4 children => decker

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
mchenry

4 children => decker

Post by mchenry »

I have been dreaming of a bus conversion for many years now and spent many a night staring at the ceiling in bed planning it out...

Being family of 6 (4 children) space is going to be the issue and time and time again I keep coming back to the option of converting a double decker. I had considered the standard options of a Denning with a raised roof however this results in a lot of hard work and expense whilst still maintaining the same floor area.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who can guide me here on the pitfalls that I may not have thought of to date regarding a decker.

What sort of money I should budget to purchase one. About six months ago I say 4 in QLD selling on eBay for $30k and I now see the same buses listed for $71K so I'm willing to wait and get a good one at the right price.

From what I have learnt so far there are mainly Denning Landseer & Volvo B10M Double Deckers.

The only problems I see so far are:
a) due to height I could not put solar on top
b) that these units don't come up for sale too often

Thanks in advance...
Cary

Re: 4 children => decker

Post by Cary »

One of the restrictions I would be looking into is where you plan to stay while travelling? If it is free camp style grounds you should be right but if it is more caravan park style there might not be to many parks that will welcome you.

I have seen a few single deck coaches that have been fitted out to fit a family of 6 or more. Basically double/queen bed up the back then 2 sets of bunks on each side, then bathroom-living room kitchen etc.

Good luck either way, i would love to convert a DD I the future. :)
mchenry

Post by mchenry »

Hi Cary,

Do you mean a bus would not be welcome due to it's size or a double decker due to it's height?

I am interested in finding some examples of single deck bus converted for 6 as you described above. A single decker such as a Denning Lanseer would be my preference for a first time conversion however I am concerned that it would require a raising of the roof and then it becomes more of a project than I envisage a double decker fit out would be. I suspect that once the roof gets cut off and the skins removed then there's 6+ months gone. I want to be touring and living the dream and not working on my conversion for 3+ years :) Have you decided to raise the roof on yours?

My current thinking is that if I can fit us into a Landseer that does not involve major structural work such as a roof raise then I'm in otherwise the decker option need to be explored further. (can't get my mind past that upstairs lounge with 270 degree views)
jasonjason
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Post by jasonjason »

I have an Austral Tourmaster fitted out for a family of 8, (6 kids and 2 adults) , no raised roof, and we have enough room.

From the back, cupboards on the back wall, queen bed, 3 bunks on each side, toilet on passengers side, bathroom on drivers side, then kitchen, then 2 sets of bus seats each sisde facing each other with table in the middle.

No "lounge" but it doesnt bother us as we travel to see things other than the inside of the bus.

Hope that helps :)

Jason
mchenry

Post by mchenry »

Jason,

I think you just became my new best friend.

This is almost exactly what I am after. Was thinking of 2 bunks on either side with drawers underneath.

Is you dining 2 seats facing 2 seats with a table between on both side of the bus? i.e. 2 tables with an isle in between?

How do you go for storage? Do you drag a trailer? I'd love to see some pics if possible.

Thanks
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Post by dominodc122 »

Was always going to put a PMC 'Apollo' K113 TR on my wish list to convert (Drove them for Sunliner and know they handle brilliantly and have walk in luggage cargo bins so no grovelling and can pretty much carry anything (even install a shower in there if you want) and it meets the 270 degree criteria :D :D :D
89K113EXTWEB.jpg
89K113EXTWEB.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 19603 times
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Those Scanias were great to drive.

Young kids would love the bunk behind the driver's seat.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Single deck build without a roof raise would all depend on how tall you are. I'm 6 foot, (1800mm or thereabouts) and I couldn't walk down the isle, (drop down isle) in my Austral Tourmaster without bending the neck. Haven't stepped foot onto a double decker but would imagine it would be similar.

Dirk
Cary

Post by Cary »

Speaking to a coach company boss a few months back he said that decker a had a slightly lower roof, compared to a standard landseer. I stood in a denning denair and there was just enough room to live with, I'm just over 6 foot.

When I get mine, denair or landseer, I probably won't raise the roof or flatten the floor. Plan I to do a basic fit out and get on the road ASAP. Then rebuilt and refit it after I know what works where and do the roof lift of needed.
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

I do not intend to cut or modify my Domino as I know that it will hold its value as is - Denning DenAir's will be the same as the nostalgia factor and styling will make both of these units a collectors item in years to come. given they are both Detroit powered with American running gear - I don't think European units will be the same or Japanese (Hino..etc) ..but you never know :wink:
Oddbod

Post by Oddbod »

I'm in the same boat, or bus as it may be...
We have 4 kids also , and we ended up buying a ex pioneer ansair Scenicruiser coach. Was only a 4 berth when we got it but have changed it to 6 by changing the double bunk to a triple (youngest has only fallen off the top once....) and changing one of the seats out the front to be a fold out bed for the teenager. Still leaves us room down one side opposite the bunk for the shower and toilet and wardrobe space .it's still a work in progress.....
We toyed with the double deck idea also, but thought that there are bound to be small country towns out there with overhead power lines that will cause problems and long detours to get around... Not to mention underpasses and low rail bridges.. That's partly why we ended up with the single deck.
As for height, I must be short, I can stand up in any bus I've been in!
1958 Morris Conmmercial LC5 truck
1957 Morris Minor panelvan
1967 ansair Scenicrusier motorhome
"MORRIS QUALITY ENGINEERING - putting oil back in the ground for the last 80 years! "
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

"We have 4 kids also , and we ended up buying a ex pioneer ansair Scenicruiser coach"
Can we have an exterior picture of her please? :)
Oddbod

Post by Oddbod »

Sorry I missed your request for photos ! I only have these two at the moment, will try to put more up in due course :D
Currently changing the colour from grey to blue and silver piece by piece....

1958 Morris Conmmercial LC5 truck
1957 Morris Minor panelvan
1967 ansair Scenicrusier motorhome
"MORRIS QUALITY ENGINEERING - putting oil back in the ground for the last 80 years! "
Kizzycav

Post by Kizzycav »

Hi everyone, I am looking to buy an old London double decker bus, we had one we lived in for a while when I was a kid and I would love to purchase one in dribble condition preferably around the mid north coast region. Any leads would be so appreciated. ..cheers
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Presumably you mean an Australian equivalent of a London Double Decker bus? If so, which era? Front engine or rear engine?

You would probably have to go to England to buy a real one.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

boronia wrote:Presumably you mean an Australian equivalent of a London Double Decker bus? If so, which era? Front engine or rear engine?

You would probably have to go to England to buy a real one.
there is some around I heard one in South Australia two in Western Australia I sold a Manual to at lease three in Australia
Guy Arab

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”