Transperth Bus Evaporative Cooler Pods

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Basically, my question is, are these still in use? OR have Transperth decided to "save money" where it counts and have told the maintenance crews to not bother filling the water and have told the bus drivers simply to use the fan system?

Since I've never travelled on a Transperth bus (old one) during the hottest months, I don't know how well these systems work, when I travelled on #1107 in April 2008 on the 514 service, the bus was reasonably cool in the warm weather, but that bus appeared to have a refrigerated system (as the A/C unit on the roof was different to what would be expected normally).
I'm also wondering how these systems work - I know that the buses reserve air-pressure is used to pump the water, but it the water simply misted into the cooling system, or does it work like a normal home evaporative cooling A/C and uses moist filter pads to accomplish the task.

Sorry if I'm reposting a question already asked, but as far as my Google advanced searching on this forum has revealed, no such question has been posted in the past.

On a quick side note, is it just me, or do Trains arriving/departing Perth's Esplanade station (to Perth/From Perth) have some sort of reboot just before/after they enter the tunnel. I was on a train once, and as we slowed down into station and began descending into the cutout spot before the tunnel, there was a "thwunk!" sound and the air-conditioning stopped. This was followed moments later by the system restarting, and the train beginning to accelerate again. This same scenario occurred as we left Perth some hours later (This was in Mid-December, 2009 I believe).
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Re: Transperth Bus Evaporative Cooler Pods

Post by Bus-1809 »

The unit on 1107 is an evaporative unit. The older ones with the open front are forced air blowers. Only, 2001, 2001, 2002 and the Green and Silver stuff (plus the coaches) have/had Air Con Units.

The mechanics have nothing to do with filling the water tanks. This is done by the refuelling staff who are trained to operate the Sutrak Hoses.

Regarding the trains, there is a neutral section just prior to the bend before the tunnel on the up main (it's in the same spot on the Down Main). There is no power being fed to the train through this section of overhead. The clunk is the circuit breaker opening and then closing again.

Hope this helps in some way.

Rgds,
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Thanks for that info about the neutral section on the train line - now I know what that noise is :D

Interesting the 1107's system is actually evap - certainly doesn't look like it from the front (but certainly worked well at keeping the bus cool on a 30º day in April 2008).

I suppose I've answered my own question, but is the use of the evaporative system still widespread, or is it generally "discouraged" except on the hottest days to help save water and soggy seats?
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

There is not really 1 answer to the question of how widespread used they are, as it varies from operator to operator.

They were the last of the evap units. Look at 1067, 1068, 1073, 1077, 1078, 1079, 1082, 1083, & 1091-1105. They have the Sutrak evap's on them, where as 1106-1114, 1115-1132 and 1133 have the Coachair evap's. When used, they do work well. Even the forced air blowers do quite a good job
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

The open fronted pods are evaporative as well, only the pads are in the front rather than the side of the pod. Water is sprayed onto pads, then the forward motion plus the internal fans bring the cooled air in to the saloon.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

By the sounds of things, I get the impression that the 'open pod' types don't rely as much on an electric fan to do the "air-movement?"

What does the "forced-air blower" do - apart from move air?
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

Does anyone have any photos showing the top of any of the different styles of cooling system used on the O405s and later O305Gs? (the ones with the O405-style front end)
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Yes, simply go to http://www.perthbus.info/ which will provide you with all the history and photos you will ever need for Transperth's past and present buses.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

I already looked at www.perthbus.info for the photos I want and I didn't see any, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Ok, sorry about that. Some of the photos you'll find do show (in some detail) the style of system being used IF the photo is taken at a substantial enough distance away from the bus in question.

Perhaps someone with experience could help out here?
mrobsessed

Post by mrobsessed »

Merc1107 wrote:By the sounds of things, I get the impression that the 'open pod' types don't rely as much on an electric fan to do the "air-movement?"

What does the "forced-air blower" do - apart from move air?
They certainly do. Only a small breeze comes through without the fans on either, and the water can't be switched on without the fans. It was a way of getting cool air in before refrigerated air conditioning was common in Australian buses and coaches.
goroundandround

Post by goroundandround »

There's no official policy banning or even discouraging the use of the evap cooling, but many drivers choose not to use them as most of them seem to just change hot buses to hot, humid buses.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

So the systems were somewhat useless in hotter weather? I certainly know from experience at our old house in Perth that evaporative cooling is pretty useless on hot, humid days and works best on cooler, dryer days. And I know the systems can only cool relative to the dew point outside too.

Could the issue be that there is no "pre-cool" function which wets down the filter pads before full fan is applied? I know they recommend doing this on residential systems so you get cool air straight away
Z2TT

Post by Z2TT »

Could it perhaps be the design of the evaporative system. I found all older buses blew out hot air probably because the operators never filled up with water the evap system and just put it on fan, who wants hot air to be blowing into you !

I remember ages ago in our house we had an Evap A/C, and it worked great on most hot days. So I'm thinking it might be because of the design and how the system in the buses works that may not be so good? I mean if retrofitting a refrigerated system is a simple "Bolt in" and "Wire up" then it might be easier...... if there is refrigerated systems on sale to be a direct fit to 0405 etc?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

It may be easy to just "bolt on" a refrigerated system - seeing as you could add the return air vent where the dent In the ceiling is. However, you would probably want to remove the old water tank and the associated control gear for the old system.

I'd like to know about the effectiveness of these systems/whether many drivers still continue to use these systems (maybe our good ol' moderator friend Herbert could shed some light on this for us?)
mrobsessed

Post by mrobsessed »

One of the Csepels (ex 1054 or 1055) is in a car yard in Vic Park with such a mod. Most motorhome buyers toss the lot, use the water tank for other things and put caravan air cons in the roof hatches.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

mrobsessed wrote:Most motorhome buyers toss the lot, use the water tank for other things and put caravan air cons in the roof hatches.
I'd be rather concerned using a water-tank that held non-potable water for something such as drinking or bathing. Whilst I understand that the water had sanitizer's added for good measure against "all those nasty little diseases and things," please don't ask me to use that water for anything other than my pot-plants or clothes washing...

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”