Fotopic down?

News and comments about this board.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Fotopic down?

Post by Rail Bus »

A lot of readers of these pages have Fotopic accounts, so I thought it might be an idea to ask if anyone knows what has happened to Fotopic.net :?: I had a message via Facebook tonight to say that a mate couldn't access one of my Fotopic sites. Thinking that this is a bit odd, I tried it myself, and got redirected by Google to their "Page Not Found" message (not error 404). I tried to access the Fotopic Home Page, but no go. I Googled Fotopic and came across this Wikipedia page that goes some of the way into explaining what has happened. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fotopic.net

As this group is read by people from all over the world, I hope someone may have a better explanation as to what has happened. I for one have put a lot of work into my sites, and despite having all my photos at hi-res on my own computer, I don't want to loose my sites and have to spend weeks creating new sites elsewhere...

**P.S Moderators, please make this topic a sticky.** :)
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
nbus
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Re: Fotopic down?

Post by nbus »

Fotopic is gone for good. There is more pots about it on here somewere i will find them for you.
There were some good pics on Fotopic .
Here is some stuff on it. http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... ic#p688871
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Put Fotopic as an entry in Wikipedia.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Rail Bus

Post by Rail Bus »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Put Fotopic as an entry in Wikipedia.
Ummm... Where do you think the link came from??? :? :? :?
Newcastle Flyer

For some reason, my browser didn't show the links.

Edit - seems to be okay now.

edit- that does it for the browser i think, now the cursor arrow/hand wouldn't show when i need to click on links - couldn't right click either. Fixed at the moment (cross fingers), but wonder why the cursow arrow/hand didn't show.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

Amateur Photographer: Fotopic down not technical problem

Update from the UK based Amateur Photographer website.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne ... 06612.html
Fotopic.net boss tells photographers: It's no technical problem
Thursday 31st March 2011
Chris Cheesman

The boss of image-sharing website fotopic.net has today failed to reassure users about the fate of thousands of their images.

NEWS UPDATE: Fotopic.net heads for liquidation (leads to an article dated Wed 30 Mar 2011)

It is estimated that up to 70,000 images have vanished from fotopic.net without warning - many users paying a premium rate for an account with the website.

Yesterday we photographers' fears that the company behind the site has hit the buffers and ceased trading.

This morning Amateur Photographer (AP) tracked down Stephen Dyer, director of Snappy Designs which owns fotopic.net.

AP relayed photographers' outrage over the apparent loss of their images as they clamour for information and try to contact the website's owner without success.

Here is a transcript of AP's call to Dyer, made at 8.30am today, in which he refused to answer many of our questions.

AP: You are the director of the company that owns fotopic.net. Do you know what's happened to the website and why it has disappeared?

Dyer: Yes I do, and I'm hoping to make a public statement about it. There are legal matters to be sorted out.

AP: Is the company in financial trouble? There is concern that it has ceased trading.

Dyer: I understand where you are coming from. I don't want to make a comment … [until the legal matters are resolved].

AP: There's a lot of people complaining because thousands of their pictures have disappeared. Do you know how long they will have to wait to get them back? Is the site going to reappear?

Dyer: I don't know. Obviously I'm doing my best. I would rather speak to you later today.

AP: People have paid a lot of money for a premium account. Will they get a refund?

Dyer: I will happily speak to you as soon as I can.

AP: Can you confirm that the company is still trading?
Dyer: I will give you all the information I can, when I can. I'm not being difficult…

AP: So it's not a technical problem with the website server then?

Dyer: It's true to say it's not a technical problem.

Rail Bus

Post by Rail Bus »

Still not happy! I pay $40 a year for an allowance of upto 5 sites, plus I paid for extra space, and put countless hours into making my sites look good. I was planning to do more with my Aussie Transport site, but now, like every other Fotopic user, I can't do a damned thing on there! Fotopic would now have lost business to Google and Yahoo with their hosting services. I'm considering making the move too, but would like Fotopic to give the photographic world a straight answer. :evil:

Return to “News & Administration”