Front page photograph

News and comments about this board.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Front page photograph

Post by Fleet Lists »

Out of the over 100 pictures I have lined up I think there is only 1 Canberra one and it has been used before in the fleet lists so I could certainly do with some more Canberra ones.
Living in the Shire.
Lemon
Favourite Vehicle: Reno PR100.3 (107/108/990/991)

Post by Lemon »

You can use some pics that are on my fotopic (which is linked in my signiture) or possibly from the ACT Bus Gallery (ask Ryan first) and msome of the other sites linked from this page ie. Todd's Flickr, Carrie's fotopic or even the Ratec site which has some really good pics of older models that are no longer in the ACTION fleet.

Note- RATEC comes under ACT Retired.......
Please ask site owners permission before using pics
One of the last member of the General public to set foot in Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009
"Even if it's free, I'm not buying it"_'Irisbus Rider'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacmathes
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Now that this has settled own a bit, I have over the past few weeks built the number of pictures up on the server for selection up tp 50 and then each Saturday load up another 7 to bring it back up to 50.

Some useless statistics for the most recent 77 photos which have been shown:-
Average number of days before a photo is shown after being uploaded: 16.81.
Maximum number of days before a photo was shown: 64 days.
Two photos managed to get up the very first day after being uplaoded.

The maximum number will increase as there is at least one photo on the server which has been waiting for more than 64 days.

I have an excel file which calculates these figures as soon as another photo is shown.

In the selection process I am trying to select photos from states other than NSW but NSW still predominates. And hopefully a few newer photos will also get selected.
I still have a considerable number of older ones, mainly from the Leon Batman collction, ready for upload but will give priority to any newer ones which can be used.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

This has now been going for 6 months with quite a variety of photos having been shown with NSW still in the majorty.

Since I started I have gained access to some of the old Bus Australia galleries which have supplied some of the photos, while the orphaned attachments have also supplied a number of photos usually giving me more recent ones.

My thanks go to Denair who has allowed me to use any of his photos.

And also Batman - I have used a number of his photos and one week the software selected four of his but I have since ensured that there will not be as many in the one week but I will continue to use them.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Another major chnage has just been made which would at this point in time be transparent to users.

Instead of the photos being selected from the 50 photos which I have uploaded specially for this purpose, the daily photo will now be selected from ALL photos in the Bus Australia gallery as well as most photos which are linked to in other places from the Older Pictures page. Some photos such as the interior of buses and others which are considered unsuitable as well as one which have been used in the past will be excluded from the selection process.

So the first change should be noticed tomorrow when a totally unknown photo will be selected.

For more information on the Gallery see http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 48&t=44373
Living in the Shire.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Does that include the low quality phone camera pics or poorly taken photos?
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Where appropriate low quality photos will be excluded but someone needs to decide which ones should and should not be excluded - that is often a matter of opinion.
Living in the Shire.
Lemon
Favourite Vehicle: Reno PR100.3 (107/108/990/991)

Post by Lemon »

Every day since the introduction of this new system the picture has been of an ex ACTION bus. Is there a reason behind this or is it just coincidence.
One of the last member of the General public to set foot in Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009
"Even if it's free, I'm not buying it"_'Irisbus Rider'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacmathes
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As far as I can see not an ex ACTION bus has been used during the past week since it was introduced.

I have been a bit disappointed myself that all 7 photos selected so far have been from New South Wales with the first six all from operators who have recently had others used - hopefully that will change but I have no control over the random process.

Photos used from Nowra Coaches, Premier Illawarra, Fearnes Wagga, Hopkinsons, Mosman Coaches and today Moores Tours.

Have you been looking at a cached page? If so try a refresh.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is now just about one year since we started showing a different photo every day.

As time has gone on the selection criteria has changed somewhat in that now only photos from the Bus Australia Gallery are used and there is no other input to it. So the selection is now from about 1700 photos.

Out of the 360 odd days, 9 photos have been used twice and 1 has even been used three times. Does anyone hazzard a guess as what photo that is?

The first duplication happened on day 225 when a Hawkesbury Valley bus photo was used and it had been used only 5 days previously.

On the other hand Toronto TV 2277 which appeared a few days ago (day 356), first appeared on day 34 before we had the selection from the gallery in place. I am not counting as a duplication that a photo of this coach with Chartherplus has also appeared.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is now 600 days since I started keeping records of the daily photos - during that time 541 different photos have graced the home page.
490 of those have appeared once, 43 twice and 8 three times.

And the photo of TV 2277 which appeared on days 34 and 356 as mentioned in my previous post, was one of the photos lost in the move to the new server some months ago. It was the one in Toromto livery. We do stil have two photos of it in CDC livery, both of which have also made it on one occasion.
Living in the Shire.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Feel free to use any of the all perth photos on my flickr, there are over 2500 shots there!
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I will keep that in mind -rememebr just because a photo is added to the gallery, there is no guarantee that it will be used as a home page photo - it is a daily random selection out of the 2 and a half thousand photos we already have up there plus any we add.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Unfortunately while I was on holidays late November/early December as most users would know all (or nearly all) photos entered since we moved to the new server in March/April this year have been lost.

So far I have deleted the monthly galleries for March to November this year, in the process deleting all photo defintions which were part of those galleries. Many photos which were added to other galleries still have the definitions present in the gallery but NOT the photos themeselves so these definitions will need to be deleted one by one which is going to be a slow process.

As a result of this catastrophy I have decided that I will no longer add any photos to the gallery and leave it as is. Anyone else is still welcome to add photos if registered as a member or if not registered subject to approval by a gallery admin of whom I am still one.

Starngely some photos added by a visitor on 3rd November were not lost - I have no explanation for this.

The selection of Bus Australia home page photos is not effected by this as the software used only uses photos which are known to be still there.

My apologies to anyone who may be effected by this.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Regarding those photos from 3rd November - I have had to delete them as well as they were causing another problem.

So far I am not able to delete the definitions of photos which were uploaded by other registered members and which are no longer there.
Living in the Shire.
nbus
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Post by nbus »

Can we all sack KEN now please. This is not the first time his done something.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

nbus wrote:Can we all sack KEN now please. This is not the first time his done something.
Considering this is a forum that Ken created, I think you'll find it almost impossible to be able to do that unless he wanted to himself! :roll:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And then who would take it over? Not me - I am getting too old for that.
Living in the Shire.
moto51
Favourite Vehicle: Coach Design MAN 24.420 14.5m

Front page photograph

Post by moto51 »

Would we be able to implement a feature where a bus in the fleet lists has a link to an image or 2 of that bus? Can't be too hard to do, the initial setup might be but i'd be willing to lend a hand to do so.
Explain your reasoning for putting the slowest, worst bus on the longest route. Surely it'd be more efficient to have a newer one. Where's my 8 speed M.A.N?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As I have retired from the fleet lists aspect of this, that would now be up to Hornibrook if he would like to do that. Working out what the various links are would be the main thing to work out.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have now deleted all photos uploaded since April this year by myself as far as I can see.
There are still 42 from MAN 16.242 and 27 from Vitalstatistix which have disappeared but stil contain details but overall I still have 73 photos which have problems so there must be still be another 4 which have not been identified so far.
Living in the Shire.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

moto51 wrote:Would we be able to implement a feature where a bus in the fleet lists has a link to an image or 2 of that bus? Can't be too hard to do, the initial setup might be but i'd be willing to lend a hand to do so.
Easily enough done, all you'd need to do is assign every bus in the database a key, and then label the file name in the directory where the photos are stored the same key, so we can use a piece of code to say if xxx.jpg exists then display a link to a photo, should one exist!
Sleep a lot

Post by Sleep a lot »

nbus wrote:Can we all sack KEN now please. This is not the first time his done something.
Well if your happy to take over running the site then go ahead try and get him to give control to you, otherwise how about we just accepted people make mistakes, no ones perfect, we should be thankful to the ones who run/help run this site.
Sleep a lot

Post by Sleep a lot »

Hornibrook wrote:
moto51 wrote:Would we be able to implement a feature where a bus in the fleet lists has a link to an image or 2 of that bus? Can't be too hard to do, the initial setup might be but i'd be willing to lend a hand to do so.
Easily enough done, all you'd need to do is assign every bus in the database a key, and then label the file name in the directory where the photos are stored the same key, so we can use a piece of code to say if xxx.jpg exists then display a link to a photo, should one exist!
So would you consider doing this in future maybe.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:I have now deleted all photos uploaded since April this year by myself as far as I can see.
There are still 42 from MAN 16.242 and 27 from Vitalstatistix which have disappeared but stil contain details but overall I still have 73 photos which have problems so there must be still be another 4 which have not been identified so far.
I have now resolved all that and unfortunately all photos uploaded since March have now gone for ever.

And as I have said I will not be continuing to upload any more.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “News & Administration”