Changes to photo rules, etc

News and comments about this board.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Changes to photo rules, etc

Post by Fleet Lists »

We will continue to encourage members posting photos which do NOT exceed 820 pixels in width and the guidelines at the top of the photo pages will continue to show that.

However I have today changed some settings whereby any photo attachments which exceed 820 pixels in either width or height will NOT be displayed on the page but instead a link to it will be displayed and anyone looking at the page can than decide by clicking on the link as to whether they want to look at the photo or not.
Last edited by Fleet Lists on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change in subject title
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Oversized photos

Post by Fleet Lists »

And while I was working on that, another adminstrator has found a way of stopping photos from another server which exceed 820 pixels in width from being posted on the board.
Living in the Shire.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

I was able to post a photo to a "Where is it?" thread, but got the error message...

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

... when I tried posting photos to a new thread in the WA photo section.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

This happens to be the best and simple to use photo resizer to use.All you got do is load a picture from your picture collections there is two white boxes below load picture you type in 820 in the first white box and the second white is done automatically.And below the two white boxes is save picture which you save to a file for later use.I use this resizer all the time.
http://www.blue.pair.com/pixresizer
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Changes to photo rules, etc

Post by Fleet Lists »

Following the changes to the control over photo sizes, it has been decided to relax the rules as to the number of photos within a thread.
The number of photos within a post will be retained at 10 and in the case of attachments this will be enforced by the software.

However the number of photos which may be included within any one page within a thread has been set at 50.

Hence it will no longer be neceassary to create a separate thread for each lot of 10 photos where it is considered necessary to post more than 10 photos on the one subject, provided there are no more than 50 within any one page. This may now be achieved by adding another post to the same thread.

There is no limit on the overall number of photos in a thread subject to the above.

The photo forum headings have been amended accordingly and now also include a comment that a topic icon should be used. The moderator may take action if such icons are not included.

The comments have also been added to the model forum so that users there are also aware of the photo rules (topic icon not included there). Topic icons also not included in the overseas photo sections.
Living in the Shire.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Hi. I have been reading this topic, and I too (Sunday 6th) have had an error come up continually when trying to upload pics. I attach the pics directly from my Photobucket account, which I resize automatically when uploading to THAT site. I am not sure what the dimensions are, but am pretty sure it's below the 820 pixel rule, as I've been loading photos onto THIS forum for almost a year from Photobucket with no problems. It's just been today I've been experiencing problems, so much so I gave up. Is it just me :?: or are my pics all of a sudden too big :?: :?: Thanks TBN
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

It has just happened to me now... I've previously been able to put photos up linked from photobucket but today it came up with an error and so lost all the detail I had put into the post which took about an hour. Not very happy... And they are either 800x600 or less so I don't know why...
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I am not sure what was changed to cause that but I have referred it to the person who made the changes.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Fleet Lists wrote:However the number of photos which may be included within any one page within a thread has been set at 50.
So let me get this right, if the thread has say two pages, then that thread can have 100 photos, or 150 photos for a three page thread & so on? Is that correct?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes
Living in the Shire.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Just tried again to upload pics/thread, and when I go to preview thread before submitting, this is the error message that comes up:

SQL ERROR [mysql4]

My SQL server has gone away

An SQL error occurred. Contact Board Administrator if this problem continues to occur.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Thats what I got too Tas Bus Nut...
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have been told that that part of the change has been backed out so hopefully that will resolve that issue.
Living in the Shire.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Well, it solved my issue; thanks.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
dude

Post by dude »

Can understand the reason for the reduced pixel size, but for my 2c's worth it's annoying. As I keep all my photo's on Photobucket, whatever their standard pixel size was above what is now the limit. I always kept within the 10 pics rule too.

As a result of this I wont be posting pics to this forum. I've not got the time to spend hours editing them just for this board.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

dude wrote:Can understand the reason for the reduced pixel size, but for my 2c's worth it's annoying. As I keep all my photo's on Photobucket, whatever their standard pixel size was above what is now the limit. I always kept within the 10 pics rule too.

As a result of this I wont be posting pics to this forum. I've not got the time to spend hours editing them just for this board.
That will be a shame, I used to enjoy your photos, but completely understand why you won't be posting them.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I've felt the same, and I've recently started using PhotoBucket in experimenting different methods of being able to resize and edit photos quicker but have slowed down on how many photos I put up because of restrictions...
dude

Post by dude »

RailwayBus wrote:That will be a shame, I used to enjoy your photos, but completely understand why you won't be posting them.
Thanks mate - You can keep tabs on them here -> http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww69/TransitJapan

Hopefully common sense will prevail and a larger pixel size will be re-instated such that I can contribute to the forum. My posts were also well detailed, in comparison with a number of Hong Kong bus foamers who just posted bunches of photos with no details about them.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is not a matter of being reinstated - larger photos have NEVER been allowed.
Living in the Shire.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Thanks Fleet Lists. It appears the problem has been fixed. As to the photo size, I'm sure Photobucket reduce the size (when uploading) to 820 pixels wide anyway, so there shouldn't be a need to resize yourself. My photos are now uploading to this forum again, so I'm assuming the size is unchanged :o

Return to “News & Administration”