what phone do you have

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

pakenhamtrain

Re: what phone do you have

Post by pakenhamtrain »

After killing the screen on my old one I've got a Telstra Smart-Touch.
Insert 200 characters as signature
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

iConfused,
Have you considered getting a proof of age card to replace your old learners permit? In SA these cards look rather much like a drivers licence yet are not; nor do they have an expiry date.

And thanks to both iConfused and Volvo B12BLEA for a couple of non-rave stories about the iPhone - Some people can only rave on about the iPhone and how good it is; and it is refreshing to see a couple that don't.

regards,
iGotanAndriod!
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Brendan03
Favourite Vehicle: Not an S set.

Post by Brendan03 »

The Phonj wrote:iConfused,
Have you considered getting a proof of age card to replace your old learners permit? In SA these cards look rather much like a drivers licence yet are not; nor do they have an expiry date.

And thanks to both iConfused and Volvo B12BLEA for a couple of non-rave stories about the iPhone - Some people can only rave on about the iPhone and how good it is; and it is refreshing to see a couple that don't.

regards,
iGotanAndriod!

I had an Android before I got my iPhone. I bought it outright, spent $600 on it... had it for a few months before I was close to throwing it at the wall (It even killed its own Wifi through a HTC OTA Update and noone has been able to work out how to fix it) - I ended up just giving it away to a friend.

I'm personally looking forward to iOs 5's Notification updates on the iPhone as the current notification system has often left me wanting to scream and throw the phone across the room.
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

The Phonj wrote:Some people can only rave on about the iPhone and how good it is; and it is refreshing to see a couple that don't.
Everything has it's faults... as much as I love my Desire, it's big issue is the internal memory, or lackthereof... I ended up rooting and S-OFFing it so I could avoid the Low Memory errors that popped up when it was too full.

Having said that, the only phone I'd consider switching it for would be the Motorola Atrix, and even then it would take some thinking.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I recently purchased an Acer Liquid E S100 Android
Great phone, my only issue is with the battery life. It lasts only 4 - 5 hours if using for internet or wifi etc. To save battery power, you need to switch to 2G when not using it for normal purposes!!!
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Leyland B21 wrote:I recently purchased an Acer Liquid E S100 Android
Great phone, my only issue is with the battery life. It lasts only 4 - 5 hours if using for internet or wifi etc. To save battery power, you need to switch to 2G when not using it for normal purposes!!!

Have a look in the market for a free appointment called JuiceDefender... I use it on mine and it does improve the battery life.
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I have upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S II. From a HTC Wildfire S.
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

I have a HTC One V. It runs smooth. Operating on Android OS 4.0 & upgradable to 4.1. Great phone, great design. I have a 16GB memory card inserted for music, and when playing music, Beats Audio available. The down side is that you can't take out the battery..
Contra la Luna
C130

Post by C130 »

iPhone 4S, with Telstra when in Australia, I currently have a SingTel Sim Card in it, and will obtain a british one when I arrive there on Tuesday. When I return to Australia in late December, I will be upgrading to an iPhone 5.
Never had any problems with it, unlike my iPhone 4 which had a dodgy home button.
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

I have had an IPhone 4s for years.

It has been the best phone I've ever had. Simple, good battery life and good support from Apple.

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

Using the Google Samsung Nexus. Great phone, I live my life using Google's services like Gmail and Calendar, so the integration of Google with Android is a boon for me.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Currently using a Nokia Lumia 800. Very happy with it, excellent Nokia build quality (I drop it for sport), slick and smooth to use and it works perfectly with my Exchange accounts along with The Facebook and The Twitters - I can take a photo and upload a photo to either of the two in about thirty seconds, if that.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Currently using a Telstra T95. Good phone, but breaks apart when dropped. Battery life: 4-5 days.

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

I now have a Galaxy S2 for about 3 or 4 months. It's a really nice phone, it came with Android 4 and is simple to use and the screen looks super.

It has two issues though - one I think my unit is faulty as it repeat transmits my caller's voice back to them, which a lot of people tell me is annoying (fair enough, I don't like hearing myself either) and the battery only lasts a day without a recharge. I am going to take it back about the voice issue.

Aside from that though - perfect. I got it on a $35 plan per month with Optus which has more than enough calls and data.
Job done.
chuboy

Post by chuboy »

Andrew wrote:the battery only lasts a day without a recharge.
This is typical of all smart phones! Using 3G, wifi or bluetooth and having your screen on full brightness will increase this considerably, but to get more than 36 hours out of your phone without charging it is quite good.

It's one of the 'key' differences between mobile phones and smart phones and is very much the price you pay for having lots of functionality like internet, apps, touch screens and so forth.
Brendan03
Favourite Vehicle: Not an S set.

Post by Brendan03 »

chuboy wrote:
Andrew wrote:the battery only lasts a day without a recharge.
This is typical of all smart phones! Using 3G, wifi or bluetooth and having your screen on full brightness will increase this considerably, but to get more than 36 hours out of your phone without charging it is quite good.

It's one of the 'key' differences between mobile phones and smart phones and is very much the price you pay for having lots of functionality like internet, apps, touch screens and so forth.

Get a 4G phone and use it moderately to heavily and you'll be lucky to get half a day out of it.
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

My phone has now developed another issue and is going bak to Optus STAT. - It won't connect to a copmputer and googling similar isues with S2 Samsungs has bought me no reprieve.

Not sure if it's an android or a phone hardware failure.
Job done.
chuboy

Post by chuboy »

Are you sure it's the phone and not the computer? Getting the right drivers is imperative and unfortunately not always automatic in this day and age.

It also took me a while with my Galaxy Nexus to realise the phone will connect to the computer when plugged in but you don't have access to it until you unlock the phone using the passcode! What I thought to be poor PC support turned out to be a very nifty security feature.
drpeps
Favourite Vehicle: UQB605 & TP1044

Post by drpeps »

Have you made sure your connecting cables are not dodgy?

I had an intermittant problem with my HTC connecting to my computer, until I tried another cable, then all became good.
Artzy
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200/Ansair MK II

Post by Artzy »

Had a Nokia N97, but the screen smashed. So currently, I have a Nokia C2-01 POS. :(
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

chuboy wrote:Are you sure it's the phone and not the computer? Getting the right drivers is imperative and unfortunately not always automatic in this day and age.
drpeps wrote:Have you made sure your connecting cables are not dodgy?
My wife has the exact same phone (we got them at the same time on the same plan) and it connects to the computer without a problem, so I assume it is not a driver or cable issue :( - thanks for the suggestions though.
Job done.
ben73

Post by ben73 »

I have an iPhone 4.
It's the best phone I have ever owned.
I have owned it for more then 2 d a half years and yet to have a problem with it even though I have dropped in a number of times and still no damage at all.
I will buy a new iPhone in a heart beat when I do need a new phone.

It is up there was one of my most reliable phones ever.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit
Artzy
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200/Ansair MK II

Post by Artzy »

Now, I've got an iPhone 4. :D
Rclasstramcar
Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor-1961 Hillman

what phone do you have

Post by Rclasstramcar »

A rather bashed up iPhone 3G.

Ben
Return Sydney's trams
Vote Morrison and his Government out this election.
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I still have my Samsung Galaxy S II. Been using it a lot more with Facebook , Twitter , and all the Google features. Yet I lost it on a school property and got it back the next day! :P
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.

Return to “The Lunch Room”