from driving for one year, and over 0.101% are to be suspended for three years.

Other

- Legalise same-sex marriage. Streamline divorce processes. Encourage couples to use mediation processes to decide on custody of children.

- Increase funding for health services. Streamline Medicare to reduce overhead costs, and increase the scheduled fee to GPs by 20%.

- Increase funding for education. Government schools are to be entirely fee-free for students whose parents are receiving Centrelink benefits.

- Overhaul all government departments and agencies to massively reduce overhead costs. The government doesn't exist solely to provide employment... :roll:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

^you got some pretty smart ideas there and i would be happy to agree with most things.... And I would agree on giving small business (less than 20 people employed part or full time) some kind of tax discount to encourage small business to build up in Australia
jarf

Post by jarf »

One other thing I would like to do (except it's a state issue), is to eliminate stamp duty on land sales and replace it with a fixed rate land tax - say $1.50 per square metre of land (so an average house would be around $750 - $1000 a year) for residential properties, and $7.50 per square metre of land for commercial properties.

Mixed-use properties would be charged based on the proportion used for each purpose, with multi-level developments also charged per square metre of floor space not at ground level. Offsets would be provided for properties used for primary production.

It would apply to the buyer of all properties sold after the date it's implemented, so existing owners aren't disadvantaged (since they've already paid the stamp duty on their property). :)
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

why should single ppl be allways helping out :twisted: you want kids you PAY for them! :twisted: single ppl pay a lot of tax and what benifit do they get,you go on a cruise you get hit with a single suplement! you pay for ppl to send their kids preschool,why should I pay for your kids .in the old days you planed to have kids! nobody helped you.................same as the baby bonus you have ppl tell you the govt owes them a living get real :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: my son was out of work for a week boughta 2nd hand mower and whiper sniper started doing lawns, only two centre link payments and he was working!no dole blugers for him!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
mubd

Post by mubd »

Gee, I wonder what Eddy will write...
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

An Australia wide Parrahub network with connections to the 1km long train-carrying submarines?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

This is a Parrahub free zone.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

captainch wrote:why should single ppl be allways helping out :twisted: you want kids you PAY for them! :twisted: single ppl pay a lot of tax and what benifit do they get,
Quite.

As Voltaire said, "In general, the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other."
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And "the other" includes themselves.
Living in the Shire.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

Hahaha, i may agree on the parrahub.... but that is not the topic for this thread, since its based on your ideas as premier/PM tho..... i would help to improve parramatta as a second CBD
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

captainch wrote:why should single ppl be allways helping out :twisted: you want kids you PAY for them! :twisted: single ppl pay a lot of tax and what benifit do they get,you go on a cruise you get hit with a single suplement! you pay for ppl to send their kids preschool,why should I pay for your kids .in the old days you planed to have kids! nobody helped you.................same as the baby bonus you have ppl tell you the govt owes them a living get real :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: my son was out of work for a week boughta 2nd hand mower and whiper sniper started doing lawns, only two centre link payments and he was working!no dole blugers for him!
Bloody agree.... This is why I would want to get rid of things like schoolkids, baby bonus and whatever.... And maternity leave count as sick days, annual leave and whatever
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

Law

Abolish the parole system.
Reintroduce the death penalty.
Very harsh jail terms

Death penalty:
Rape, murder, extortion

10+ years with no parole:
public nuisance, assault, damage of private property with intention.

25 years to life with no parole:
Blackmail, drink driving, public lewdness, illegal prostitution, illegal gambling, theft, promotion of gambling.

Transport

Convert Melbourne's rail system from Broad Gauge to Standard Gauge
Introduce something like an Autobahn similar to what Germany has. 110-130km/hpeed limits on some sections.
Contribute funding to East West Link, Melbourne Airport link.

Money

Lower the GST.
Scrap the luxury car tax.
Reduce tax for people who earn less under $70,000

That's all I can think of right now..
Contra la Luna
jarf

Post by jarf »

^ Wait...it seems you're actually serious.

Those punishments aren't even slightly close to being justified. 25 years for public lewdness - how did you come up with that?! Throwing people in prison for relatively minor crimes is an incredible burden on government finances, and doesn't serve to improve society even slightly.

It's well established that mandatory sentencing and capital punishment aren't an effective deterrent to crime. (Interestingly, in the US violent crime rates are generally higher in states with capital punishment (particularly in the south) than those without.) It doesn't take into account individual circumstances or aggravating factors. The process of actually getting to the point of carrying out a death sentence is long, expensive and pointlessly ties up the legal system when it should be doing more productive things.

Even then, it'd be virtually impossible to gain enough support in Parliament to repeal the Death Penalty Abolition Act 1973 (which also bars states from using it as a penalty), let alone getting all of the states (which have control over legislating against all of the crimes you've listed) to amend all of their criminal laws to reintroduce it. So capital punishment in Australia is effectively dead and buried, so to speak.

(By the way, "25 years to life with no parole" completely contradicts itself... :P )

Return to “The Lunch Room”