Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

insert_coin
Favourite Vehicle: 2-door HQ Monaro

Re: Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Post by insert_coin »

laptop15 wrote:I'm sorry but I agree with Mr oc benz - great planning! foward them off to tp planning...
No need to be sorry laps....but exactly...what is "great planning". Is it foresight, hindsight, reactive or plain-paper based? Is it done from the bedroom or the field?
Climate change - a political tool to accuse "deniers".
Let the immature & gullible stumble. It's an enjoyable train wreck LOL
The climate changes every second and always will.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

For your information, I'm not one of those fat arsed people who sit on their backsides all day doing little drawings on paper. I do get around alot and keep an eye on certain things. I've seen how other cities and countries operate so I have a fairly good idea with related matters...
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

Mr OC Benz wrote:For your information, I'm not one of those fat arsed people who sit on their backsides all day doing little drawings on paper. I do get around alot and keep an eye on certain things. I've seen how other cities and countries operate so I have a fairly good idea with related matters...
Yes, you've achieved a lot for a 15 year old.

ps - are you referring to me above with the "fat-arsed" comment? :D

ok futher to your pm, I'm merely saying I believe it's a good idea to state the reasoning behind why such plans are being mooted. I mean, on paper everything appears great. I find this area fascinating, as stated, as opposed to wholesale change without explanation! Fair? The privates have employed (and imported) some fine expertise.
When I was about 10 or 11 I sent the MTT a list of some plans making myself available to them whenever needed. I still laugh about it.
Anyway, at least you respond...my point is simply this...when you make a plan it would be nice to hear the reasoning AND see the planning behind it. I've asked others on this board that have offered up plans and obviously some take it as an attack on their expertise.
Well, I'm no expert and that's why I ask, and argue and debate and discuss.
TBH I'd rather see a thread where it's not simply "I wanna do this and this will go like this...." etc (which is what these threads turn into) but rather plans backed up with reasoning and argument as to why they're being mooted. Good planning interests me genuinely.
For a good example....the circle route. How good is that? And it is kinda self-explanatory: it links up many unis/shopping centres/hospitals/bus-rail interchanges (even though it's quicker to fly to Melbourne).
Another good example, a newer proposed route 387, which will be a peak contra-flow service between Perth and Warwick giving people direct access to the Balcatta industrial area (these are some of the worst areas serviced by PT in Perth) whilst at the same time/direction serve the Hamersley - Warwick leg in the peak and, simultaneously act as a supplement to the Wanneroo Rd services. That to me (as I've stated elsewhere) is an excellent use of resources and initiative and a good example of professional planning that will likely improve patronage. So pat yourself on the back....whoever came up with that one.

A bad example of planning is Ellenbrook full-stop. What a mess.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The above proposal was not considering that passengers would be stupid enough to catch the bus from Booragoon or whereever in that side of town to the Airport! However it would be expected to utilise passengers primarily from the Airport (But other places too) probably as far Bull Creek or perhaps Bentley. The other sections are basically addons I have created which sort of fill in options and gaps for local residents wishing to go somewhere. i.e. Bus from Curtin through to Bull Creek, Booragoon to Freo via Canning Hwy etc...
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

^^ exactly his plan has nothing to do with transfering passengers across the metro area, if you read and understood that properly you would see that. Ill say it again - some nice planning there!
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

I'll respond soon chaps......sorry for ignorance...just gotta take time to analyse and reply.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Seems like there are some improvements happening to the 37 route from 11 September. It'll now operate every 30mins on Sundays to the Airport with every second service departing from Busport.
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

^^ But im still not happy why cant we have more services to the airport not to bel... watever street and sunday services to run later to about 11ish... JEEZ i hate looking at updated timetables and seeing no later services - even these changes to the 35 no late servives!!!
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

laptop15 wrote:^^ But im still not happy why cant we have more services to the airport not to bel... watever street and sunday services to run later to about 11ish... JEEZ i hate looking at updated timetables and seeing no later services - even these changes to the 35 no late servives!!!
Agreed^^^^....and I'm also referring to the 34-5 changes on the Old Mill part of MPR. I think the 34 needs to deviate (evening only) via the Old Mill....it's a long way for a lone female to walk from the Windsor Hotel to the Old Mill area alone at night - and yes, plenty do alight on this section (incl my mother). I think overall the 34-5 is fantastic, but after the 35 stops operating, at night it'll take only 3 mins to deviate the 34 in and out of that section. Otherwise....good job!
route171
Favourite Vehicle: Renaults, M 0405, M 0305G

Post by route171 »

293 to Kewdale Abernethy Rd and will terminate there.
Does anyone use the 293? I mean, it operates against peak flow, so I was wondering if it attracks a lot of patronage.
Silver things overwhelming the Canning contract area..
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The objective for that operating against peak flow is probably for the industrial workers. i.e. There wouldn't be a service there if it wasn't...
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

TBH I didn’t like this 130 at first….it seems at first glance to be a mass duplication of routes that have simply been enjoined.
It’s very “macro” in its approach…something I think is very much a signature of yours Mr OC Benz (I’m generally quite micro).

1) Why “130” - where’d you pluck this seemingly random number from, and why?
2) The Belmont to DAP via Redcliffe section is an awkward section, and it’s more onerous than the current 37 by traversing the current 284 deviation via GEH. Can’t quite as yet get around a good (better) outcome here.
3) The frequencies are slightly excessive* in some areas

However, after some scrutiny I can see some good planning (lap it up agent 15) and there’s not a lot to dislike. It’s akin to the 98-99 in the sense that it can run short-leg segments according to demand at various times of the day/night.

Freo – Garden City….great shopper service
GC – Curtin…..great DIRECT connector for students
Curtin – The Park Centre….another great shopper service…though Adie Court I seriously think is a must!
…….I’d consider (maybe) traversing Adie - R Jarrah - L Hill View - L Albany - R Mint etc

Good nonetheless, and *should be run in conjunction – as far as possible – with existing services to avoid, in a sense, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Now that, would be the challenge...but not insurmountable.

A quick thought.....if the new GEH upgrade includes a 4-way intersection at Abernethy....this would allow for a direct service from Belmont Forum to GEH and serve the many firms popping up along here, then direct via GEH to DAP. Just an afterthought.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

To be honest, I can't remember why I chose '130'. But there was a reasonable reason as I examined other ideas...
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

A reasonable reason...priceless!
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

Well that's a reasonably reasonable reason for me not to reason with the logic.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I vaguely remember now why I chose route 130. Reason behind it was a process of elimination and investigation. 900series don't seem suitable for such a route that goes from east to west. 800series was a likely candidate but that was quickly dismissed, 700series are school, 600series special events, 500series are SSR, 400series are NSR, 300series are North East/East, 200series are South East, 100series are random bits and bobs for Freo area and the 170's. I figured that I'd want a number which would blend in a bit with its surrounds, I didn't want to go too low. i.e. 108 or something because those ones seem to be for Perth-Freo services, I also didn't want to use 110series as they seem to be for expansion. 140-160 are the western routes through Booragoon and Attadale, Canning Hwy etc... Since this service travels via Canning Hwy, through Booragoon, Leach Hwy (near 170 routes) I decided that a route ending in "0" would be suitable. So couldn't of been 100 because it is already used, 110 does not fit my criteria, 120 could but I think the numbering is still too low, 140/150/160/170 are taken, and I also thought 180 and 190 would be too high and odd for the Western area. So I chose 130!

Confusing explanation? Ah well, time for bed...
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

no, the 0 on the end is because he's still got an old tram route on the mind ;)
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

Mr OC Benz wrote:I vaguely remember now why I chose route 130. Reason behind it was a process of elimination and investigation. 900series don't seem suitable for such a route that goes from east to west. 800series was a likely candidate but that was quickly dismissed, 700series are school, 600series special events, 500series are SSR, 400series are NSR, 300series are North East/East, 200series are South East, 100series are random bits and bobs for Freo area and the 170's. I figured that I'd want a number which would blend in a bit with its surrounds, I didn't want to go too low. i.e. 108 or something because those ones seem to be for Perth-Freo services, I also didn't want to use 110series as they seem to be for expansion. 140-160 are the western routes through Booragoon and Attadale, Canning Hwy etc... Since this service travels via Canning Hwy, through Booragoon, Leach Hwy (near 170 routes) I decided that a route ending in "0" would be suitable. So couldn't of been 100 because it is already used, 110 does not fit my criteria, 120 could but I think the numbering is still too low, 140/150/160/170 are taken, and I also thought 180 and 190 would be too high and odd for the Western area. So I chose 130!

Confusing explanation? Ah well, time for bed...

900 series....we all know they're not going to implement the system 21 routes, and it still, I think, is a great option for long-haul, hi-priority/visibility "BIG" services....aka the 130, which is typical with it's cross-metropolitan range and this could even include a re-badge of the longest/biggest mother of them all....the circle-route from 98-99 to 998-999. It's fitting to have the longest-route service, with the largest catchment and patronage have the highest numbers (unless we get 4-number digital destos).

Wayfarer - every tram number I've seen was just a number, eg 1 , 2, 8, 15, 29, 35 etc. Or are these Freo tram routes?
UQB709

Post by UQB709 »

Have to disagree there Mr i_c regarding the 98/99.

I think high, long route numbers make a network look more complicated to the casual or infrequent user. Adelaide takes this to the ultimate extreme with route numbers which include various mixtures of numbers and letters - ridiculous combinations which look more like password combinations than an easy way to get around (taking just one timetable at random, the route numbers include J1A, J1C, J1X, J2, J2A, J2X and 162). I'm in favour of high quality, frequent trunk routes having low route numbers - certainly no more than two digits.
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

Funny though, Adelaide patronage has traditionally always been better than Perth and much better utilised. We're booming...so we're experiencing a bit of an unnatural bursting at the seams in quite a few areas.
People aren't stupid!!! I keep trying to say this. They know what they have to do. There are many harder things in life than trying to catch a bus that has more than 2 digits. If it weren't so, then the (here in Perth) 100-101, 102, 106, 111, 354, 400-08, 501, 507, 558, 88x series, Rail-replacements, 920, 940 - you get the drift I'm sure - wouldn't carry hardly a soul, yet that is hardly the case.....and these are all high profile services. What next, destinations that only show suburbs with 2 letters or less???? let me see, NP, SP, M ("sorry driver, are you going to Midland, Mandurah, Morley or Manning?"). Come on, the more info - provided it's not displayed in a confusing manner - the better.
As for the casual user....would this be the hardest thing in their life to deal with? Cater for the masses, and the others will follow suit if they wish.

And what about Sydney UQB709? The routes are prefixed with either E, L, M or X....and that is just on a route that contains many other routes that utilise the same method. Have a good look at Anzac Rd or Military Rd services....and guess what.....THEY COPE a lot better than here....and that is from experience. Treat people like morons by continually taking away their ability to decipher things and you'll end up with an ever dumbed-down descension into even further idiocy...just as is happening in the education system.
I think it's always the same scenario, from the top right down (Govts', planners). They want patronage to increase yet they patronise the masses. Or is it vice versa?
Sorry old chump, but I think you're clinging to old ideolgy here.
What next....core times? :lol:
UQB709

Post by UQB709 »

LMAO Mr i_c - you knew that line about core times would be an insult I couldn't let pass.... ;)

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think where you are a little off track is in calling me old school on this issue though - quite to the contrary, I'd call going nuts with a range of route numbers which fit someone's personal mathematical dreams the old school train of thought...

I also don't consider making PT easier to use as treating passengers like idiots at all - more a question of common sense and marketing. Its not the existing passengers that I think about - its the ones who haven't even thought of using us that I'm considering. I've got nothing against using E for Express for example- in fact it makes a lot more sense than the MTT's trend to numbering expresses with numbers ending in 66.

Having said all that, to be honest, route numbers, aside from an interest in them purely from a historical perspective, don't really get me going - I've certainly got no religious fervour on it unlike some people around :P
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

Insult??? so it was you, in the late 70s who introduced the core times in the first place heh? Not a bad effort for a 2-3 year old! :D
Now you know I wouldn't insult you old chump......I respect your opinions, just love arguing :twisted:

Seriously, public transport is already relatively easy to use. Route numbers with letter-letter-number combinations....how hard can it be? Most if not all of us grapple with multiple passwords and pin numbers that use far greater combinations of mixed symbols, numbers and letters (upper and lower case thrown in for good measure) for a multitude of things on a daily basis - the world has progressed. The hard part is making PT attractive and convenient.
Ouch, you got me with the express 6 suffix bit..... can't deny that - I grew up with that but it wouldn't influence my planning sensibilities today in the least. I think, tbh, a lot of the people on here have an affinity for certain numbers simply because they grew up catching certain runs - the evidence is all around. But no, like you, I'm not too sentimental about it other than from an historic point of view. I'd rather see route number rationalisations - that is more relevant and current; eg 500 series SSR, 400 NSR etc. It looks neater and makes the overall communication clearer....but that actually IS my personal preference and not due to any passenger concerns. As I said, they'll figure it out....they've got far too many other more difficult considerations to make than deciphering grade one maths.
UQB709

Post by UQB709 »

I guess my point is that simple logic works best, which doesn't mean making it too simple, just quickly apparent to the casual user. Basically you want something which is intuitive; more iPad than DOS. I had an experience recently in Brisbane, where I was waiting for a bus at a busway station; the route numbering convention, if there was one, was not immediately apparent, making it harder to work out which of the approaching services I should board- and there were a lot of routes!

We probably are pretty much in furious agreement anyway.... :) Even the x66 scheme had it's benefits, more for staff than anyone else though I suspect.
insert_coin

Post by insert_coin »

Yeah, I clung to that "6" thing right up until recently for some apparently strange reason - but fresh blood convinced me of its irrelevance, so that was a positive.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Was told by a relative that apparantly Carbridge are now providing free shuttle access between the Perth International Airport and Domestic Airport where you can then hop on a 37 service. The bus stops conveniently right in front of the Transperth bus stand at the Domestic Airport.

Previously it costed $8 on the Inter-terminal transfer and that was only available for transferring passengers. This has now extended to those who wish to catch the Transperth 37 service from the Domestic Terminal. I don't know the full story, but I believe this is the case now. They only recently moved the Transperth stand for the 37 service from the far end of Terminal 3 to Terminal 2 and right next to the other buses.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”