Sunliner Express / Boomerang Day Tours History

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Sunliner Express / Boomerang Day Tours History

Post by dominodc122 »

Can anyone shed any light on this unit and what became of her, as I used to drive her in 1988 on the northern drop off/ pickup run for Suliner Express via Caloundra / Mooloolaba / Maroochydore /Bli Bli /Coolum / Noosa / Lay over at Tewantin for 2 hours then return via same.

As I recall, she was ex VIP with their colours internally but painted in the two tone blue stripes externally of Sunliner livery and yarded at Wynnum Manly at Bomerang Day Tours depot. Sorry - can remember fleet # or body No or Rego
Pretty sure she was a 6V92T with a 6 speed Spicer box
Many thanks

Chris Lind

UPDATE (05 July 2013)...HERE SHE IS :D :D :D 8) ...
Sunliner 208 Roma St (1).jpg
Sunliner 208 Roma St (1).jpg (181.29 KiB) Viewed 16602 times
With utmost thanks to my old Sunliner/Boomerang driving mate Jason Healey (Boss) for finding an image of her :D :D :D 8)
Last edited by dominodc122 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sb617

Re: Denning DenAir on Sunliner Tewantin/Brisbane run 1988

Post by Sb617 »

Chris Lind wrote:Can anyone shed any light on this unit and what became of her, as I used to drive her in 1988 on the northern drop off/ pickup run for Suliner Express via Caloundra / Mooloolaba / Maroochydore /Bli Bli /Coolum / Noosa / Lay over at Tewantin for 2 hours then return via same.

As I recall, she was ex VIP with their colours internally but painted in the two tone blue stripes externally of Sunliner livery and yarded at Wynnum Manly at Bomerang Day Tours depot. Sorry - can remember fleet # or body No or Rego
Pretty sure she was 8V71 with a Fuller box
Many thanks

Chris Lind
According to Fleetlists, its a 6V92TTA, and by Sunliner you meant Sunshine Coast Coaches (which the intercity contract was then handed over to Suncoast Pacific in 1995, later bought out by Greyhound Australia).

It was #49 at Sunshine Coast Coaches and #17 at Suncoast Pacific.

From the Suncoast Pacific fleetlist:

17 017 CLC Denning - GM 6V92TTA DA868-552-81 Denning "Denair" 868 11/1981 RC45FT
ex SUN 49 Sunshine Coast Coaches, Maroochydore, QLD, ex ISX 243 VIP Express, Sydney, NSW.
Unless stated otherwise, comments that are posted above are those of my own only, and are not those of any company or organisation.
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Thanks for response - It was definitely Sunliner Express as it was the northern pickups coach that fed to the Brisbane Transit Center for the link to the south bound coaches (SYD / MELB)
eaglemarko5
Favourite Vehicle: Silver eagle model 05

Post by eaglemarko5 »

Mate here is a photo of the coach in question photographed in hervey bay in the late 90s
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg (190.15 KiB) Viewed 19288 times
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

Hi again Chris,

Done another search on ex-VIP vehicles, and found this one (ex-Dalby and ex-Sunliner), also a 6V9TTA, would this be the vehicle you after?

On a personal note, I would assume Sunliner did not last long on the Brisbane-Sunshine Coast route when their own Brisbane-Sydney and Melbourne services were axed due to losing money IIRC. The local Sunshine Coast route had significant competition from Sunshine Coast Coaches, as well as the Greyhound Pioneer and McCaffertys runs (which had many Sunshine Coast stops on their long distance services to Cairns).

Operator French's Coaches - Dalby
Registration 394 DLR
Chassis Type Denning - GM 6V92TTA
Chassis No DA952-636-82
Body Manufacturer Denning Denair
Body No 952
Body Date 11/1982
Seating Codes RC48F
Notes ex 736 BEL, 310 OOR, Jimbour Coaches, Dalby, QLD, ex 310 OOR, Sunliner Express, Manly, QLD, ex 310 OOR, VIP Express, Sydney, NSW.
Date Last Change 12/03/2012
Unless stated otherwise, comments that are posted above are those of my own only, and are not those of any company or organisation.
eaglemarko5
Favourite Vehicle: Silver eagle model 05

Post by eaglemarko5 »

To sb617 and chris here is a photo of vehicle taking in Toowoomba in 2001
DSC00622.jpg
DSC00622.jpg (124.7 KiB) Viewed 19232 times
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Cheers guys - brings tears to the eyes to see these old girls - its funny, at the time you took it for granted as a 25 year old that these would always be around and it is pleasing to see that a lot of them are still in use as motorhomes etc - but it is heartening to see that a few operators have the foresight to preserve and restore these gracious old ladies to keep them original and carrying on in the role for which they were intended - they all have their own stories and arec held in high esteem by those of us that where priviledged enough to drive them in their youth - and ours.

Yes - Sunliner didn't last long after both the Cowper and Clybucca crashes, which really started the death knell of long distance coach travel in Australia, not that I have anything against air travel, but as I always say, it is not the destination that only lingers in the memory, it is the getting there that counts - and these girls always got you there! - The growl of a screaming Detroit and the bark of a jake brake still raises the hairs on the back of my neck - I now have my own piece of Aussie motoring history in the form of a 81 Domino Tourmaster that I have rescued from being dismantled - even with a rebuilt 6V92T and frame rebuild she was destined for the wreckers - some people have no sanctity!! Anyway - shes mine and I love her. next purchase will be a Denning DenAir though, as this was the girl that got me my start in long distance interstate driving and fostered my love affair with old tour coaches!.
Last edited by dominodc122 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eagle
Favourite Vehicle: denning landseer

Post by eagle »

to the best of my knowledge no Sunshine Coast Coach was every based in brisbane.

Originally sunliners service ran out of the brisbane office of Boonarang Tours as did Sunshine Coast Coaches.

Perhaps the service was contracted out to Sunshine Coast Coaches but I do not recall any sunshine Coast Coach being bassed in brisbane nor do I recall Sunliner colours operating on the sunshine coast.

Regards

Eagle
CJT
Favourite Vehicle: Merc 0303 & Silver Eagle

Post by CJT »

The Denning in question was a Sunliner owned vehicle, painted in Sunliner colours. It was used as a feeder to the mainline services to Sydney and Melbourne. Only passengers who were travelling further on interstate services could use this connecting service. Sunliner couldn't carry fare paying passengers between Sunshine Coast and Brisbane unless they were travelling further. Greyhound and Deluxe were doing similiar runs. Sunshine Coast Coaches weren't doing the InteCity runs to Brisbane when Sunliner was around, (Sunliner folded in 1991) this service was operated by Skennars in those days. Not sure of the Sunliner fleet number, but the Denning would of been ex VIP, and the last I heard, it was owned by a charter operator in Horsham, Victoria. Chris do you remember John Pearson, he was one of the Boomerang Managers, I have been told he now works at Brisbane Buslines, he did operate his own coach company in Bundaberg for a few years (Executive Coachlines)
CJT

Post by CJT »

Chris, I found this Sunliner Boomerang Brisbane Day Tours brochure. Features some likley lads and a Volvo Hyliner... bring back some memories!
Attachments
Sunliner Day Tour brochure
Sunliner Day Tour brochure
Sunliner Boomerang - 820.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 18941 times
CJT

Post by CJT »

Clarrie Skennar was still going strong with all services in late 1989, not sure of exact date of sale of certain runs, but I guess it would of been some time in 1990 that he sold off the Sunshine Coast runs. Clarrie had been talking to Bus Australia in mid 89 about the possibilities of them buying the whole business lock stock and barrel. When that fell through he started selling off runs to various operators.
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

If I do recall Skennars were "Downsizing" in the late 80s, and they folded before 1990.

I do recall Skennars transferring the Brisbane-Gold Coast runs to Coachtrans around the same time they transferred the Brisbane-Sunshine Coast runs to Sunshine Coast Coaches, and that was around the late 80s.

I do recall back in those days, it was either Greyhound, McCaffertys (as there was Sunshine Coast stops on their Brisbane-Cairns services) and Sunshine Coast Coaches dominating the Sunshine Coast scene in the late 80s and early 90s.

Didn't someone already say that Sunliner pulled out of the Brisbane-Sydney/Melbourne route (and their feeder routes to the coast) well before they closed shop in 1991, which may have been around the same time that Skennars starting downsizing their operations by selling off routes (and coaches) to other operators - there is a Skennars liveried coach with McCaffertys titles in the pictures forum of ATDB, which IIRC was dated in the late 80s.
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 44&t=65226 - Third Picture down (Skennars liveried coach with McCaffertys titles).

It looks like it was (late?) 1989 when Skennars started selling off runs. I can only recall that Coachtrans and Sunshine Coast Coaches got the runs at the same time. Sunliner would've pulled out of the interstate business around the same time as well (sometime after their accidents).
CJT

Post by CJT »

The accidents hurt Sunliner, yes. But the main reason of them folding was the major Queensland floods at the time. The Bruce Highway was cut in serveral places and coaches couldn't operate for a couple of weeks. Sunliner claimed that with high lease payments of coaches and terminals and no income they couldn't meet the their financial requirements to keep trading. No doubt there would of been other reasons as well, but this was the line they told agents and suppliers.
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

Which leads me to one question, Where they still doing charters or (still had routes elsewhere) after pulling out of the interstate routes out of Brisbane around 1989 (or early 1990)?
Last edited by Sb617 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJT

Post by CJT »

The last run Clarrie Skennar sold was the Brisbane, Toowoomba, Charleville route to McCafferty's and that wasn't until March 1992.
CJT

Post by CJT »

Sunliner Express folded completely at that time. A tour operation in Gosford was under different control I believe. The Day Tour operation in Cairns was sold to Down Under Tours .
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

CJT wrote:The Denning in question was a Sunliner owned vehicle, painted in Sunliner colours. It was used as a feeder to the mainline services to Sydney and Melbourne. Only passengers who were travelling further on interstate services could use this connecting service. Sunliner couldn't carry fare paying passengers between Sunshine Coast and Brisbane unless they were travelling further. Greyhound and Deluxe were doing similiar runs. Sunshine Coast Coaches weren't doing the InteCity runs to Brisbane when Sunliner was around, (Sunliner folded in 1991) this service was operated by Skennars in those days. Not sure of the Sunliner fleet number, but the Denning would of been ex VIP, and the last I heard, it was owned by a charter operator in Horsham, Victoria. Chris do you remember John Pearson, he was one of the Boomerang Managers, I have been told he now works at Brisbane Buslines, he did operate his own coach company in Bundaberg for a few years (Executive Coachlines)
Exactly right CJT and yes I do remember John Pearson - but as with all things with time, faces become blurred - would be great to catch up with some of these guys and get updated photo's - here I am with my latest acquisition and hobby to restore to original and also an image of her in the day ( I can't believe I finally ended up driving a DOG - albeit an Ex one :lol: :lol: :lol:
With me now in NZ
18052012(005).jpg
18052012(005).jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 18895 times
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

...and how she looked in the day... DOG GONE...
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-5413
CJT

Post by CJT »

Chris, I found this brochure in my files. This should be the Denning, or a similar one.
Attachments
Sunliner Denning
Sunliner Denning
Sunliner Denning - 820.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 18894 times
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

CJT wrote:Chris, I found this Sunliner Boomerang Brisbane Day Tours brochure. Features some likley lads and a Volvo Hyliner... bring back some memories!
Cheers CJT - There's my old mate Phil Cummings standing on the right (I had totally forgotten about this brochure - I had one for years - probably packed away in the attic...?)Wish I could remember the other drivers and office ladies names also - Anyone got some names for us??? - It's not Glen Edie on the left is it???
Last edited by dominodc122 on Tue May 22, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

CJT wrote:Chris, I found this brochure in my files. This should be the Denning, or a similar one.
Well bugger me - there she is - I knew she had a slab front with TV "bump"( might be wrong about the TV bump but the livery is spot on and she has Boomerang in place of Sunliner - as I recall she was transffered from Sydney to the Boomerang Depot in Whites road Manly Brisbane as she deemed too old for touring - I've tracked down Jason who was our cleaner and ended up driving and ask him if he remembers her details - Your a hive of info CJT :) you bloody beauty!!!

Now all we need is the fleet# and rego to track her down...? highly likely it's this old girl...she definitely had VIP seats in her at the time!
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg (190.15 KiB) Viewed 18904 times
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

Fairly sure it was the Frenches one (2nd pic) that was posted, as the history of that one is listed as heading to Sunliner after VIP.

The first one had its history listed as going to Sunshine Coast Coaches before it went to Suncoast Pacific Coaches.

You can see the history of most coaches via the fleetlists section of this site at http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com (and you can search via rego of all active and some historic vehicles which were able to be tracked down by enthusiasts)
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Cheers sb617 - Either way they are both gorgeous!!! be great to track her down - hope she is having a nice life somewhere with a caring owner - Hopefully someone may be able to shed some light, I loved the DenAirs - can not say I was fussed on the Landseers - too much body roll in a tight turn with some speed on.
BT-Otto
Favourite Vehicle: Brisbane Transport B7's

Post by BT-Otto »

Chris Lind wrote:
CJT wrote:Chris, I found this Sunliner Boomerang Brisbane Day Tours brochure. Features some likley lads and a Volvo Hyliner... bring back some memories!
Cheers CJT - There's my old mate Phil Cummings standing on the right (I had totally forgotten about this brochure - I had one for years - probably packed away in the attic...?)Wish I could remember the other drivers and office ladies names also - Anyone got some names for us??? - It's not Glen Edie on the left is it???

No, thats not Glen on the left, I do remember the face, but not the name of the driver pictured.
My Sis in Law ( Laura ) worked in the Sunliner Office on accounts.
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”