Front page photograph

News and comments about this board.
mackinenator
Favourite Vehicle: CB60's & VST's

Re: Front page photograph

Post by mackinenator »

I've noticed recently that the photo appears to change at midday instead of midnight, is there a reason for this?
Please Note: I'm not complaining, merely making an observation :)
Wandering, Always wandering...
The opinions expressed by the user should not be taken seriously. Except that NSW Public Transport is a mess!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Very good point.
Actually I think it is at 10am or 11am depending whether we are on daylight savings or not. Apparently it is to do with the fact that the time returned on the current server does not adlust from Greenwich Mean time when the software carries out that function while the server we had previoulsy did. I have been aware of this for some time now but just have not got around to changing it.

There have been a few other areas which I have had to change for this.
Living in the Shire.
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

suugestion for front page foto. would it be possible to add a note about the photo being displayed or a link to where the phot is.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have tried a few times but I just dont seem to be able to access the comments. Sorry about that.
I guess I had not thought about a link - I will give that some thought.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Unfortunately I have not had much luck with that.
Living in the Shire.
R44
Favourite Vehicle: MO-8205

Post by R44 »

You want a hand fleet lists?? I could do that
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Currently a new photo is selected at 11am in Sydney now that daylight Savings has commenced, randomly electing a new one from the photo gallery..

When the photo is changed, the previous photo is added to the last 20 photos used and the oldest one deleted from the file concerned. The fleet lists home page randomly selects one of those 20 photos whenever that page is dispayed.

There are now moves afoot where the fleet lists are going to use a different criteria for the home page photo, not related to the photo gallery. I am not involved that exercise.

Once that is in place, the Bus Australia software will need to be changed so that it no longer creates the file with the 20 photo links as it will no longer be required.

The question I am now posing is: Should Busaustralia retain the procedure where it keeps the same photo for 24 hours - which was a prerequisite for the fleet lists selection? It would be much simpler to just display a random photo from the photo gallery each time the home page is displayed. That is the way I would plan to go.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Living in the Shire.
R44

Post by R44 »

You just need a whole Directory with photos in it, and a PHP script that randomly chooses it.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We already have that - it would just be a matter of including that instead of what we have at the moment.
Living in the Shire.
R44

Post by R44 »

ok, what do you have at the moment, as script.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A homewritten script that is already used to select the daily photo randomly and also for selection of photos in random photo slideshow.
Living in the Shire.
R44

Post by R44 »

Ok, Can you PLEASE PM me the Script, and the appropriate folder name... That way i can make a few quick edits.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

No it is part of a larger script and as such it is not available for distribution to others.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I received one PM which favoured just random photos varying throughout the day.

I had to make the change urgently today as the file being used had been changed manually for the fleet lists, which caused problems with the Bus Australia home page. So from now the BusAustralia home page is a new random photo at any time - not the same photo all day.
Living in the Shire.
R44

Post by R44 »

Emm Kay Vee wrote:Yes DETNSWDER1 I think you missed the point.
What point was there to miss?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

paulbrown3 wrote:suugestion for front page foto. would it be possible to add a note about the photo being displayed or a link to where the phot is.
The front page does not look any different but see what happens whenyou left click on the photo.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Found a problem in that where a photo has been added to the gallery but it has not yet been added to the index file used for this facility, the script would display the wrong information about the photo concerned.

I have put in a fix for this, but twice I have found a situation where no photo at all is displayed in the home page but an error message about "Usedpics" is shown. I suspect this is caused by this fix. So I am now working on that.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have fixed that now.
Instead of trying to go back and find a further photo, any photo selected which has not yet been added to the file, will not have the link created.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have made some more changes to the software so that it will now only show photos where a link to the photo gallery is available.
Living in the Shire.
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

paulbrown3 wrote:suugestion for front page foto. would it be possible to add a note about the photo being displayed or a link to where the photo is.
Thankyou fleetlists. excellent work on the link
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Unfortunately no it is not possible for the fleet lists home page at this stage.

However it has been implemented for the Random Photo Slideshow - so you can also click on the photos there for more information.

And in doing this I have been able to remove a hell of a lot of old dead code which related to the old photo galleries, etc, where the script could also get photos from those. But as they no longer exist, the code is no longer necessary so it has now been removed.Which will make it easier to maintain in the future.
Living in the Shire.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Fleet Lists wrote:Unfortunately no it is not possible for the fleet lists home page at this stage.

However it has been implemented for the Random Photo Slideshow - so you can also click on the photos there for more information.

And in doing this I have been able to remove a hell of a lot of old dead code which related to the old photo galleries, etc, where the script could also get photos from those. But as they no longer exist, the code is no longer necessary so it has now been removed.Which will make it easier to maintain in the future.
This is now active on the Fleet Lists. All you need to do is click on the image ;)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have made some minor changes to the software today as there was a problem where the file name of the photo contained an apostrophy - the software would not allow the size of the photo to be determined and hence there was a problem. This and a couple of other minor problems have now been fixed.

And fixed in such a way that the looking up of the photo will be faster as the photo size is now passed to the home page with the photo name and hence it does not need to go and find that itself each time a photo is to be shown.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

If instead of a random photo you would like a specific photo from the photo gallery as the photo in the Bus Australia home page use url http://www.busaustralia.com/?picture=1655 where the final number can be obtained from the link for that photo in gallery http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-1655 - note do not get it from a link where the album number is included as it will not work.

I built that in to trace a problem I had with one particular photo - now solved. So I thought others may like to know about that facility.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

I'm not sure how it works, but I just clicked on the first link, and a photo with an STA bus with the destination Cherrybrook.
Cherrybrook for STA buses :?: :o
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia

Return to “News & Administration”