My quest for a new (old) car...

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

My quest for a new (old) car...

Post by STA 1440 »

I've always had a 'thing' for those huge, square American land-barges from the 80's (like Town-Cars, Cadillacs etc), and have recently been looking around for a car (In Australia) that comes close, size-wise and in appearance.

So, I am planning to sell my '97 Astra for $4500 and buy something that falls under this description.

My searching has rounded up three types of cars, which appeal to me for one of those reasons or the other.

Early 80's Toyota Crown's (type 'MS112'):
crown1.JPG
80's Holden 'WB' Statesman Deville:
wbstatesman.JPG
And as a last choice, Early 90's Ford 'DA' LTD's:
ltd1.JPG
Basically, as you can see; I want something thats an older large luxury car; but I do not want a BMW or Mercedes...

What have you heard about any of these cars? (e.g: reliability etc) Personally, I've heard that the DA Ford LTDs weren't very reliable.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Cheers! :lol:
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Re: My quest for a new (old) car...

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

Great cars apart from the last one. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about them so I can't really tell you anything. I'd go with the Toyota Crown OR a Chevy Impala :D
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

The WB Statesman is one of my all time favourite HOldens...certainly the classiest HOlden ever.
Basically a V8 Kingswood underneath, so reliable as hell, loads of parts availability, strong tow car, comfy and relaxed to drive, but a bit thirsty on fuel. Get a Caprice and you get electric mirrors, woodgrain effect dash, and leather seats.
Find a Magnum and you get something really special, but you won't get one of those for $4.5k...

THe Ford is just Falcon under the skin, I believe headgaskets were the bugbear on that model? Crap headbolts apparently...fit new ARP ones and they don't do it again.
Also more electric toys to go wrong on these...

The Toyota Boring is a boring car and suffers from boring and will leave you bored... :mrgreen:
Don't know anymore about that one...
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I agree, go with the Holden. Those Fairlanes were crap when they were new.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

I agree...and I'm a Ford man!!!
scott

Post by scott »

Forget the Ford, they were crap when new and even crappier now.

The WB would be good, they are quite rare, when the last batch was built in 1984, buyers queued to snap up the last stocks and they all commanded the full retail price.

Aim for a WB Series II from late 1983, as these have the Micro Command digital stereos in them.
boronia

Post by boronia »

scott wrote:Forget the Ford, they were crap when new and even crappier now.
Ha, the 1990s automobile equivalent of a BCI bus :evil:
@ The Museum of Fire.
STA 1440

Post by STA 1440 »

Derwent wrote:The Toyota Boring is a boring car and suffers from boring and will leave you bored... :mrgreen:

:lol: Only because they are the silent/economical achievers in this line-up :lol:

I like Crown's the most, because they capture the 'look' I'm after pretty well (plus, they're built like one of Daz's 'brick-XXX-houses' lol) Heres a picture of a 88' Lincoln Town-Car for comparison: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... wn-Car.jpg

And a Ford LTD Crown-Victoria: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ctoria.jpg

Now you see why the Crown most appeals to me :lol:

The other two are 'possibilities' in the line-up, incase I can't get hold of a Crown for some reason. Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

Did I mention that I also want something that wobbles all over the road; wallowing and lurching over bumps/dips etc? (like an Adelaide MAN NL202) Or would that come standard with cars in the 'large luxury car' category.... :lol:
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

You'll have to spray diesel into the car to get that diesel fume scent, though... And you wouldn't want it to catch fire like a NL202 would, either...
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

The old Toyota Crown are a good old car or how about a Toyota Cressida same engine as the Crown but if the engine drops dead in either car you can replace it with a Holden engine which has been done but stick to the idea of a Holden car.
STA 1440

Post by STA 1440 »

ALBION1881 wrote:The old Toyota Crown are a good old car or how about a Toyota Cressida same engine as the Crown but if the engine drops dead in either car you can replace it with a Holden engine which has been done but stick to the idea of a Holden car.
Nah, I dislike the Cressida's. They're basically an ugly Crown... With less fancy features.

Those 2.8 engines in the Crowns are known for their reliability/durability, so replacing the engine shouldn't be a huge worry.
boronia

Post by boronia »

B58 Howler wrote: Those 2.8 engines in the Crowns are known for their reliability/durability, so replacing the engine shouldn't be a huge worry.
Those engines were designed by Mercedes, I think actually built under licence.

Why don't you have a look through Just Cars, or Unique Cars, you might just find a real Yank Tank for a good price.
@ The Museum of Fire.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

If its a Toyota Crown you what how about these 2008 models they released the latest Toyota Crown in Japan so how about one of these pictured pictures from Wikipedia.
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

ZL Fairlane:

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

DA LTD's have stereo controls for the rear passengers! Other than that, I have owned an NA Fairlane many years back, and god... I'm a Ford man through and through, but for the love of god DO NOT BUY A DA.

However, tbc1983's idea is good! ZL Fairlane, or the LTD equivalent are a great car, with the powerful and super reliable 4.1L 250 Crossflow motor in them. They are huge, they are square, and are mega comfortable. If you go even the model before it, the ZK then you can get one with a 302 or a 351 Cleveland V8 in it. They are also reliable, reasonably powerful... However they suck down fuel like theres no tomorrow, similar to the WB Stato. Remember though, that if you get a ZK/ZL Fairlane you're buying a car based on the XD Falcon (but obviously a long wheel based stretch) which is a 1979 Model, where as if you buy a WB Stato, you're essentially buying a piece of the early 70's since they are just a huge Kingswood.
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

I used to always rubbish the Crown, but from what i have seen of them over the last ten years on dirt roads, I would choose one over any Holden even the WB which I like very much. The stretched WB Leo Sayer drove last year had more problems than I have ever seen a Crown have! Those are your only two choices, the last one would be your very last.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I don't know why you are looking at the NA model when there is the much better NC II model :? .These were the last of this body shape and were much improved and saw the introduction of the quiet American built 5 litre V8 option that befits such an elegant looking cruiser.
They also have the spectacular digital dash that looks UNREAL at night time with a cool schematic of the car to indicate if you have left any door ajar to impress your friends with!The velour interior looks very plush and not too bad looking all round for a 15+ year old car.
Here is a picture I found on the net for you.How can you go past this!
Fairlane Ghia

Ford made alot of little changes to the NC II series during it's production run including the colour coding at the top section of the bumper (the NC is grey on top) and the adding of that smart looking hood ornament seen in the pic.Things the average punter wouldn't notice at first!
I have been doing some research on the car as I am interested in a 1993-95 model myself and aparently the V8 is as good or better on LPG than the six.
The only six version I would consider is the limited edition Fairlain Sportsman which featured the Tickford enhanced 4.0 litre six.
The Windsor V8 is not the sort of engine you run cars off at the lights with.It is tuned primarily for longevity and for cruising and the transmission has more durable American internals designed for the V8 engine.I test drove a DC LTD V8 at a dealer once and was impressed by it's smooth gear changes and strong torque.I didn't buy it because it was overpriced and there was evidence it hadn't been well looked after like dirty oil and too many marks and some broken bits inside.It still drove beautifully.

I highly recommend you put this at the top of your list as it ticks most boxes and has those American looks you (and myself) so desire.Plus they are still reasonably modern as an everyday driver.
Last edited by Swift on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

My favourite big Ford is the 77 model LTD:

Looked even better when stretched:

@ The Museum of Fire.
ben73

Post by ben73 »

B58 Howler wrote:I've always had a 'thing' for those huge, square American land-barges from the 80's (like Town-Cars, Cadillacs etc), and have recently been looking around for a car (In Australia) that comes close, size-wise and in appearance.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Cheers! :lol:

yes old American cars are great.

old caddy Eldorado is one of my favorites.

As for an 'old' car I'd love it get and hopefully will one day..
Early 90's BMW 8 Series 850Ci. Great car and a Future classic. Just not in this disgusting red colour.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Aw what is wrong with the tomato sauce red on the BMW you can always buy it and respray it as I knew someone had a chocolate brown diesel Mercedes car came into some money and had the poor car resprayed skin pink.
ben73

Post by ben73 »

Skin pink is still probably better then Brown. :shock:

I think the bemmer would be good as a Black or White. None of this tomato sauce crap :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

Deanes 5013 wrote:I don't know why you are looking at the NA model when there is the much better NC II model :? .These were the last of this body shape and were much improved and saw the introduction of the quiet American built 5 litre V8 option that befits such an elegant looking cruiser.
They also have the spectacular digital dash that looks UNREAL at night time with a cool schematic of the car to indicate if you have left any door ajar to impress your friends with!The velour interior looks very plush and not too bad looking all round for a 15+ year old car.
Here is a picture I found on the net for you.How can you go past this!
Fairlane Ghia

Ford made alot of little changes to the NC II series during it's production run including the colour coding at the top section of the bumper (the NC is grey on top) and the adding of that smart looking hood ornament seen in the pic.Things the average punter wouldn't notice at first!
I have been doing some research on the car as I am interested in a 1993-95 model myself and aparently the V8 is as good or better on LPG than the six.
The only six version I would consider is the limited edition Fairlain Sportsman which featured the Tickford enhanced 4.0 litre six.
The Windsor V8 is not the sort of engine you run cars off at the lights with.It is tuned primarily for longevity and for cruising and the transmission has more durable American internals designed for the V8 engine.I test drove a DC LTD V8 at a dealer once and was impressed by it's smooth gear changes and strong torque.I didn't buy it because it was overpriced and there was evidence it hadn't been well looked after like dirty oil and too many marks and some broken bits inside.It still drove beautifully.

I highly recommend you put this at the top of your list as it ticks most boxes and has those American looks you (and myself) so desire.Plus they are still reasonably modern as an everyday driver.
I have to agree there! a NC Fairlane/DC LTD with a 5.0L Windsor V8 is a fantastic combination. They have a good amount of power and talk, sound great, and go forever! I have an EF Falcon XR8 and its fantastic on fuel (its a manual) for what it is.. On the highway the Windsor eats up the km's. Also you'd get a really good nick NC Fairlane/DC LTD for the price you are looking at, and its modern as well with all the creature comforts. If you are lucky you might even get leather interior in an NCIII and it may still have Self-Leveling Suspension! That gives awesome ride comfort.
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Post by AEC Decker »

boronia wrote:My favourite big Ford is the 77 model LTD:
AEC Decker drove quite a few brand new '77 model Fords including TE Cortinas, XC Falcons & Fairmonts, as well as Fairlanes & LTDs and didn't the ones with the big 351 Cleveland V8 get up and boogie. :shock: :mrgreen:

AEC Decker would prefer one of these full size family sedans as his classic car. :mrgreen:
"CLASSIC NOT PLASTIC"
59 Edsel Coupe.jpg
A 1959 Edsel Corsair 2 door hardtop with the big 361 cubic inch V8, 3 speed auto and all the factory options like power steering, electric windows, air conditioning, power seats, etc, etc. :mrgreen:

BTW a lot of Toyota Crown chassis were used under a lot of "kit cars". AEC Decker drove a Shelby Cobra clone with a 351 V8, FMX, 9" diff and it was registered as a modified Toyota Crown. :shock:
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Pontiac Trans-Am with the 427 or RR Silver Shadow...

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

That Edsel is like the Angus burger of cars.A little bit fancy ..to say the least :o :) .
Deanes 5013 is very impressed with the equipment levels and specs in what is a 1950s car :o :!:

The chrome work is exquisite.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “The Lunch Room”