RFW thread 2

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Matt_L

RFW thread 2

Post by Matt_L »

As there are already 10 photos in the other RFW thread, I'm posting my photo in a new thread. This one was taken on a sunny afternoon at the old Golden Fleece roadhouse in Bacchus Marsh, I think it was around 1989 but could have been a few years either side of that.

Still partially in old Ansett Pioneer livery, I do recall how awesome and solid this fine coach looked. Does anyone know what happened to Admiral Roadliners, and where they were from?

Cheers - Matt
RFW1.jpg
Sahara53
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Re: RFW thread 2

Post by Sahara53 »

Hi Matt, I did a little bit of driving for the 'Admiral'. Stan who owned the operation ran the RFW and another smaller coach that looked like the Duples that were run by Quest Tours. I don't anything about that unit but the RFW provided some interesting runs. I met up with Stan in Swan Hill one evening having been taken from Adelaide and meant to meet in Dimboola for me to take her back to Adelaide. Unfortunately we found Stan and RFW in a very sad state with an alternator in bits. We eventually managed to get mobile and I limped the poor thing with only park lights all the way to Ouyen and of course it would be a dark night with no moonlight to help. That was one tiring trip I have to say but a fond memory anyway. Stan did advertise the business perhaps 5 or 6 years ago and I understand that there no takers so the Admiral name has disappeared from our Adelaide roads I'm afraid. A bit sad like many others - the passengers used to have a chuckle at the big long legged Stan jump out of the seat to occupied by my vertically challenged frame. Anyway that's the little that I know.
Cheers for now
Sahara53
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Post by Sahara53 »

Whilst going through some old photos I stumbled on this one of Admiral Roadliner RFW taken somewhere in the Victorian snow country. I did the co-drive with Stan (sorry about the ugly standing in front of terrific unit).
Attachments
Admiral Roadliner RFW
Admiral Roadliner RFW
Admiral Roadliner RFW.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Car177

Post by Car177 »

This is the RFW rebodied by Stewart & Sons of Bundaberg, Qld, the original body had been burned out, S&S built this coach up at very low coast, this did not diminish its construction in any way as it was built like a tank.
A handbrake lever of a mini minor operated the cable for the engine shut down, the drivers seat was out of a car, a three point likeake from a tractor fitted with a town ball was the door opening mechanism, the vandal proof air conditioning vents were squares of acyrilic with holes cut by a hole saw, insect screen mesh covered the holes.
It ended up as a caravan on the Qld North Coast.
Attachments
307523 S&S-5 RFW Redcliffe 19900909.jpg
307523 S&S-5 RFW Redcliffe 19900909.jpg (159.17 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Car177

Post by Car177 »

This the RFW that belonged to Jack's of Longford, it is now a caravan, parked generally on a property on the way to Beaconsfield.
Attachments
317307 Jack's,Longford  BC6550 RFW  L'ton 20050511.jpg
317307 Jack's,Longford BC6550 RFW L'ton 20050511.jpg (185.94 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”