[WA] MTT staff presentation August 1982

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Herbert

[WA] MTT staff presentation August 1982

Post by Herbert »

Here's a couple of Bruce Harris photos from the MTT's 1982 staff presentation at Gloucester Park.

From right to left, all wearing recently introduced reflective yellow fleet nos, are:

745 - Leyland Tiger Cub with experimental modifications to reduce noise & vibration & recently converted to single door (previously this bus had been one of the last to remain in the old green & cream livery - aka MTTb)
65 - Hino RC520P showing off its new GM "Fuel-Pincher" 8.2litre 4-stroke V8 diesel
384 - Mercedes Benz O305 with prototype electronic destination - still unregistered as it was awaiting a rear route number display. This was the second time fleet no "384" was used on a prototype, the first being on the prototype Panther. When O305 384 did eventually enter service, it was also fitted with an experimental coin vault fare box - the MTT was determined to introduce the "Exact Fare" system, modifying the cash trays of all buses in the fleet, but was defeated by political pressure.

And finally, a treat for PoweredByCNG ...

Gold star for anyone correctly identifying the last bus!

Interestingly, both 65 & 745 were allocated to Morley Depot, likewise the two O305s when they finally entered service.

At this time, Bruce was an Inspector, but did relief in MTT Radio Control. Inside the function room there was a mock radio room setup, and I vividly remember Bruce demonstrating the MTT's emergency radio procedure to bus drivers.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Would I be right in saying that the unregistered O 305 sitting next to 384 in the second picture was to be a certain experimental bus starting from two years after when the photo was taken?

Regards,
Dave
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Sure is! Our old friend 008 in its original guise.

The "real" 395 didn't emerge until some months later (Dec). It could be destinguished by being the first O305 with the black rubber strip down the sides like the Scania.
hij

Post by hij »

Great pics of a very smart livery.
....and what was this experiment? I always thought until corrected by someone on ATDB, that 008 was a gassie (I remember it and 007 appearing around the same time).
I'm also sure they both wore the MTTd livery, though apparently 008 was MTTe!
Old age I guess.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Old age! LOL!

Yes, 008 is CNG - but was originally diesel and, as these photos prove, was delivered as "395".

Also, it did get the "gas fleet" livery like 007, 270 & 271, but before this it was very briefly painted in an experimental livery. I think only one person managed to get a photo of it like that, and I don't have a copy to post. In my opinion it was a very smart livery, basically MTTc upside down.
hij

Post by hij »

Cheers Herb, cleared that up concisely in one fell swoop :wink:
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Just found this interesting note about 008 in Rattler 138 (January 1984):
The CNG/diesel bus 008 has had its gas equipment removed and has entered regular service from Causeway depot as a pure diesel bus. It is awaiting the arrival of a gas engine from Germany.
Does this indicate that prior to this point, rather than being fully converted to CNG, 008 had retained its original diesel engine and had been fitted with a CNG-booster - much the same as Leyland Tiger Cub 672 had trialled an LPG-booster during 1980/81?

If anyone has further information (eg MTT Quaterlies) from this era that might shed further light on this question, could they please let me know.
ozzimadman

Re: [WA] MTT staff presentation August 1982

Post by ozzimadman »

hi i'm just wondering if anyone has a copy of the photo of the bus #65 with the new v8 gm as i'm now the owner of this bus and would love to have some of this old girls history hanging inside the bus
thanks

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”