Bedford bus In Red Dog the movie

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
THE INFORMANT
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix
Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard

Bedford bus In Red Dog the movie

Post by THE INFORMANT »

Watched this movie and was interested to know if anyone had an idea of the history of the Friegter Bedford that had a staring role in the movie?
"I am the Crackmister"
rick31

Re: Bedford bus In Red Dog the movie

Post by rick31 »

The bus was purchased from Road King Coachlines in Adelaide in mid/late 2009 for the movie, it had been in there fleet for about 20 years. (Spending the last few of them sitting in a shed due to its age) It did mainly school work in that time.
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

THE INFORMANT wrote:Watched this movie and was interested to know if anyone had an idea of the history of the Friegter Bedford that had a staring role in the movie?
I am sure the bus is a Ansair Styliner ,sounds like it has had a engine transplant at some stage as it sounds nothing like a Bedford Diesel which that model would have had the time.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Jerram

Post by Jerram »

stevegj52 wrote:
THE INFORMANT wrote:Watched this movie and was interested to know if anyone had an idea of the history of the Friegter Bedford that had a staring role in the movie?
I am sure the bus is a Ansair Styliner ,sounds like it has had a engine transplant at some stage as it sounds nothing like a Bedford Diesel which that model would have had the time.
Being a movie all sound would likely be Foley (ie not recorded live, simply mixed in from a library). They Foley artist perhaps used a sound called "old bus" or similar because, tbh, apart from us looneys on here who's gonna know the difference?
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

I was more pi##ed off with the fact they got an American lead for an Australian movie. Beddie is definately an Ansair Styleliner though. Driven enough of those old things to know :wink:
rick31

Post by rick31 »

The body is Ansair and when sold it had a 500 Bedford motor in it.

Bit more info:
Built in1978
41fixed vinyl coach seats
Air brakes
Rear bins
N/S bins

If I get a chance I will scan some old pics.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I wonder what made them choose this bus as Bedfords haven't been typically used for a long time. This movie really is a fantasy!
I agree with Tas Bus Nut's point on yet another American lead for an Aussie flick. When will our film industry finally put to rest this practise instead of continuing to perpetuate the Ausssie cultural cringe.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The movie was set in the 1970's, and is actually worth watching, even if not 100% historically accurate. Also worth reading is the novel Red Dog by Louis de Bernières.

The reason that an American guy was hired as the lead was because the real owner of Red Dog in the 1970's, was up until his death John Stazzonelli, who was an American.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

The movie was set in between 1971-1979 and based on a true story about a Kelpie/red cattle cross by the name of Tally-ho who used to roam about the Pilbara. His second owner was a truck/bus driver who worked for Hamersley iron Tally-ho was deliberately poisoned in 1979.As for the Bedford bus it is the right age for the movie as it was built 1978.But it be good to know if Bedfords were used as workers transport at Hamersley iron in the 1970s.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

At that time most of the Hamersley Iron buses were Leyland Leopards with bodies by Ansair and Howard Porter built during the mid 1970s. They were replaced by Volvo B10M/ Volgrens in normal and 14.5m versions. Some of the Leopards were rebodied around 1980 by Smithfield and used by Ventura in Melbourne.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

I saw this movie around november and gained a bit of insight into the real story of John and the things around Pilbara at the time by going to their website.
But i learnt this morning there is a fault in the continuity or authenticity of period timeline with the bus. This was picked up by the daughter of a previous brisbane operator who saw the movie last week. Maybe the WA buses had give way signs fitted on the rear, but here in Qld, she says these weren't fitted till at least the mid 80's.

Now she has picked up this point I would have to say that she is more observant than maybe everyone else here and therefore I will send her the application forms to join the local bus enthusiast society and join in some of the robust discussion currently on ATDB! But I doubt she will take up the offer.
Good on you.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Also as any rail nut would know the Locomotives shown on the ore trains were not around in the 70's, ones in the movie are from the recent Loco fleet.But other than the usual errors in the movie, it wasn't a bad little Aussie movie to watch , I have seen worse, FJ Holden and Puberty Blues come to mind. But Red Dog was made on a small budget and Grossed more than some of the American trash that was on screens at the same time
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

stevegj52 wrote:Also as any rail nut would know the Locomotives shown on the ore trains were not around in the 70's, ones in the movie are from the recent Loco fleet.But other than the usual errors in the movie, it wasn't a bad little Aussie movie to watch , I have seen worse, FJ Holden and Puberty Blues come to mind. But Red Dog was made on a small budget and Grossed more than some of the American trash that was on screens at the same time
Hey Steve. Nothing wrong with Puberty Blues :lol: :lol:
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Trust you Neil :lol: :lol: But Nell Scholfield and her mates did look good in their bikini's at the time but thats all and don't forget the Smithfield Bedford at the start of the film :lol: Prefer the Bikini clad girls though.
Swift

Post by Swift »

That movie was mindless drivel and has dated appallingly. A real cringe fest.
Dennis Landseer

Post by Dennis Landseer »

The bus used in the movie is sitting idle in a paddock in the 'industrial estate' at Karratha Western Australia.
Registration label shows an expiry of 2009, (obviously when the movie was made).
Bus is still complete and appears to be in good condition inside.
Attachments
Red Dog Bus 2.jpg
Red Dog Bus 2.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 10273 times
Red Dog Bus 1.jpg
Red Dog Bus 1.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
Jerram

Post by Jerram »

good to see that whoever parked it had the foresight to shut the windows! I've seen the result of that not being done a few times ;)
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

any idea who ownes it?like to be able buy the seats to restore a bus!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
THE INFORMANT
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix
Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard

Post by THE INFORMANT »

A bus that should be preserved.
"I am the Crackmister"
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

It'll go rusty very quickly if it stays up there in Karratha...
snags66

Post by snags66 »

my partner and I bought the bus earlier this year and is currently being restored to road worthiness. We intend to keep it original and use it to transport our band that plays in pubs and mining camps in the Pilbra.
Very excited to own a bit of Australian film history! cheers
snags66

Post by snags66 »

Well an update on the Red Dog Bus. It has been at least a year and the bus has been subject to repairs, including having parts custom made. Have taken a couple of trips in her in Karratha and the beauty of it is that people either smile because they think you are a bit kooky or because they love it but either way it brings a smile.
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

The sound clip used was from the SA Film corp files being of an SL200, ex Buses R Us #25.
Gregg
Favourite Vehicle: Bedford blp

Post by Gregg »

Hi everyone I now have the red dog bus got it very cheap and am converting to a motorhome just taken seats out. Still has the 500 engine in her and it sat on 100 kms an hour for 5 hours to we’re i live without a single struggle. Only has surface rust and a tiny bit on back wheel archers. The only problem I had was a small part of the airline to back brakes had perished and needing replacing.
Fuel gauge Brocken the only other problem is the headlights switch is Brocken all other lights work and all other electrical components are fine. The mechanic who came with me recons it was a bargain
Swift

Post by Swift »

The only reason I would watch that film.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”