Ex. UTA Mercedes O305 1932

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
tbc1983

Re: Ex. UTA Mercedes O305 1932

Post by tbc1983 »

The mk1 mercs had fans in the front header - air was sucked off the windscreen through vents on the canopy and then pumped through the ducting in the saloon at least that was the theory - it never really worked and the fans went at overhaul time
Interestingly enough the mk2's also had these vents in the canopy when new, although they never received the fans
Since the Perth O305s had (evaporatice) air-con, that obviously negated the need for those forced air inlets, above the windscreen. For years, I had been wondering why they had plating, over the windscreen, underneath the header:

Images as credited, with thanks to the perthbus.info archives.
Here is a good example of how they looked.

Front shot of the O305. Here, you can clearly see that the air-inlets have been plated over.

Air-con ducts with individual, Smith's air nozzles. Also visible, are those circular air-ducts. They appears as nodes on the roof in the first pic.

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
Randommann
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O305

Post by Randommann »

Hello All,

Today I saw 1932 with all of its liquor advertising stickers off. I took a few shots of it in its stickerless state.
Here are three shots of 1932 without its stickers on. I decided to merge these three photos into one to save space (You'll know why after you finish reading this post and have a good look). The bus certainly needs repainting; even some bits of blue from its UTA livery is showing through now...
Here are three shots of 1932 without its stickers on. I decided to merge these three photos into one to save space (You'll know why after you finish reading this post and have a good look). The bus certainly needs repainting; even some bits of blue from its UTA livery is showing through now...
stickerless1932.jpg (226.51 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Then I noticed that the bus had some fibreglass cracks at the front which wern't there before (Which was wierd), so I took a shot of one of the many cracks, plus a (brand new) cracked blinker cover...
One of 1932's front fibreglass cracks.
One of 1932's front fibreglass cracks.
1932crack.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
This poor blinker cover was fitted on for only a week before it cracked....
This poor blinker cover was fitted on for only a week before it cracked....
1932blinker.jpg (101.92 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
After I took these shots, a man walked up to me and asked why I was taking photos. I told him that I was a bus enthusiast and that I was wondering why the bus had all of its stickers off and had the cracks. The man, who revealed that he was the driver and carer of the bus, then said to me that a couple of days ago the bus rolled from its parked state into a car parked across Rusden Street, and recieved the cracks (And cracked blinker) from the impact. He said he didn't know why the stickers were off though; the actual owner did this and he didn't know the reason (I myself guess that it was related with the crash). As a result, the bus will be written off until it gets fixed.
Then I told the driver/carer about wanting to get 1932 someday. His replies were that the St. Kilda Hotel have no plans of getting rid of it even in the distant future, as the bus still runs well despite its age and they utterly depend on it for transporting their customers.
The bus carer/driver then said that I was allowed to go inside the bus if I wanted. So, with a sincere thanks, I did. While I was in there I took some proper inside shots (Not from outside of the windscreen);
1932's interior from the front.
1932's interior from the front.
1932interiorfromfront.jpg (122.45 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
1932's interior from the rear.
1932's interior from the rear.
1932interiorfromrear.jpg (116.51 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Left: The original body plate behind the rear door.<br />Right: Three jet nozzles beside a &quot;NO SMOKING&quot; sign (Which I believe is original)
Left: The original body plate behind the rear door.
Right: Three jet nozzles beside a "NO SMOKING" sign (Which I believe is original)
1932bodyplatejetsnosmoking.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
The &quot;Weathershield&quot; under the rear emergency roof exit.
The "Weathershield" under the rear emergency roof exit.
1932weathershield.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
The dash.
The dash.
1932dashbirds'eye.jpg (106.21 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
And then I found the chassi and body certification plates behind the driver's seat;
The body certification plate. It says here that the body was manufactured by Leyland. Does this mean that Leyland owned PMC??
The body certification plate. It says here that the body was manufactured by Leyland. Does this mean that Leyland owned PMC??
pmcleylandmanufactureplate1932.jpg (193.84 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
The chassis certification plate.
The chassis certification plate.
mercedesbenzmanufactureplate1932.jpg (126.86 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Well, these are some more pics for TOPS (Many more, actually :lol: ).
Just as a follow-up from what that driver/carer said, you'll probably have a hard time trying to get it at the moment, especially since the St. Kilda Hotel still really want to keep the bus...

Thanks,
The Man of Randomness.
"100 speed limited... by drivetrain."

I will report and cover any significant bus events from the Armidale region.
baldheadedbusdriver

Post by baldheadedbusdriver »

I remember this bus from my days at kinsgrove, it was one of the worst MK1's in the depot, it was slow, would rattle, slip & thump thru gear changes,it did from new, it was in the work shop more than it was on the road, in the last 18 months of its life it was relegated to short route service runs, school runs & staff bus whenever the tow truck went out we all knew what it was going to pick up. no body wanted to drive it. Obviously after it sold was somebody wouldve spent a lot of money on it for it to still be running. i though it wouldve been in the graveyard by now.
baldheadedbusdriver

Post by baldheadedbusdriver »

is this bus still alive, i remember this bus from my days at Kinsgrove, it was slow, slip and miss gear changes, rattle, it didnt like hills, it was like that from new, it was always at chullora in the workshop more than it was on the road, everybody hated driving it. in the last 18 months of its life it was relegated to short school runs & staff bus duties. if it did happen to go out on route service it was never far from home & would only do 4hrs at a time, then have to have a rest. Somebody wouldve spent a lot of money on to keep it running, i thought by now it would been in the bus graveyard. If its only doing pub runs prob thats all its capable of doing. It mustve been one of the worst MK1's in govt service, 90% of them were good buses but most of the 1900 series mk1's were crap.
Randommann

Post by Randommann »

baldheadedbusdriver wrote:is this bus still alive, i remember this bus from my days at Kinsgrove, it was slow, slip and miss gear changes, rattle, it didnt like hills, it was like that from new, it was always at chullora in the workshop more than it was on the road, everybody hated driving it. in the last 18 months of its life it was relegated to short school runs & staff bus duties. if it did happen to go out on route service it was never far from home & would only do 4hrs at a time, then have to have a rest. Somebody wouldve spent a lot of money on to keep it running, i thought by now it would been in the bus graveyard. If its only doing pub runs prob thats all its capable of doing. It mustve been one of the worst MK1's in govt service, 90% of them were good buses but most of the 1900 series mk1's were crap.
Yes, the bus is still alive and is still running.

Thanks for your input on its government life. Edwards bought it after this and used it on town runs in Armidale for ten more years, so they must have spent a lot of money on it to keep it running if it is that bad. such a shame that it is slow though :( .

Perhaps Mark Is 1818 or 1839, which are also in Armidale, might be better buys (Despite the single doors) if I am ever going to get a Mercedes O305.

denningman
Favourite Vehicle: 1989 Denning Landseer

Post by denningman »

Randommann wrote:
Yes, the bus is still alive and is still running.

Thanks for your input on its government life. Edwards bought it after this and used it on town runs in Armidale for ten more years, so they must have spent a lot of money on it to keep it running if it is that bad. such a shame that it is slow though :( .

Perhaps Mark Is 1818 or 1839, which are also in Armidale, might be better buys (Despite the single doors) if I am ever going to get a Mercedes O305.

you should try and get some photos of the bus now, with the new sponsors
people say im stupid for having an interest in buses nd coaches. I Say they are stupid for not liking them
Randommann

Post by Randommann »

denningman wrote: you should try and get some photos of the bus now, with the new sponsors
I did notice the new stickers with the new sponsors on it a while ago. I was going to take some pics a few days ago but I was busy. I should try and take some soon (Perhaps during the weekend?)

Randommann

Post by Randommann »

Hello All,

I grabbed pictures of 1932 with its new stickers on Friday. Sorry I didn't upload them then; I was busy. Here they are:
The front
The front
IMG_0070.JPG (163.6 KiB) Viewed 943 times
The side
The side
IMG_0071.JPG (103.1 KiB) Viewed 943 times
The rear
The rear
IMG_0072.JPG (146.4 KiB) Viewed 943 times
As you can see new paint has been applied to the lower side of the bus, but the paint on the doors and roof are untouched. The only old sticker that remains on this bus is the one advertising the Armidale Smash Repairs, located on the rear window.

I was told that 1932 was used as a shuttle bus to transport people from the CBD to the event "A Day on the Green" which occured on Saturday. Apparently it was used along with many Edwards buses and even a Busways MAN for the event.

Thanks,

The Man of Randomness.

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The route number does not seem to have changed since this photo in the photo gallery was taken
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-3131
Living in the Shire.
denningman

Post by denningman »

Fleet Lists wrote:The route number does not seem to have changed since this photo in the photo gallery was taken
yea this bus doesnt have a set route as such, other then a pub bus. so they just havent changed the route number because theres no point
people say im stupid for having an interest in buses nd coaches. I Say they are stupid for not liking them
denningman

Post by denningman »

hey randommann. do u know much about the Nissan UD that the white bull pub is using, and the Man ex Busways bus that the wicklow pub is using?
Randommann

Post by Randommann »

denningman wrote:hey randommann. do u know much about the Nissan UD that the white bull pub is using, and the Man ex Busways bus that the wicklow pub is using?
I didn't even know that White Bull and Wicklow even had buses!
Well, that explains why there was a MAN with Busways livery at "A Day on The Green" then. Does anyone know what model of MAN the Wicklow bus is? I'm guessing an SL200 or SL202.
I should find those two vehicles and take some pictures! I have never seen them before though, so they wouldn't be parked anywhere near their respective hotels. Does anyone know where they could be?
Fleet Lists wrote:The route number does not seem to have changed since this photo in the photo gallery was taken
The route numbers probably haven't changed since it was sold to the St. Kilda Hotel. It could have possibly kept that same number for at least 10 years!
The desto route info rolls were changed from "RAILWAY/TAYLOR ST." to "THE ROCKS/NORTH VIA CLAUDE ST." while it was at Edwards a few months ago for maintainence, probably by Edwards drivers for a joke.

Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Randommann wrote: Does anyone know what model of MAN the Wicklow bus is? I'm guessing an SL200 or SL202.
I should find those two vehicles and take some pictures! I have never seen them before though, so they wouldn't be parked anywhere near their respective hotels. Does anyone know where they could be?
If it's a recent purcahse from Busways it will most likely be a MAN 16.240 - excellent vehicles! Busways have/had 25 which are for sale at the moment - I know of about 4 that have been sold.

Any information and pictures you can find of it will be much appreciated. These are just about my favourite buses of all time having grown up with them and enjoyed their sound so much.
Job done.
Randommann

Post by Randommann »

Andrew wrote: If it's a recent purcahse from Busways it will most likely be a MAN 16.240 - excellent vehicles! Busways have/had 25 which are for sale at the moment - I know of about 4 that have been sold.

Any information and pictures you can find of it will be much appreciated. These are just about my favourite buses of all time having grown up with them and enjoyed their sound so much.
Good news, Andrew!
I found the location of the ex. Busways MAN today. The bus is parked in a yard full of truck trailers on the Bundarra Road, just past the Golf Links Road/Bundarra Road intersection. It certainly isn't an SL200 or SL202 as the engine is mid-mounted and the rear door is right behind the rear axle (A layout I haven't seen before). I forgot the fleet number (The fleet number is still on the bus), but I will go back and take a picture of it this afternoon and post it on here, and its past can be found out from there.
I think this bus was purchased fairly recently, because I did actually see it before up to a couple of months ago in the same yard but didn't take notice of it.

Thanks,
The Man of Randomness.

Randommann

Post by Randommann »

Here's the picture:
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG (120.68 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Hope it helps!

busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Looking at fleet lists...

170 5707 MO MAN 16.240 396-0014BX00126 CC 89-203 11/89 B53FR Port Macquarie
ex m/o 7990.
De-reg by 16/3/12.
Randommann

Post by Randommann »

busrider wrote:Looking at fleet lists...

170 5707 MO MAN 16.240 396-0014BX00126 CC 89-203 11/89 B53FR Port Macquarie
ex m/o 7990.
De-reg by 16/3/12.
Thanks for that, Busrider. I didn't have time to do it myself then.

Anyway, I have noticed the other day that 1932 has a new sticker on it which was put on after my most recent shots. It is a picture depicting a man racing on a racehorse. I don't know why that's there, but I think it somehow links to the owner of the St. Kilda Hotel who apparently has a few racehorses. Here is a picture of that sticker, as well as an image of the offside with its new stickers as the latter wasn't in the last batch of photos.

Edit: It turns out that there are actually more than two stickers on the offside; I couldn't see the ones towards the rear because it was night-time. Pictures with
the rear offside stickers are now included.
The sticker depicting the racehorse.
The sticker depicting the racehorse.
IMG_0215.JPG (113.3 KiB) Viewed 701 times
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG (134.06 KiB) Viewed 701 times
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG (153.83 KiB) Viewed 619 times
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG (135.29 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Thanks,
The Man of Randomness.
Last edited by Randommann on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randommann

Post by Randommann »

I wrote:The desto route info rolls were changed from "RAILWAY/TAYLOR ST." to "THE ROCKS/NORTH VIA CLAUDE ST." while it was at Edwards a few months ago for maintainence, probably by Edwards drivers for a joke.
I was on Google Earth today and saw 1932 in a street view image dated March 2010. Here is a few screenshots of it;
1932googleearth.jpg
1932googleearth.jpg (38.66 KiB) Viewed 659 times
1932googleearth2.jpg
1932googleearth2.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 659 times
1932googleearth3.jpg
1932googleearth3.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 659 times
I noticed it had different roll information on its desto (Seems to read "ROSEBERRY (Or something like that)/NORTH VIA CLAUDE ST.") from the "RAILWAY/TAYLOR ST.", which was shown on it prior to the Edwards maintainence as well as in the picture in the photo gallery (Uploaded last year but don't know when it was taken). This could possibly mean that these rolls were changed after March 2010 to "RAILWAY/TAYLOR STREET" and then again to "THE ROCKS/NORTH VIA CLAUDE ST.". The route numbers seem to be the same.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”