[NSW] Once upon a time...... East Parramatta Bus Lines Pt 1

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

[NSW] Once upon a time...... East Parramatta Bus Lines Pt 1

Post by Centralian »

I've edited this post 28/11/2008 and re-attached the images. If anyone would like corrected any other posts I've made in the past and the link to the images has been lost, bring the thread up and I will do. Cheers!

One of the small operators with a handful of buses and one or two coaches for charter that were once so common around Sydney, but no more. Rarely were the vehicles new to the operator, rather being acquired second hand, although there were a few exceptions. East Parramatta Bus Lines operated Route 3 from P'tta Stn (northern side bus bay) to, well, what would be called East Parramatta. Their depot in the '70's was at the rear of a service station (now long gone) on the corner of Macquarie and O'Connell Streets P'tta and later another service station on Victoria Road. This operator was taken over by Harris Park T'port. Enjoy !

5549 & 4569.jpg
5549 is an Austin FC with Syd Wood body dating back to 1957. 4569 is a Bedford SB3 /330D with CCMC body of 1962. The Austin came to East P'tta from Glenorie BS while the Bedford came from Forest CL.

615.jpg
mo615 was this Austin 5.60FC with PMC body of 1963.

4569.jpg
Seen here at the drop off rank on the northern side of the old P'tta Station is 4569, the Bedford SB3 with CCMC body of 1962.

BW003.jpg
BW003 (proprietor of East P'tta was a B. Whiteoak) was former TV472 with Jannali-Como, this rear engined Bedford Vam 70 re-engined with a Nissan UD4 motor and carrying a Superior body of March 1970.

5549.jpg
The 5549 plate went from the previous Syd Wood Austin to this Bedford Vam3/Pkns with CCMC body of 1967.

mo615.jpg
TV717.jpg
Last edited by Centralian on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GM

Post by GM »

Bruces Nissan was noisier than my GM 6V-53.
There is a story that Bruce was driving one of his rear engined coaches in Pitt St Merrylands when a woman driver stopped suddenly in from of him. He hit the air brakes and tore the rear suspension completely out from under the bus and it sat on its rear end in the middle of the street. GM
Member 573
Favourite Vehicle: Things with wheels and wings.

Post by Member 573 »

Was not EP bus lines owned by O W Bevan?
GM

Post by GM »

East Parramatta Bus Lines originally consisted of two services Routes 3 & 164.
Route 3. In October 1946 L V Gallagher commenced a service from Parramatta Stn to Burnside via Macarthur St.
In January 1948 passed to Parramatta-Epping Bus Co.
(During this period I remember a 1940 Ford with a Star Bros Body m/o 255 operated the service, sitting in Macquarie St Parramatta outside Murray's Ltd).
To A J Richards in 1951 (He was a partner in P/E, Parra Bus Co, and The Astra Theatre. Later he owned a service at Mosman).
To W C Allison in May 1953 then to O W & C S Bevan. (Route 164 Parramatta - Webb St was absorbed in to 3 in September 1971).
Bruce Whiteoak (Trading as East Parramatta Bus Lines) took over in 1973.
Route 164 was started by A J Richards in 1951, Parramatta to East Parramatta.
Transferred to Dundas Valley Coach Co (Col Sinclair) in September 1959, to Barry Barton on the 9th June 1967, to Forest Coach Lines on 1st December 1968, to O Bevan on 31st January 1969, absorbed into Route 3 in September 1971.
The normal control Chev with the Syd Wood body originally belonged to Ces Prowse of Route 45 Canley Vale Stn to Edensor Park. GM
Member 573
Favourite Vehicle: Things with wheels and wings.

Post by Member 573 »

Fascinating time-line. Where did Sinclair have his depot??

Someone once told me there was a depot in the very early days on King st Dundas Valley opposite Yates ave??
Matymoo

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time...... East Parramatta Bus Lines Pt 1

Post by Matymoo »

I'm visiting Dundas Valley now, (grew up here as a kid)..... Townhouses currently being built on the Yates av/king st intersection now. Lived here between 1979 and 2004, never remembered a bus depot there.
Hunterbus3550
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Buses

Post by Hunterbus3550 »

I remember East Parr,s Depot at Granville, vacant block of land across the road from St Marks Church, Jamersion Rd (I think) this was in 1982, their last Depot was on the cnr Victoria Rd & (not sure) but it was across the road from the Mobil Service station that was about 1988.
GM

Post by GM »

East Parramatta Bus Lines last depot was in Jamieson St Granville further down the street from St Marks, closer to the railway, opposite the Masonic Temple.
He was in Victoria Rd earlier but I thought it was an Ampol Service Station?
At one stage he was on the corner of Victoria Rd and Macarthur St.
Bruce and I used to share Charter work and other activities.
When Bruce sold out to Moore's he went to Shoalhaven Heads and took with him a 1938 Oldsmobile which I had owned, it was in Riverstone Bus Co yard for many years. Originally from Helensburgh Bus Co. GM
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I've re-attached the photos to this post. If anyone would like any other posts I've made in the past corrected where the images have been lost, please bring the thread up and I will do. Cheers !
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
smalfalfa

Post by smalfalfa »

Anyone know what ever happened to BW003 in the photo of East Parramatta Bus Co.?
GM

Post by GM »

BW 003 was a Mercedes CCMC which I think went to Baxter's rego number unknown. GM
smalfalfa

Post by smalfalfa »

The one I am talking about in the photo is the Bedford VAM
GM

Post by GM »

Sorry, the Bedford VAM came from Max Holman at Sutherland, Superior Body, 4 Cyl UD Motor.
From memory traded to Gilberts on Mercedes c1980, nearly 30 years ago. Destination unknown. GM
smalfalfa

Post by smalfalfa »

GM thanks for the info. I have many memories of it
VIKing

Post by VIKing »

The Bedford-UD / Superior was traded 09/82 to Gilberts on the new Mercedes Benz 1617 / CC. The Bedford was resold 11/82 to Col Devenish at Blayney and was registered MO9318. It was traded by 07/84 to Western Toyota, Guildford on a new Hino (MO9318). Lost track of the Bedford after that.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”