Sinclair's Bus Service, Murrumbeena

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Foden-nut
Favourite Vehicle: It has got to be a Foden!

Sinclair's Bus Service, Murrumbeena

Post by Foden-nut »

Sinclair's Bus Service, Murrumbeena placed two Leyland Lion buses in service in 1970. KNR479 (#37) and KNT438 (#38) had Leyland Lion PSR1/1 chassis numbers 701418 and 701417, respectively, and carried PMC 41 seat dual entrance bodies, numbers 1337 and 1340.
Can anyone tell me, please, the exact month in which they entered service and any subsequent history of the two buses - i.e. withdrawal dates, subsequent operators (with dates into and out of service, regos, etc), ultimate fate (scrap?, movan?).
Any help given would be most appreciated.
venturatiger

Re: Sinclair's Bus Service, Murrumbeena

Post by venturatiger »

Hi there , here are 2 shots of Sinclair's Leyland Lions
First is of 38 when still in service photo from Andrew Potts Collection
The 2nd is of either37 or 38 as a caravan, shot would have been taken in the 90's
whether it is still around who knows.
One of them sat in a yard in Pakenham [nearly opposite what is now Cardinia Transit's Depot] it disappeared from there some years ago
my memory says 37 had rego of KNR379 ?
I'm sure 1whoknows can probably give more info
Help this helps
Cheers Venturatiger

system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

The build date details of these two "wonderful" buses are as follows:

No 37 KNR 479 23/2/70
No 38 KNT 438 6/3/70

HOWEVER, both struck problems with Victorian regulations regarding front overhang and had to be sent back to PMC for modifications which shortened them (at the front) by a few centimetres and took six months.

These buses really "went" and sounded just like a Lion. The chassis had been "hanging around" at Leyland for a couple of years and John Sinclair decided to snap then up at a bargain price. I don't know who finished up with them, but I bet they are still going strong. Here is a pic of No 37:

1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

System Improver has got it right on the into service part.

At the other end, both were sold to the same camper dealer at Narre Warren and became motorhomes - though only one appears to have been subsequently sighted in use. Their sale date was Sept-Oct 1986 as they were replaced by the new Volvo B10M/ Volgrens.

I can't say I share the same boundless enthusiasm for these units - my recollections of going past the depot from the mid 1970s onwards is that all too often one or other of these two was stuck engineless in the back corner of the yard and it took quite some time to score photos of both in fit and well condtion.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Foden-nut
Favourite Vehicle: It has got to be a Foden!

Post by Foden-nut »

Guys,
Many thanks for the responses, which has filled in quite a bit of useful information for me. I am currently writing the second part of a two-part article for the Leyland Society, back here in the UK. The subject is Leyland Lions (LPSR1/1 and PSR1/1). The first part, already published this year, covered the general Lion concept and as much as we knew about the LHD LPSR1/1 units. There were more of these than the RHD PSR1/1 chassis, with the vast majority going to Iran. Unsurprisingly more is known about the RHD buses and coaches, though as expressed in my opening post, there were some gaps. Your help has closed a few of those gaps. I hadn't realised that they had suffered from dimensional problems with the authorities for one thing. They do seem to have had quite long lives with Sinclair's, certainly compared with other Lions, though it doesn't surprise me that they ended up as movans. Maybe one reason for the longer lives was that they had to be kept longer to justify all the expensive sounding engine repairs!
As always, any further contributions are very welcome.
PS There is a similar request for information under Cumberland Coaches Lion in the N.S.W. section.
maza

Post by maza »

Hi there all.
Does any one have any photos of buses travelling the route 630 monash uni to elwood beach during the 70's>>
Regards john
Busnut44

Post by Busnut44 »

I started with Sinclairs Coaches back in 1970 and stayed until 1973 when I married but returned a couple of years later for a longer spell this time. I found John, Charkie, Bill & Reg a great family to work for. I started driving the Freighter bodied AEC #27 doing tours as well as local charter, progressed to Denning/GM #46 then finally the famous Moonraker/GM. Wonderful days with the company. I do remember some of the other buses/coaches in the fleet especially the ''twins'' , Freighter bodied two door Leylands as well as later Leyland/Albion route service vehicles on the Monash Uni./ Elwood Beach run. Over the Christmas break John would roster me on to that run for a couple of weeks as other drivers took their holidays. It was an interesting time making the transition from charter/tours to route service, especially the mid-night finishes. When Sinclairs took on Greyhound Express I was drafted into that side of the operations, firstly behind the counter in the Bourke St. terminal before finally taking on a driving role. Absolutely loved the Silver Eagles. I still today have contact with John through a friend who introduced me to John back in 1970 as a 24 year old who had no experience whatsoever after spending just over a year with Australian Pacific as a motor-trimmer, gained my heavy rigid licence while with them but learned very quickly. Sinclairs were recognised as leaders in the industry at that time and had a great fleet, good staff and excellent maintenance, what more could one ask for in a company?
''
"Busnut44" (Darryl)

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”