drivers seat

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
jasonjason
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

drivers seat

Post by jasonjason »

I need to get a new drivers seat that incorporates the seatbelt for my austral tourmaster but im having difficulty finding anything suitable. Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to look?

Thanks
Jason
makeminea2stroke
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Re: drivers seat

Post by makeminea2stroke »

Hi Jason

I got one of these fitted to my Landseer
http://www.seatsrus.com.au/product/truc ... ivers-seat
KAB GSX 3000 full air suspension seat with integrated lap/sash belt
Mark from SetsRus looked after me well.

Only a new model seat but seems pretty good. I haven't driven with it so no real experience yet
They also do a static seat called the GSX 3100 which matches and has a flip up base which was ideal for a passenger seat whilst leaving limited access past it via the original front door. I put two of these along side the driver

Cheerz
glen
jasonjason
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Post by jasonjason »

Not sure if I got a bum steer or not...

Just after I got my bus I rang vehicle standards (SA) and asked them what sort of seatbelts I needed. I was told driver and passenger only needed lap belts. I thought this was odd as i would have thought the driver needed lap/sash. Anyway....

I rang again a few days later and asked the same question, just to be sure and got the same answer, so I thought it must be right.
So I went ahead and did all the lining in the bus and got it ready for the roadworthy inspection.

I rang up and payed for the roadworthy inspection coming next week, and while I was on the phone asked what seatbelts where required (just to be sure lol). I was told the driver needed a lap / sash.

WTF????

So I have been looking all over the place for a cheap replacement seat that incorporates the lap/sash belt since I dont want to pull the lining off the wall to put in belt mount points.

The guy that does the inspection rang yesterday and says I can bring the vehicle in one day next week, and while on the phone I ask him....what seatbelt do I need for the driver.....and he says, a retractable lap belt.

WTF????

So im putting a retractable lap belt in ($60) instead of a replacement seat ($2000+) and see what happens.

I wish they would make up their mind. I specifically asked so many times so I didnt get into this situation, now here i find myself lol
Anyway fingers crossed it goes well :)

Thanks Glen for the link, some nice seats on there.
bustinloose

Post by bustinloose »

I was given pair of new seats from a komatsu 830 Truck which incorporate lapsash belts and inbuilt compressor for the air suspension. They are soooo comfortable.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

G'Day Jason,

You sure are getting the run around that's for sure. Bloody government departments need a rocket stuck up them.

Dirk
wannawagon

Post by wannawagon »

My understanding of current Queensland stuff is that if the seat is more than 200(or 250??) from the side of the bus (windows/frame etc) then only a lap is needed, you often see conversions where the seat closer to the window has a lap sash and the "aisle" seat has a lap only. Most bus drivers seats are at least 250 from glass etc at side as well.

I did a conversion a few years ago and was advised the seat buckle (on the lap drivers seat) had to have a stalk mount, and the mounts had to have the steel bushing where they go through the ply (to the steel plate behind) , got a blue plate and has gone thru 3 or 4 inspections since and all good sofar.
Hughsy

Post by Hughsy »

We are fitting out a Volvo B58 and our Engineer has just given us our Mod. Plate, We only were required to put in lap belts no stalks or anything like that as long as they had the APR approved and date on them, so we bought new ones from Repco 5 x $73 and $500 to the engineer and transport commission. We are taking it to Webster trucks thursday for its inspection for rego, I got a shock only $622 a year to register same price as a 6 cylinder car and a 5m car trailer for $75 a year, We don't have to have it inspected each year because it is' nt a commercial bus anymore.
Aussiebus

Post by Aussiebus »

Try Coaster conversions in NSW , They have leather captains chairs for $1290 incl seatbelt, If you go that way, dont buy the rotational base as it isnt high enough for a tourmaster, just use your original base

Cheers

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”