• Advertisement

Fuel Economy

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

Fuel Economy

Postby mchenry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:56 am

I am currently working on a motorhome project budget.

Having never driven a bus I have no idea of their fuel consumption and would be grateful for some insight from those experienced drivers. More specifically I am seeking guidance on comparisons between single and double decker coaches on the highway.

Thanks in advance.
mchenry

Re: Fuel Economy

Postby ax8 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Depends on weight, height and horsepower. More weight more fuel, more height more fuel, too much or not enough horsepower will use more fuel.

I have a 1981 11.5m Bedford YMT Isuzu 6bg1 Allison AT545 4 speed auto, she will do 100km/h on the highway and use 1 litre per 5km's on average.
That's what I was after some thing that could do 100km/hr but still be good on fuel, I would have loved to buy a Denning or Austral etc but they can be very thirsty.
Some coaches/buses will be lucky to get 2km's per litre and most would between 2 & 4 km's per litre.

It all depends on what you want, generally a double decker would use more fuel than a single deck coach.
ax8

Postby jasonjason » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:54 am

yeah my austral tourmaster gets about 2.8km per litre
But my nissan patrol only gets 3 so either way im paying lol
jasonjason

Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Postby dominodc122 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 am

Generally a coach is a lot like a big block V8 ... the more and harder you accelerate...the more gas consumption - funnily enough a Detroit 8V71(568 Cu Inches) has less torque but uses more fuel than a 6V92(552 Cu Inches) but obviously has better acceleration...therefore the V8 has less power than the V6 in low torque ranges -It will also depend on what you are using it for and how far you intend to travel and ultimately how often - I have a Domino DC122 original (same as the Austral Tourmaster only an earlier version - I can get 6 kms to 1 litre of diesel unladen at 100k/ph, but this will drop to roughly 4.8 with weight included or as little as 2.8 around cities due to stop/starts. I bought mine more for the nostalgia aspect rather than fuel economy and the fact that a Detroit is a very reliable engine that requires minimal tinkering (I have seen these engines sit unused for 2 years or more and start up after only a few rotations - with minimal cranking to get oil back into the engine oil galleries - you try that with a CAT or any european engine and it with probably break something!!! (I would trade reliability for economy any day) so to sum up, if you have a lead foot you empty your wallet faster :shock:
dominodc122

Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Postby Awesome » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:36 am

Hi, I have a 1982 Mercedes O305 bus, top speed 85kmh, 3 speed auto & on the highway fully laden I get about 3.3 k's per litre. This drops to 2.8 around town.
Due to the design (rev limiter) it is incapable of going above 2200 revs per minute, so going down a hill with my foot flat to the floor I can only get 86k's!

Hope this helps.
Weird... is just a side effect of being AWESOME
Awesome

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0305 mkll

Postby Romen2 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm

We are about 16 tonne and 19 meters, I am happy with our 2.6 ks per liter. We are full time and fuel consumption is what it is!
DOING IT OUR WAY!
Romen2

Postby boronia » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

19 metres ?

long ? :shock:
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby blackdog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 am

I'm at 20m approx 19ton. Austral doing 100kph with 6v92 avarage 2.8km/l.
blackdog

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions