ex STA Swift 760s with Cairns Trans

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
SMS88AEC
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Merlin MO 7291

ex STA Swift 760s with Cairns Trans

Post by SMS88AEC »

This first shot of recently painted 209AHA was taken in September 1988. This registration number does not appear on the fleetlist database so i dont know its former STA fleetnumber.DO YOU KNOW ITS FORMER STA ID :D?????????

I cannot remember when this shot of ex STA741 was taken but it was on the Esplanade right across the road from the sea in the backpacker heart of Cairns
These shots are from 1991 or 1992 and show ex STA 735 and 745 in the shopping heart of Cairns.It was a great pleasure to see these roaring about the town and they made a day spent in Cairns much more enjoyable
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Nice pics, I have always wanted to head up into Nth QLD to get pics of the ex Adelaide Swifts & B59's however by the time I get up there most will have been retired.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Oh man I wish I could have gone up there then.
The only reason I would go to Cairns is to see these!The tubeless one piece rim normally used on MAN and Mercedes look good on the Swift in the 2nd pic.

How did the loud and beefy 760 sound in these with their ZF 2 speed autos from outside SMS??

I imagine it was like a Merecedes 0405 on steriods.

In 2005 I got to ride one of Koala's but the engine sounded tired and muffled and wasn't loud and raucous as a 760 is when in good condition.

Man your lucky SMS!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
davemail66
Favourite Vehicle: E2123

Post by davemail66 »

Thanks for the interesting bus pics around Cairns prior to the commencement of Sunbus (Transit Australia) in 1995.

Things have changed a little up there now, a bit more bright blue around the streets :D.

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... ght=cairns
Pics supplied by Carrie

Pics supplied by Dave C

Marlin Coast Sunbus: http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_cairns.php
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster...........
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

I love the way they were still carrying their "P" for Port depot stickers.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

davemail66 wrote: Things have changed a little up there now, a bit more bright blue around the streets :D.
Pitty none of the Swifts were able to recieve the blue livery :cry:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Swift

Post by Swift »

davemail66 wrote:Thanks for the interesting bus pics around Cairns prior to the commencement of Sunbus (Transit Australia) in 1995.

Things have changed a little up there now, a bit more bright blue around the streets :D.

Pics supplied by Carrie

Pics supplied by Dave C

Eww yuck.I want to see more of the Pommy stuff.

Funny how an operator in a tropical area would choose AECs and Leylands though.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

AEC & Leyland made heavyweight chassis with powerful motors designed for long life, which when combined with the greatly increased water capacity of radiators fitted by operators who inovated away from the inadequate factory standard spec radiators and fans, were perfect for operations in tropical areas.
These Swifts sounded really beefy and in their prime when pulling away from stops in Cairns with its realtively traffic free streets.When not carrying passengers as in the first photo that I have shown, drivers clearly enjoyed putting the pedal to the metal.
MORE POMMY STUFF AS REQUESTED :idea:
Taken at the same location and date as the first photo, is this ex Rowes Merlin, uniquely modified to have front doors fold to both sides , and named ´the Londoner´.it was sold locally as a static caravan.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

More great pics, SMS88AEC.

That original LT split entrance always seemed wierd to me. Looks better as converted.

Did the Merlins, despite being semi-auto, have a comparable throaty engine sound as the Adelaide Swifts?
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

Herbert wrote:More great pics, SMS88AEC.

That original LT split entrance always seemed wierd to me. Looks better as converted.

Did the Merlins, despite being semi-auto, have a comparable throaty engine sound as the Adelaide Swifts?
I agree about the front split entrance, although the original design feature was intended to direct passengers in 2 lines either past the driver or through a ticket machine and turnstyle barrier fitted over the nearside front wheel.On the buses without centre exit the intention was that the left hand leaf was for boarding passengers and the right hand leaf for disembarking passengers.
Merlins certainly had a pleasant sound but these AH691 were nowhere near as throaty as AH760s although the bore and design of exhaust pipes varyed a lot between individual buses in Australia so some sure did make a lot more noise than ones with standard London fittings
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

Here is exSTA 746 seen in Mossman, north of Cairns in November 1988.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Love the pics.If only I could hear a good sound recording of one in it's prime.

Over 15 years since I learned of these Adelaide 760 Swifts,I still can't get over them having ZF 2 speed gearboxes instead of the usual semi auto you get in an AEC.

Australia is indeed the lucky country.
5000AMC

Re: ex STA Swift 760s with Cairns Trans

Post by 5000AMC »

love the photos just love them :D if anyone has more info please post a post/or tell me in a post saying where i can find any info about older cairns bus companies/or even models :!: :?: 8) :D :P where was the depot :wink: thanks anthonyc
Last edited by 5000AMC on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BBL 10
Favourite Vehicle: MCA/CAT 3208T

Re: ex STA Swift 760s with Cairns Trans

Post by BBL 10 »

Awesome photos, love the old swifts and yes they were a rowdy motor but a good sound the had.
CAT DIESEL POWER

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”