Hurst's of Korumburra images

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Hursty
Favourite Vehicle: `66 Freighter

Hurst's of Korumburra images

Post by Hursty »

Korumburra High School sets the backdrop to the fleet of Hurst's Buses in 1965.
Last edited by Hursty on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hursty

Re: Hurst's of Korumburra images

Post by Hursty »

Bus number 1 for Hurst's of Korumburra. Trading as "Korumburra H.E.S Transport Service" RR Hurst enters this Bedford into service from the Queen Street private residence of RR & D Hurst. H.E.S being Higher Elementary School. Although technically Bus number 1 for the Hurst business, Ralph commenced the H.E.S Transport service with a Vauxhall 7 seat passenger sedan.
GeelongBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Into mostly of Mercs and Volvo

Post by GeelongBuses »

Great photos Hurst,
Is this your company or did you just choose that username?

Cheers, Ben
Subscribe to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBTOrRG2LiE_MUeRy54fbQ
GTZ I make Transport Videos and Gaming!
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

In the line up shot, we see three CAC (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) bodied flat screen Bedford SBs, which would be GEH 037 new 7/54, GKK 712 new 11/55 and GLC 140 new 12/55. Just which is which is hard to tell from the photo, but the first one is the bus on the far left of the photo. Next to it is a Freighter bodied Bedford SB3, JLX 444, new 4/66. Then, there is a CAC Bedford OB. Hursts had a number of these over the years. My guess is that this is the last of them, new in early 1951 reg TU 215 which originally had a rear door. Like almost all of the two door versions of the OB (there were over 350 of them made), the rear door was filled in and the bus was reregistered in 1953 as ZP 384. Moving right come the other two CAC flat screen SBs. Then there is the curved screen or "wraparound" SB that was seen on the Discussion board. GZD 115 was new to T L Calderwood in Melbourne 2/59 and went to Hursts some time in the early 60s. The first of two Ansair bodied Bedfords is next, HSC 888 was new 3/63 and then HZK 999 was new 6/64. The two smaller mini buses are not in the BCSV (Bus and Coach Society of Victoria) records. There is a Dodge (much like the one Simcocks had and still aim to restore) and a Morris J2 van.

In the second photo, we see a British Bedford with a Grummet body that would have been new in 1934. It is a WHB model and probably a 14 seater.
system improver

GeelongBuses wrote:Great photos Hursty,
See here Ben:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =4&t=73570
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

GeelongBuses wrote:Great photos Hurst,

Cheers, Ben
Hi Ben, I'm David Hurst, Grandson of Ralph Hurst the founder of Hurst's of Korumburra.

Regards,
Dave
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Hursty for the photos and to System Improver for the vehicle histories.This is just excellent.
Hursty,do you know what school service fleet number 1 operated? I also have an interest ,not just in the buses operated,but in the services/contracts operated.
Can't wait for your next instalment!!! Cheers.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here are a couple of pictures that might be of interest.Pictures from the Andrew Potts collection.
Attachments
HURST`S KORUMBURRA VIC FORD KNA-003
HURST`S KORUMBURRA VIC FORD KNA-003
Hurst's Korumburra VIC Ford KNA-003.jpg (131.49 KiB) Viewed 12357 times
HURST`S KORUMBURRA VIC FORD LJZ-444
HURST`S KORUMBURRA VIC FORD LJZ-444
Hurst`s Korumburra VIC Ford LJZ-444.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 12257 times
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Thanks gents for the above information and also the photos, both I have not seen before. I have many photos of those 2 buses that will be posted in turn. My father Ian had left the business by the time Uncle Brian and Trevor operated these 2.

Burrumbus - I'll see what I can dig up about the information you request. I'll talk to Dad this week and probe his memories.

system improver - I'm VERY impressed with your knowledge of the operation, I guess we will be able to compare a LOT of notes. I have original owners certificates of some of the vehicles. One in particular is the Dodge Fargo GKK-712 in the first photograph, this was used as a "Mini bus" as was the Morris Van GVA-366.

Pictured is the first bus 18-771 behind what has been reported in the past to be the first vehicle that was used AU-883, however I believe that the Vauxhall that RR Hurst initially used was 69-396. Are there any keen eyed historians able to identify the vehicle in the foreground? The beginning of the Depot at 6 Queen Street with the first garage installed in the same location as the 4 bus garage built later in time. The concrete base for the fuel bowser still remains today.
GeelongBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Into mostly of Mercs and Volvo

Post by GeelongBuses »

Does this company operate anymore?
I'm assuming not but it would be great to see it back.

Cheers, Ben
Subscribe to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBTOrRG2LiE_MUeRy54fbQ
GTZ I make Transport Videos and Gaming!
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

GeelongBuses wrote:Does this company operate anymore?
Unfortunately no. Harley's of Korumburra took over the majority of the runs and remains in operation, T Harley being an ex Hurst driver. Winterhalter's (My other Uncle) have a large fleet, my father taught Alan Winterhalter to drive buses.
One must never say never as the saying goes, there are a few Hurst's in the area still.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

I would say that the Ford/Ansair KNA-003 would be ex Broadmeadows Bus Service, on the basis that, from memory, they (B/Meadows) re-registered their entire fleet around 1968/9 onto KNA series plates with the numeric part coinciding with the fleet number in that fleet.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Apologies for my absence, been Busy, unwell, and then busy again. Here's hoping that I can string a few images together with some stories as well.
I managed to find a photo of the original Vauxhall that RR Hurst commenced the Hurst business with. Below is the Premier of Victoria Mr Dunstan's car that was purchased and converted to a 7 seat "bus" for transporting young adults to Korumburra Higher Elementary School in the mid to late 1930's. This image is in late 1936/early 1937. Already Ralph was looking into the future of the business, with 2 young sons by this time, he had nothing to loose, he gave it a go.
On the running board would be a young Brian Hurst. In the background is a Chevrolet light truck that was later converted into a bus by Ralph.

New information courtesy of the Vauxhall Club May 2017: The car is a 1936 Vauxhall BXL Big 6. BXL meant it was a long wheel base vehicle and made in small numbers, probably mostly for Govt service or captains of industry. The only colour GMH used on this model for 1936 was Bancroft Blue. Bancroft Blue is a very dark blue, almost black to the untrained eye. The whole car, including guards were this colour, with grey leather upholstery.
Last edited by Hursty on Thu May 11, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Somewhere between 1936 and 1941, Ralph converted a Chevrolet tray truck into his second Bus as the fledgling business started to grow. Pictures of this Chevrolet have been a rarity, only these posted are what we currently have. Ralph fitted the original Grummet body from 18-771 as the Bedford was grossly under powered for the rolling South Gippsland hills.
Pictured in the driveway of 6 Queen Street.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

In the early 1940's more passengers meant more buses. Ralph purchased an International Harvester Reo Speed Wagon which became the third of the Hurst fleet. 149-162 would travel many miles around South Gippsland. This vehicle lived on for a long time at the Hurst residence, once retired from service, the body became the official depot office in the back yard. I'm currently trying to pinpoint the date it was removed, sometime in the late 1970's to make way for a house extension when BT and IR Hurst sold the house. The depot remained in use, leased to BT Hurst from the new home owner. It was an agreement of the sale that the depot would continue to operate.
Pictured in the driveway 6 Queen Street. The small shed to the left was built for the Mail contract vehicle.

Pictured looking south from the garage sees the Reo at its best angle. A fine shot of the old Anglican Church Manse across the road. This house was later cut in 2 and moved to different locations within Korumburra.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

The upper rear section of the body in this photo is very much that of an MMTB Regal 3.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Post war was a time for the 5th bus to enter the Hurst fleet. A c1948 International Harvester SB5. This Bus was the first that Ralph purchased brand new from the factory. Pictured is Ralph in front of a fully loaded vehicle on a normal day for the Korumburra H.E.S. Transport Service.
I have no information on the purchase date of this vehicle or the registration and disposal history.
Any corrections, additions etc are most welcomed.
system improver

It has a Grummet body and looks pretty new. My records don't show this vehicle either, but I'll check a few other places. Great pic.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

At some point in time, another smaller bodied bus was required, Ralph purchased an Ex Mc'Harrys Ford MH-143. Photos again are rare, this is a cropped image from a later date during its service.
system improver

This is a 1938 Ford. It is likely that the body came from an older chassis. McHarry's had a habit of doing this in their early years. John McHarry (grandfather of current owner of the same name) started the business in 1932. He had been a motor body builder at Ford in Geelong. My guess is that it was re-registered as MH 143 on sale to Hurst's, which would make the sale around late 1948.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Bus number 6 is the first of the CAC bodied OB Bedford's. NA-424, OB92059 was purchased new in April 1949, ordered and delivered in undercoat with black wheels, it was first registered on 13th April 1949. This OB had a 32 passenger capacity and had the second door at the rear of the vehicle. It was the pride of the fleet. Government laws for school runs disallowed the use of rear doors for the safety of the children therefore, they were sealed up and disused. Pictured is NA-424 on her day of delivery with MH-143 beside her in the driveway at Queen Street.
system improver

It certainly looks brand new. More than 350 of the two door version were built and many went to metro operators as well. This was strange since, as Hursty points out, there was a prohibition on using the rear door in most cases (since it had to be operated by the passengers). Maybe the operators were led to believe that there was going to be a change of policy. I am told that the defence forces regularly used the rear doors in both the OB and the limited number of SBs fitted with a rear door.

For those interested in the history of the CAC/OB Bedford, see here:

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 74#p445674
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

With the fleet expanding, Ralph would need to house the vehicles, so the old 2 bus garage with the car garage beside it would be demolished and a garage with the capacity for 4 full size buses would go up in its place. I'm unsure of the exact date of demolition and re construction. The photo shows Ralph's first OB Bedford NA-424, 2 Chevrolet's 1946 JD-586 - Mail run and 1948 NV-410 the daily driver. With this in mind, I would suggest around 1949/50, when the decision was made to purchase additional OB Bedford's triggered construction. The three walled garage measures approx. 66ft x 33ft and still stands today. There is a rear door that was used as a drive through access via lane ways from Queen street. Ralph would later sell off the land behind the Garage and seal the door.
NA-424 awaits its place inside.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

The next purchase is another OB Bedford, NL-117, affectionately known as "Nelly" for obvious reasons. Delivered again in undercoat, as nearly all of the new vehicles were ordered, driving lights came factory fitted and minus the rear door, seating configuration would be for maximum capacity as the area grows and passengers to Korumburra Higher Elementary School increase. She would be an out of the ordinary light blue under beige, moving away from the traditional dark colours over white that coloured the fleet. Ian Hurst recalls some of the vehicles were a dark green, the preferred livery was and would again become royal blue with silver or white. The silver was found to fade terribly in the harsh South Gippsland climate. Pictured is "Nelly" on the day of delivery.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Evening Hursty.Thanks so much for the continuing story of your family's business.Was there a reason for the delivery of the buses in undercoat? That was a very unusual practice.Cheers.

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”