New Fleet Lists design

News and comments about this board.
Hornibrook

New Fleet Lists design

Post by Hornibrook »

Hi guys,

Some of you may be aware that I've taken the job of "FLEET LISTS" over from Lourie and that's been effective since mid December.

Anyhow, I've already significantly improved the content with a number of errors updated, and all of the individual 'heads of state' who update their lists have done a great job too.

Some of you may have noticed that the fleet lists when unavailable from 9am-9pm yesterday (Saturday the 30th of April). This was because I was implementing a new design which should be more than accomodating in both style and display, featuring an updated look and a greater page width, as opposed to the old design.

Link is as always here; http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/

Cheers,
Nick
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Re: New Fleet Lists design

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Looks good, is it possible in the near future to add photos to each individual bus similar to what is done on ACT Bus and perthbus.info??? It really helps when trying to find a specific bus or a photo of what a bus looks like as I seem to get that problem when searching for interstate buses on the fleet lists.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

On the old fleet-list it had a list of pass and defunct operators. Is it included somewhere else as this was good information for looking up pass bus fleets?.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Kurt
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Unique

Post by Kurt »

Yeah the NSW historic lists don't seem to be there anymore, also the STA disposals still have the old appearance but other than that the new fleet lists look quite good
Bus Videos Regularly Updated - http://www.youtube.com/henergy1994
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

G'day guys,

Whoops, forgot to change the design to the STA disposals.

Now regarding other disposals, they aren't linked there at the moment, but soon will be, they haven't been forgotten.

I'm creating a new page which will solely be dedicated to disposal information for each state, so have no fear, it just isn't there at the moment.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Re Historic lists - The code has been developed so that the historic lists can be linked to from the normal fleet lists and when in the histotic lists it links back to the normal lists.

An example of this is available at http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... ex-qld.php in the development folder - It is only available for Queensland at this stage. But now it is working it can easily be adapted for the other states.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A problem was encountered with states with multiple databases where the software was looking for region files for the CDC, STA databases, etc but of course these do not exist. This issue is now being addressed.
Living in the Shire.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Fleet Lists wrote:A problem was encountered with states with multiple databases where the software was looking for region files for the CDC, STA databases, etc but of course these do not exist. This issue is now being addressed.
It is now live on the index's of the pages, many thanks to Lourie for scripting it!
G. Lewis
Favourite Vehicle: O405NH

Post by G. Lewis »

.. Love the new look .. well done Guys !! .. Now for the ATDB ... :P
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

As promised, a "Contact Us" page has now be created, with the ability to contact any of the updaters or myself on one page.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

G. Lewis wrote:.. Love the new look .. well done Guys !! .. Now for the ATDB ... :P
What's wrong with it?

As far as I know, there's limited potential to change much here in terms of appearance as the board operates using third party software.
Job done.
G. Lewis
Favourite Vehicle: O405NH

Post by G. Lewis »

Andrew wrote:
G. Lewis wrote:.. Love the new look .. well done Guys !! .. Now for the ATDB ... :P
What's wrong with it?

As far as I know, there's limited potential to change much here in terms of appearance as the board operates using third party software.
.. Nothing wrong .. Out of your control I know .. just now when you click on the Fleet List link the colours look fresh compaired to the drab colours this mob use .. :)
R44
Favourite Vehicle: MO-8205

Post by R44 »

might you consider a change to MyBB??
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

The Ventura lists have been stuffed as there is no indication what depot each bus is at now...
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

CB80 wrote:The Ventura lists have been stuffed as there is no indication what depot each bus is at now...
Hasn't been stuffed. The Ventura lists are now in their own database, and at the request of 'gen man', he wanted buses to be allocated to Ventura BL, National BC, US and Ivanhoe.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

So now theres no way to tell which depot a bus is at, Ventura have three depots and National Bus have two, so simply stating a bus is at "Ventura" or "National" is not enough.

Fantastic decision guys... :roll:
Craig

Post by Craig »

Definitely agree with CB80 that its a backwards step removing the depot allocations for Ventura and Nationalbus.

It helps to track down particular buses you might need a shot of, as you know which routes that bus will appear on. Likewise, an interstate gunzel coming for a visit can save having to ask which depots the Mk2s or O405s are based with a quick look at the fleetlists.

It will be harder to determine what is a unusual sighting worthy of posting in the observations thread. Someone might think they've seen a bus at a different depot, when it might have been there for some time, even a few years - there will be no easy way to confirm before posting.

There weren't endless changes to depot allocations, they only happen a few times a year, often with a bulk transfer that can be updated in one go. Similar depot allocations are continued to be maintained for companies such as Dysons and Melbourne Bus Link.

This change also sets a undesirable precedent in the future if/when all the Ventura brands (Nationalbus, Ivanhoe etc) or Grenda brands (Moorabbin Transit, Invicta etc) are abolished. Will we just have one long fleet list, with little way of telling which bus is at which depot?

I hope this decision will be reconsidered.

Kind Regards

Craig :)
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

If someone has a list of the buses that Ventura have.How about not changing it but put a letter or two beside the buses on the list a initial of the depot like K for Knoxfield depot or I for Ivanhoe depot or M for Monbulk depot something like this should not be that hard to add.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I tend to agree that this should be reconsidered - Like Westbus and Hillsbus in Sydney where buses are listed by depot even though they are in a separate database.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We have fallen back to the old database where they are listed by depot.

I have since suggested that we go back to the new database using the depot listing and I will then develop a way of listing them both by operator and by depot.
Living in the Shire.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Most appreciated Fleet Lists.

And thanks in advance for your work creating the operator and depot listing code. :)

Kind Regards

Craig :)
shovelyjoe
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O 500LE

Post by shovelyjoe »

Andrew wrote:
What's wrong with it?

I'm quite happy with the design and functionality of the ATDB, can't see anything wrong with it.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Only real annoyance as far as I'm concerned is the three-second delay, eg when marking topics read. That, however, is due to phpBB itself, so would require the clue-x-4 to be applied to their heads.

gld
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:We have fallen back to the old database where they are listed by depot.

I have since suggested that we go back to the new database using the depot listing and I will then develop a way of listing them both by operator and by depot.
This is currently under test so hoepfully it will be live shortly.

There will be options from the depot drop down box to also have full Ventura and National lists. Such lists will be treated by the software as depot lists and hence the full Ventura and National lists will not show the depot column.
Living in the Shire.
MAN_LOVER

Post by MAN_LOVER »

Firstly, I'd like to know what happened to the ACTION SL200 disposal list, noted missing a while back, a hell of a lot of research and error correcting went into that list. :?:

Secondly, why does the Australian Bus Fleet Lists home page often show NZ buses :?:

In general, i don't give a toss for the lists after giving it all up some years ago, just curious. Still, good work awards to those concerned and depot allocations should be shown.

Return to “News & Administration”