injury at work

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

AEC2379

injury at work

Post by AEC2379 »

Whats the worse injury you had or heard of at or going to or from work.
This is my own on my way home I stumbled and fell on my left knee and Ruptured my Patellar Tendon don't remember much about it just the stumble then sitting on the ground in agony with my kneecap halfway up my thigh 12mth on still not 100%.
I knew off a bus driver in Glasgow 1960s who's foot slipped on the icey step getting in to halfcab and broke his shin never drove buses again.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Re: injury at work

Post by Off The Rails »

My Dad got bashed up while driving for Transperth. Never drove again in a bus.
I had a twisted ankle while on a ledge. With live wires at the bottom, I tried to crawl to the flat land about 2 metres away, but had to call for Dad to pull me up. ( Yes I know I'm hopeless. )

Cheers!
Last edited by Off The Rails on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Leage is a small village in the north of France. How did you come to twist your ankle there?
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Quite a few bus drivers have been killed while at work over the years.

Can't get much more "worse" than that. :cry:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Post by B7RLE »

I Was crushed between two buses while washing the back of one when a new Volvo B7RLE came in lucky the new Volgren's are fiberglass spent the night in hospital
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

While at work one night I caused some minor damage to my back. I have never visited a doctor before at 9pm nor do I ever intend to do so again. As a rresult, I was issued with two weeks of light duties, which included standing for half an hour then sitting for half an hour, no pushing, no pulling, no lifting anything heavier than 2kg, back exercises and stretches, etc etc. Not fun.

The stupidest injury I have incurred was last year. I was working on a computer, left it alone, came back and found it was off. I tried turning it on again but it turned itself off again pretty quickly. So, what's the first thing I do? Open the case up and touch the CPU heatsink with my fingers. Needless to say, it hurt, I pulled my hand back and swore loudly. I found out shortly thereafter that the CPU was at 115 degrees celcius, so the heatsink being a giant hunk of metal was probably much hotter than that. Me and the coworker who handles safety made a mockery of the paperwork because it was my own fault for touching it. I also later found out that the CPU fan was a dud and would spin three times on boot before giving up. Gotta love Acer quality -___-
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Penguin
Favourite Vehicle: NSW Rural Fire Service Cat 1

Post by Penguin »

me...,the worst i've had was probably a penguin bite, snake bite or a cut from a saw, i've been pretty lucky......so far
Last edited by Penguin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are that of my own personal opinion and not that of my employer
scott

Post by scott »

When I was in my early 20's working at a Salvation Army shop, I tripped over on the footpath whilst racing to the bus stop to go home, result- grazed hands, a broken front tooth and a cut lip, thank god the dentist had an appointment that evening, I never run to bus stops anymore.

About a month later, I cut my hand on some broken glass whilst sorting through boxes of donated goods, manager sent me home, via the doctor for steri strips and a tetanus shot(they made me go the doctor, even though it was only a minor cut) then I was back at the doctors a few days later when my skin began to bubble and become very itchy as a result of the Elastoplast the doctor applied, he gave me some cream and told me to use Johnson and Johnson, and he recorded no Elastoplast on my medical record.

Learnt two lessons, no rushing and wear gloves, we had to wear thick gloves when sorting after my incident. I left the Salvos that Christmas.
C130

Post by C130 »

The worst injury I've received while at work was falling down the internal stairs while carrying a box of Ketchup. I got a really sore tail bone and a bruised and grazed fore-arm, but other than that I was fine. I was just happy I landed on my left side, as my phone was in my right back pocket.
Small cuts and burns are also common in my line of work, so it doesn't really phase me when I receive on of them.
nbus
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Post by nbus »

So far i have had not one and at least no one has said i got hurt in the nuts yet. 8)
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

scott wrote:About a month later, I cut my hand on some broken glass whilst sorting through boxes of donated goods, manager sent me home, via the doctor for steri strips and a tetanus shot(they made me go the doctor, even though it was only a minor cut)
That's a standard procedure when dealing with stuff of unknown origin, especially glass.

My worst injury was caused by a flying glass hitting me in the face, conveniently thrown by a drunk customer because I refused to keep serving him. :?
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Although I haven't received an injury at work yet, the amount of walking I have to do almost warrants a disability and priority access for the next few days after.
bussijaam

Post by bussijaam »

Rather embarassingly, I got hit by my own bus when the park brake failed on a hill. It just winged me, luckily, and plowed in to a car.

Return to “The Lunch Room”