Yet another Merlin motorhome

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
SMS88AEC
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Merlin MO 7291

Yet another Merlin motorhome

Post by SMS88AEC »

With grateful thanks to Dave (Herbert) for telling me about ex Shave of Melbourne AKT675 ex London Transport MB192 sold on ebay last week for $10,500 by a seller in Boronia.Pictures from ebay......note original plates still fitted to this bus now for over 30 years, and the flat windscreen with (unique to a Merlin?) symetrical wiper fitment..........wonderful to see a seller who can take decent photos and folks who have had a Merlin for 20 years and still get to see the original London Transport ceiling with transfers still in place :D
Pictures with thanks to ebay and the seller of the bus
DarrenH

Re: Yet another Merlin motorhome

Post by DarrenH »

What a nice cozy Merlin camper! The interior conversion looks good with a handy layout except the oven which has been put behind the bed right up the back of the bus but is good for a midnight snack though. :lol:
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I like how they haven't butchered the Merlin Swift to death ,even leaving original decals inside!
This looks to be possibly the shorter 505 model judging by the steering wheel.
Gee ,for 10,500 I wouldn't have minded this.Was it a goer and was it registered or not?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

Swift 584 wrote:I like how they haven't butchered the Merlin Swift to death ,even leaving original decals inside!
This looks to be possibly the shorter 505 model judging by the steering wheel.
Gee ,for 10,500 I wouldn't have minded this.Was it a goer and was it registered or not?
The steering wheels on all the London Transport built examples were the same - this design, with a plain stainless & black centre cap.Yes it is a goer and is registered,and is 100% certainly former London Transport MB192, a 36 footer.....
Swift

Post by Swift »

What a loss.It could have easily been reconverted back to a bus.It even has it's center doors and none of the wondows have been filled in either.

I would have probably left it as a motorhome nad painted the exterior up as it originally looked.The flat windscreen ,on the driver's side at least,is reminiscent of a Strachan bodied Merlin.Yeah,I could have had alot of fun with this.
ross johnson

Post by ross johnson »

ANYONE GOT A SPARE LONDON DESTO ROLL....Would really set off the look of this vehicle!!
rOjO43
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

ross johnson wrote:ANYONE GOT A SPARE LONDON DESTO ROLL....Would really set off the look of this vehicle!!
Is this your bus now? genuine London desto rolls fetch £50-£150 these days on ebay if in good shape and interesting routes..........

Here is the link to the auction - perhaps a good offer to the buyer or an enquiry to the seller will reveal the current status of the bus - externally easy to restore and would look smart as either a London Transport Red Arrow or perhaps in its 2nd owner Deanes livery........

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... otohosting
Here is how MB192 looked when new in service in September 1968, although the bus in the pic ran for Rowes, then passed to Kirklands and was still in use on a school contract near Byron Bay with Winchesters in 1993
http://paul.bateson.fotopic.net/p38698033.html
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's ex Deanes??Oh man!!

One question though,how would you get to the engine with that double bed in the way?
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

Swift 584 wrote:It's ex Deanes??Oh man!!

One question though,how would you get to the engine with that double bed in the way?
It was Mo 5479 with Deanes from 1976 until sold on to Shave of Melbourne in 1978
Lift up the mattress and I am sure the engine & gearbox floor traps still open - you know you want it - trace the buyer through his ebay name - he maybe a dealer- and grab this one for yourself :idea:

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”