Brisbane Bus Lines - 1998

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Brisbane Bus Lines - 1998

Post by system improver »

About a decade ago, I visited the Brisbane Bus Lines depot on a Sunday morning and snapped this beautifully presented fleet. Buses of a similar type were parked next to each other. Some have gone and others are still there.

First, Grenda's six Denning Panthers from '69/'70 all went to BBL. Five were about on this day, centre door removed and rear window altered but still looking smart after 30 years:

Next, a number of 1982 Custom Coaches Volvo B10Ms came from Westbus:

Now, some MCA CATs new to BBL:

Then, there was this Custom Coaches Dennis Dart:

Some Fuji Volvos:

An Autobus CAT coach

And finally, that white box seen in a couple of shots, alias a Leyland Leopard, an ex BCC bus rebodied by Morine (?)

Further info would be welcomed.
Last edited by system improver on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User xxx

Re: Brisbane Bus Lines - 1998

Post by User xxx »

I hope those ex grendas leyland panthers had wilson gearboxes not the 2 speed zf the whiplash as I called them that the brisbane city council had in some of there panthers they were a terrible gearbox go right down in first then back to second back in 98 did you spot boxy looking scanias they had I think they ex boganville mines buses rout660.
Alex on the Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113CRB/Ansair Commuter

Post by Alex on the Bus »

Er, the Darts had Customs bodies - basically a flat-screen variant of the 510 that predated the advent of the 515. But yes, it does look a lot like an MCA.
Oh, what a perfect world this world would be,
If he was President now - but he's not.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Alex on the Bus wrote:Er, the Darts had Customs bodies - basically a flat-screen variant of the 510 that predated the advent of the 515. But yes, it does look a lot like an MCA.
Correct. I've just noticed that and corrected it in the post.
PhoenixC13
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING

Post by PhoenixC13 »

White box as you call it was a ex STA Sydney Leopard thats Pine Rivers Coaches had rebodied by some bloke at Brendale and thankfully never another was done!

There were two Dennis Darts and both went to NZ and have changed operators 3 times in NZ and now have been rebuilt and repowered and live in Duneden South Island. With BBL thats makes 4 owners so obviously a much loved little buses they were.
Support Aussie bus builders....
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

Loved the first pic of the 70s ex-Grenda Panthers. I'd imagine it did a lot of school/charter work before its retirement.

MCAs were looking new back in its day as well. Great pics.
Unless stated otherwise, comments that are posted above are those of my own only, and are not those of any company or organisation.
VH-NJF
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200 (BCC)

Post by VH-NJF »

PhoenixC13 wrote:White box as you call it was a ex STA Sydney Leopard thats Pine Rivers Coaches had rebodied by some bloke at Brendale and thankfully never another was done!

There were two Dennis Darts and both went to NZ and have changed operators 3 times in NZ and now have been rebuilt and repowered and live in Duneden South Island. With BBL thats makes 4 owners so obviously a much loved little buses they were.
Wouldnt be suprised if that was an earliy Episode of Mills.
"Clear for take off, runway one niner.... Vee-oz seven..."

024GJT
966BUJ
129BSO
brisbane fm tram 467

Post by brisbane fm tram 467 »

the ex b.c.c leopard at b.b.l. is ex 346 it was rebodied when it was at pine rvers bus service.

cheers

bring back the trams
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

I didn't know some MKI Volvo B10m's from Westbus went up to Brisbane Bus lines until I saw these pics. It seems the stainless steel fluting has been removed from these buses. I suppose Westbus disposed of these MKI Volvos real early because they were single door units. All of the ones remaining at Westbus have a centre door which is good for route service. :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Not really, as the centre door doesn't get used except at terminals. They definitely cannot be used on school runs either!
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

DarrenH wrote:I didn't know some MKI Volvo B10m's from Westbus went up to Brisbane Bus lines until I saw these pics. It seems the stainless steel fluting has been removed from these buses. I suppose Westbus disposed of these MKI Volvos real early because they were single door units. All of the ones remaining at Westbus have a centre door which is good for route service. :lol:
BBL initially took 10 B10Ms from Westbus, all single door units, although 4 were later sold to N.Z.(Clark's) as well as the 3 Darts which went to Bayline in Tauranga, then to Go Bus in Hamilton but appear now to have been split with ex BBL 64 being the odd one not reported as passing to Dunedin Passenger Transport. Funny how things change as most new 12.5m CDC buses recently have been single door units, with only the long ones having 2 doors.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
skystar320
Favourite Vehicle: PMC160 + Orana Body

Post by skystar320 »

That last bus would have to be the ugliest thing EVER!
Also the picture above it how BIG is the bloody Desto!
Welcome Aboard
benmo

Post by benmo »

HI this Bus was Rebodied by my father Terry Morine in the late 80's. I believe he was at the time the first person in Queensland to do so.
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

PhoenixC13 wrote:White box as you call it was a ex STA Sydney Leopard thats Pine Rivers Coaches had rebodied by some bloke at Brendale and thankfully never another was done!

I thought there were 3?

Also did one of these Darts have a centre door?
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”