[NSW] Once upon a time - Dions Bus Service Part 3

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

[NSW] Once upon a time - Dions Bus Service Part 3

Post by Centralian »

And now for some heavy metal:
6060.jpg
6060 was an AEC Reliance with Commonwealth Engineering body of 1960.

6111.jpg
A deregistered Reliance (ex 6060 see above), Comet 6112, and AEC Reliance 470 6111 with 1959 Com Eng body.

6058.jpg
6058 was Leyland Leopard L1 with CCMC body of 1963. This vehicle had previously seen service with Campbelltown Transit and Parramatta - Villawood BS.
RTW.jpg
Sitting for many years outside their depot was this Leyland Worldmaster, ex MTT Adelaide 800 and still with sa number plates, almost untouched from when it ceased service in Adelaide. It had not been narrowed and retained the 3 doors.

7986.jpg
But Dions lives on under a new generation, symbolised here by 7986 a PMC Adelaide bodied Hino BG300P of December 1989.

That's it for my Dions tribute. Hope you enjoyed, thanks for your time in viewing, enjoy your Easter break.
Last edited by Centralian on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE INFORMANT
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix
Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard

Post by THE INFORMANT »

Any other photos of Wollongong buses Centralian- The dions pictures certainly bought back memorys to a young lad growing up in Wolongong in the 70's
Last edited by THE INFORMANT on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Crackmister"
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

More magnificent photos, Centralian. Obviously Mr O hasn't got that computer fixed - otherwise there would have been an explosion of joy coming from him! :lol: I wonder if that other lad from "The Gong" is watching?
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Yes, plenty more W'gong pics covering all the major and many of the smaller operators of the mid '70's to mid '80's. You'll just have to be patient with me as work commitments only give me the weekend to sort through and prepare. I'll be back to another W'gong operator in about 4-6 weeks. Cheers!
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Wow! Thanks for the pics (mini-explosion!)

6058 was completely refurbished in the late 80's. I have never seen a worse case of rust. They pulled a side window out and all the rail underneath the window and the bracing crumbled - all the way down the bus! It was a totally different vehicle when it was finished, but the Passenger Transport Act 1990 was on its way and the new tubular frame hadn't been adequately rustproofed on the inside. It ended up worse than it started in less than 4 years and was withdrawn and acrapped.

6112 came to an unfortunate end. It was the last one with hydraulic brakes. The writing had been on the wall for a long time but it was just hanging on - it was a 1938 Dodge chassis with a Leyland 0.400 and 6 speed condtant mesh box (with all the gears in it). It was one of the quickest buses they had. Anyway, it popped a wheel cylinder causing the brakes to lock on at 5.00pm on the highway at Woonona. The desto you see on it in the pic had everything on it - Kiama, Carter's Lane, Tarrawanna, etc.

6060 - (Barney's bus) was a tame thing until another company's bus was within sight, then it would come into its' own. It was so highly geared that low-low gear had to be used to take off (unless you were Barney). As far as I know, Dion's still have 6111 tucked away. That was a regular for me. I loved going to school across the road from this place and just down the road from Jimmy Hill's wrecking yard. Always something exciting going on - except schoolwork!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time - Dions Bus Service Part 3

Post by boronia »

Centralian wrote: Sitting for many years outside their depot was this Leyland Worldmaster, ex MTT Adelaide 800 and still with sa number plates, almost untouched from when it ceased service in Adelaide. It had not been narrowed and retained the 3 doors.
I saw this quite a few times on my visits to the Gong. I wonder how many councils would allow an unregistered, oversize bus to be left on the side of the road for so long these days :?:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

Are these photo's still here somewhere ?????
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

The thread is over 3 years old.

The photos are no longer be available at the off-site photo hosting.

You will find that just about any thread over a year or so old will have problems like this.
Job done.
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

Thanks Andrew I'm new to this site sorry in my excitment I did not look at the date of the post I was looking for the photo's hoping they'd be somewhere else on this site
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

If you're looking for Dion's pics there are 47 at one of Denair's galleries, http://gallery66610.fotopic.net/c957089.html
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

Thanks heaps CB80 some memories there (good & bad) I was hoping to see the pic of the ex Adel. mtt worldmaster. Years before I worked there I remember looking around the old depot and the worldmaster inside & out. Without a camera of course :(

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”