Trolley Bus

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Coca Cola

Trolley Bus

Post by Coca Cola »

Can anyone tell me what the point of a Trolley Bus is? Its just like a tram but doesn't run in tracks, but must drive where there are overhead power-lines.

Seems like a waste of time, why not just buy a tram and put some tracks in.
Centralian

Re: Trolley Bus

Post by Centralian »

The ones in Katoomba don't even have to follow the overhead wires ! 8)
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

A trolleybus is the same as motor bus but with trolley poles and electric power it can pull into a bus stop and pull out of a bus stop like normal motor bus a trolleybus can run on dual power like electric and batteries or electric and diesel like some cities in Europe but a trolleybus has one advantage over motor bus if it solely running on electric power it does not need to refuel dual mode trolleys are used like the ones Rome they use batteries to reach the terminus or in a emergency were dual mode is used for loss of power.
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

I think Trolley buses are cool. I've been able to see them working in Wellington (NZ) and San Francisco (US). Obviously there are environmental advantages to trolley bus operations over buses powered by diesel or CNG and with trams, buses will always have greater access and coverage.
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Because tracks are very, very, very, VERY expensive to retrofit. Also, when more buses can be added to the system without having to worry about signal lights and crap. Or if the time comes, bring the wires down and no evidence is left behind...

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

a Trolley bus is Efficent like a tram, yet can drive around obstacles like a bus
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
MaxHeadway

Post by MaxHeadway »

Trolley Bus Racer wrote:a Trolley bus is Efficent like a tram, yet can drive around obstacles like a bus
And... they handle steep hills well, plying gradients unsuitable for trams (or gas buses, for that matter). That's why in Brisbane, the Edward St / Spring Hill tram was replaced by the #23 trolleybus in 1947.
You used to have to pay money to see a freak show; now you have to pay NOT to.
STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Post by STA 1440 »

What I've always wanted to see is a tram with all the overhead electrics and electric motors removed, and instead replaced with the running gear from a bus. I.E 10 litre Volvo engine, coupled to a 6-speed ZF.

Now that would be interesting to see roaring down a Melbourne street :P 8)
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

There were tramways in the world powered by gas,compressed air,batteries,steam and petrol you remember reading about the batterie powered tram in Adelaide and Bendigo and Gisbourne New Zealand and Karachi tramways Pakistan used petrol powered trams alternative power was used in trams.
Trolley Bus Racer

B58 Howler wrote:What I've always wanted to see is a tram with all the overhead electrics and electric motors removed, and instead replaced with the running gear from a bus. I.E 10 litre Volvo engine, coupled to a 6-speed ZF.

Now that would be interesting to see roaring down a Melbourne street :P 8)
Well Siemens do make a Dual power tram Called the Combino Duo

Engine

Its ruins the Capacity though
Tranz Metro Crew

Connex
Favourite Vehicle: XT 853M-1627T-854M

Post by Connex »

Trolley Bus Racer wrote:Its ruins the Capacity though
Not that there is much capacity anyway in a Combino tram. :lol:

With the resurgence of trams and light rail networks taking place across the globe, maybe the humble trolley bus will too make a return in vast quantities.
Metcard. Your ticket to Melbourne.
qutas

Post by qutas »

Hi! No one said anything about the very reliable service the trolly busses provided in Hobart and suberbs
They were used where hills were too steep for the trams. They went to some parts of Sandy Bay, west Hobart and as far out as Cornelian Bay.
Removing the trams and trolly busses (electrical driven transport) from Hobart, probably was one of the worst mistakes Australian governments have ever made. Even had cheap hydro power
Colin
Uncle Travo

Post by Uncle Travo »

bus2.jpg
Is this what you call a trolley bus?
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

qutas wrote:Hi! No one said anything about the very reliable service the trolly busses provided in Hobart and suberbs
They were used where hills were too steep for the trams. They went to some parts of Sandy Bay, west Hobart and as far out as Cornelian Bay.
Removing the trams and trolly busses (electrical driven transport) from Hobart, probably was one of the worst mistakes Australian governments have ever made. Even had cheap hydro power
Colin
Here!! Here!! qutas. The old BUT trolleybuses from Hobart were an awesome looking machine. Drivers I've talked to cannot praise the highly enough. Quiet and VERY responsive. Only problem was the poles coming off the wires more often than not. The steepest gradient of the trolleys, was up to West Hobart as you stated. Then main reason for the demise of the trolleys (particularly in Hobart) was the 1967 bush fires. Trolley services were ceased for a period of time because of power restrictions after the fire and THAT unfortunately was probably the start of the end. I TOO would LOVE to see the re-introduction of trolleybuses to Hobart, a lot cheaper than re-introducing trams as is the talk all the time. More flexible with services is the key, something the tram does not have (unless you pour millions and millions of $$$ into infrastructure). Anyway, only my two bobs worth!!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I can recommend a late night ride in San Francisco when the traffic has died down a bit. All I can say is - make sure you don't have a weak heart!
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Another advantage is drivers can't drive off route as easily as a diesel bus :P .

It was a shame to lose the double decker trolley buses from Kogara.They looked more modern than their diesel counterparts and ,by all accounts,ran a heck of alot smoother.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Have a look at the below link for footage of the City - Kings X - Potts Pt system 1946.Nice view of a 'Q' type in service.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/city-sun/clip1/
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Just wonderful..
idontcare
Favourite Vehicle: Towtruck powered Leyland Swift

Post by idontcare »

Dave Wilson wrote:Have a look at the below link for footage of the City - Kings X - Potts Pt system 1946.Nice view of a 'Q' type in service.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/city-sun/clip1/
Thanks for that link Dave, it helped me find the first movie that I ever saw. My Dad played it on a 16mm? projector when I was 4 or so, and the ole bastard scarred me for life with it. Today it would probably be classified NRC. I always wondered if the snake bit the dog. http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/ ... ond/clip3/
Clip 1 with Kruse in his truck on the Birdsville track was better value.
Ahhhh...nostalgia.... Thanks again.
**SOLD** - one Towtruck powered 1979 Domino / Leyland Swift - No Motor - No Box - 4.1 diff - Grumpy driver
See photos of this Swift at OziBus.com.au
dude

Post by dude »

Uncle Travo wrote: Is this what you call a trolley bus?
Thats what you now called a non-operational trolleybus since the Edmonton system was shutdown by the f%^*nuts in charge of that city.

At least Vancouver is still going and expanding.
BT-Otto
Favourite Vehicle: Brisbane Transport B7's

Post by BT-Otto »

Deanes 5013 wrote:Another advantage is drivers can't drive off route as easily as a diesel bus :P .
But it does not stop impatient trolly bus drivers passing stopped trolly bus drivers loading passengers... As I witnessed in Wellington NZ about 20 years ago... RESULT = Mangled trolley poles and 1 bus totally disabled and lifeless !!!
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

dude wrote:
Uncle Travo wrote: Is this what you call a trolley bus?
Thats what you now called a non-operational trolleybus since the Edmonton system was shutdown by the f%^*nuts in charge of that city.

At least Vancouver is still going and expanding.

IIRC The Edmonton System shut then a month or so later it Reopened
Tranz Metro Crew

system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Trolley Bus Racer wrote:...IIRC The Edmonton System shut then a month or so later it Reopened
Nope. Gone (2 May 2009)

Even in Switzerland, the trolleybus is under threat. Depite some pretty new rolling stock, in Basel, the decision was made to replace them with diesel buses. A referendum was held after protests. However, 53.7% voted to replace them (i.e. only 46.3% voted to retain). The last one ran on 30 June 2008. I managed to snap one in 2002 when it was pretty new:

(There is no truth in the rumour that they were designed by the same person who designed the CAC/OB.)
ka9102
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by ka9102 »

Damm,I wish they'd sell these surplus buses to Wellington!!! :twisted: :wink:
transporting oranges to the world...
ka9102
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by ka9102 »

BT-Otto wrote: As I witnessed in Wellington NZ about 20 years ago... RESULT = Mangled trolley poles and 1 bus totally disabled and lifeless !!!
do you have any photos? keen to see them!!! :wink:
transporting oranges to the world...

Return to “General Transport Discussion”