Your best airliner photo.

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Brendan03
Favourite Vehicle: Not an S set.

Re: Your best airliner photo.

Post by Brendan03 »

Norbert wrote:"Goldie Coast" touching down onto Rwy 07 at 8.25pm. Handheld 400 ISO, 1/20 at f4.5. Virgin Blue Boeing 737-8FE.
A++++!!1 Truely excellent Pan there... Brilliant timing, lighting etc.

Anyway, I assume that's taken at the new observation deck at Sydney Intl Terminal?
I'm supprised it doesn't have that AIRLINERS.NET watermark I've come to expect on any nice image at said website on it.

Keep up the good work, Mr Genci.
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

That is an awesome photo Norbert and the effect is wonderful.

Thanks for posting.
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Industry

Post by Industry »

I think it may have been taken for the Hertiage Centre in Terminal 1, maybe Norbet will advise accordingly.
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Although the quality isn't that crash hot, I think that these are 2 of my best, mainly due to the occasion. The A380 touching down for the first time in Australia at Brisbane.
Is that the truth or did you read about it in a Rail Back on Track media release?
skystar320
Favourite Vehicle: PMC160 + Orana Body

Post by skystar320 »

i videoed a my recent landing from seat 1F
Slightly off topic but people may want a squizzy??? :?: :?:
My first landing video..........

Regards
Greg

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVp86Do7jho&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVp86Do7jho&hl ... 0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Welcome Aboard
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

Andrew21 wrote:Although the quality isn't that crash hot, I think that these are 2 of my best, mainly due to the occasion. The A380 touching down for the first time in Australia at Brisbane.

Personally, I find the JAL Reso'cha 747-300 more impressive than the A380... I like the A380 but the 743 steals that scene in my oppinion.

Skystar320: Gotta love the Runway 27 Approach in over Epping, Due to the shorter runway, It's always fun feeling them using a higher autobrake setting, especially in 767 or larger

I just got back from Bali on Saturday and flew Jetstar for the first time, I've got a bunch of photos and a few videos from the trip I plan to upload eventually

at 1:20 into the video, You can hear the pilot disabling the Autothrottle, I got the same noise from 4A coming into Bali, However the video quality is poor due to the bad focus on my camera.

I'll share the video, If anyone wants a look, Feel free - A320 Departure out of RW27, Watergardens Shopping Centre and Calder Park raceway is visible after take off.
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
skystar320

Post by skystar320 »

yeah it was a very 'hard' break and were on the taxi way so quick! it was hard to hold the camera!!!!!!
And sounded like we had a flat tire???????
is that the runway surface or maybe the Aircraft?

Greg

p.s love your video!!!
Welcome Aboard
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

skystar320 wrote:yeah it was a very 'hard' break and were on the taxi way so quick! it was hard to hold the camera!!!!!!
And sounded like we had a flat tire???????
is that the runway surface or maybe the Aircraft?

Greg

p.s love your video!!!
Because Runway 27 is alot shorter (though, apparently still quite long) You get alot harder braking, Pilots will use a higher autobrake setting than on a longer runway, for example and the taxiway exits off of Runway 27 once you cross the RW16/34 intersection are angled diagonally so you can exit the runway at a higher speed, unlike a 90º Intersection where you have to slow right down to turn onto.

In regards to the 'Flat Tire' that's just poor quality paving, just like most driveways or concrete paved areas, They're down in large squares and the gaps/edges between squares can be quite harsh -- Unfortunatly, In this day and age (It can be seen with Tram lines as well) - Quick set concrete or Ashphelt is used which isn't as high quality and degrades quickly leaving you with the horrible thuds you get... I imagine it could come down to the plane as well but I don't know much of plane 'suspension' - I saw a video today of a Lufthansa A340-600 landing at Frankfurt and the runway quality there is appalling, too

As for my video, Thanks :)

Brendan
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

A few more from my camera, taken at Mascot this afternoon. :) Unfortunatly the chainwire fence and the size of camera prevents me getting more of the aircraft into the photo in a lot of caces. :(

A Cathay Pacific A330 has just lifted off Runway 34L on Flight CX100 to Hong Kong.
Cathay A330.jpg
British Airways Boeing 777 G-YMMI lifting off on Runway 34L on Flight BA16 to Singapore and London.
BA 777.jpg
Thai Arways Boeing 777 HS-TJT on Flight TJ996 to Bangkok soars into tha air at Mascot.
Thai 777.jpg
Last edited by Rail Bus on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

Rail Bus wrote:A few more from my camera, taken at Mascot this afternoon. :) Unfortunatly the chainwire fence and the size of camera prevents me getting more of the aircraft into the photo in a lot of caces. :(
Ahh! My favorite spot, Not so much for photography, but just to relax and enjoy an afternoon breeze off the water and watch the jets and smell the Avgas. Beautiful location that. A real bitch to get to without a car though.

Nice shot of the 777 -- Still perplexes me the concept of a BA 777 being that far from home... :)

P.S I think there's something wrong with that A340 ;)
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thankyou ALL so much for your fantastic replies. That Virgin photo from Norbert is superb.

You might find the problem with that Cathay plane (also with an alarmingly nose-high attitude) is short of two engines and auxiliary landing gear if it really is an A340. I'd call it an A330 myself, but I am a sensationalist and history has proven I can really be a wanker.

Here is two videos I made a year or so ago. Unfortunately, some of the photos have lost quality in the video for whatever reason!
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/bN5Ft ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/bN5Ft ... b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]
And I got creative with the picture timing relative to the song!! Ahhh, I long for those days when I gave an FF.
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SrP8r ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SrP8r ... b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Daz

EDIT: And a third one I forgot about. Not neccesarily photographic of nature, but interesting anyway. Shot with my old Nokia 6610 Navigator. Brian, the old dude with no hair, taught me how to fly and the gok, Luis, in the pilot seat is a golf buddy who now works at Airservices Australia running an airplane simulator for training ATC's. Note Paul, the fuel guy from AirBP, trying to get in the shot. And yes I did go 'Wooh' and nearly XXX myself when it started.

PS, please turn your sound right up so you can hear the voices:
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/S6MWd ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/S6MWd ... b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Last edited by Stan on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

Stan wrote:Thankyou ALL so much for your fantastic replies. That Virgin photo from Norbert is superb.

You might find the problem with that Cathay plane (also with an alarmingly nose-high attitude) is short of two engines and auxiliary landing gear if it really is an A340. I'd call it an A330 myself, but I am a sensationalist and history has proven I can really be a wanker.
I dunno if they do it now but Cathay used to have an A340-300 timetabled into Sydney on certain days of the week instead of the A330... My knowledge of the more minute details between Airbus models isn't too great but I think the main differences between the A330-300 and the A340-300 most obviously as stated are the extra gear but I think that's there because or more/larger centre fuel tanks giving the aircraft it's longer range (and the main reasons for the extra engines were to free the aircraft of ETOPS restrictions, Even though the extra engines didn't give a massive increase in thrust over the A330, due to the fact you've got 4 CFM56's which aren't high rated power plantes, compared to the 2x PW4000, Trent 772s or GE CF6's (A340 is rated at a total (avg) of around 580kN compared to a total of 610kN on the A330) -- So the calculations I've just done... as a rough average, Ofcourse there's different varients of the CFM56 the A340 use, which can go upto 151kN per engine, and the A330 can go upto 320kN per engine -- So the ranges are very close at some points, but the general consensus is that the A340 doesn't have as much extra power but is marginally heavier which is probably what earns them the reputation of "Only being able to become airborn because of the curvature in the earth"

Draw your own conclusions but as far as I'm concerned, A330's are very nice aircraft, having travelled most of my international flights on them
Stan

Post by Stan »

VERY similar airframe (A330-300 v A340-300), but major differences are that the A340 can hold an extra 100pax in single class, can take an extra 46,000,000g (46t :lol: ) and take it an extra 1,800nm. The latest A340-600HGW is heaps powerfuller. It's an 300 series +12m length, +3.2m wingspan, +nearly 100t extra MTOW, +400nm range, +60,000L fuel, and owns a proud family of Rolls Royce Trent 560 260kN super hi-bypass turbofans (my personal favourite for their no-nonsense high angle-of-attack fan blades producing that lovely chewing, grinding, crunching sound).

The fact of the matter is that the A340 is inherently cooler because it's louder and sounds nicer, has more wheels and more engines so there :!:

Daz.
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

Stan wrote:VERY similar airframe (A330-300 v A340-300), but major differences are that the A340 can hold an extra 100pax in single class, can take an extra 46,000,000g (46t :lol: ) and take it an extra 1,800nm. The latest A340-600HGW is heaps powerfuller. It's an 300 series +12m length, +3.2m wingspan, +nearly 100t extra MTOW, +400nm range, +60,000L fuel, and owns a proud family of Rolls Royce Trent 560 260kN super hi-bypass turbofans (my personal favourite for their no-nonsense high angle-of-attack fan blades producing that lovely chewing, grinding, crunching sound).

The fact of the matter is that the A340 is inherently cooler because it's louder and sounds nicer, has more wheels and more engines so there :!:

Daz.

Well, For a similar airliner, The A340 has a claim-to-fame of being quieter than the 777 because of the lower spool ratio's needed to put out the same power to weight as the 777
Furthermore, I don't recall if it's the A330 or the A340 but Airbus recently released a -300E series which iirc, has a higher MTOW, Slightly higher powered powerplants onboard and has some all around minor updates to make it an updated product, I'd like to say it was a interim product to sell until the A350 comes about but I think it was before that... Anyway -- I believe Finnar got some
Stan

Post by Stan »

Yeah mate, A330-300E. Beh, I love 'em both and can wait for the Dreamliner/A350 war to begin!!

Cheers!
Daz
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

After checking myself on what I said, The Cathay Pacific Timetable suggests that to East Coast cities in Aus, The A343 only flies to Brisbane now a few times a week as CX157
Norbert

Post by Norbert »

Brendan03 wrote:
Norbert wrote:"Goldie Coast" touching down onto Rwy 07 at 8.25pm. Handheld 400 ISO, 1/20 at f4.5. Virgin Blue Boeing 737-8FE.
A++++!!1 Truely excellent Pan there... Brilliant timing, lighting etc.

Anyway, I assume that's taken at the new observation deck at Sydney Intl Terminal?
I'm supprised it doesn't have that AIRLINERS.NET watermark I've come to expect on any nice image at said website on it.

Keep up the good work, Mr Genci.
Thank you for the comments everyone. Taken through the fence as it landed on rwy 07 (what they call the east-west runway) at the fence where the aircraft are towed to to make room at the terminals, where the M5 starts.
Goodbye 3447: 11/93 - 3/09
TransdevTSL: 3, 13, 17, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 31, 33, 72, 75, 76, 77, 78, 86, 100, 101, 103, 110, 111
skystar320

Post by skystar320 »

Stan wrote:Yeah mate, A330-300E. Beh, I love 'em both and can wait for the Dreamliner/A350 war to begin!!

Cheers!
Daz
Dreamliner, or Dudliner???????????
Welcome Aboard
TV600_Denning
Favourite Vehicle: There's a lot.

Post by TV600_Denning »

Don't suppose anyone would have a photo of Australian Airline boeing 727?

In 1988 we flew to Adelaide for the GP, on the way we flew on a just released Airbus and stopped over in Melbourne, on the way home we flew straight back on the 727.
Rail Bus

Post by Rail Bus »

Brendan03 wrote:P.S I think there's something wrong with that A340 ;)
Yeah, after indepth studies and a check of Cathay Pacific A330 pics on Airliners.net, it appears I was misconcieved about it being an A340. :oops: I have now rectified that. :)

Perhaps I was just wishing that it was an A340, and that I was on it. :D
ekoja
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Mustang Laguna Sega

Post by ekoja »

What happens to old Classis's
They become the ultimate firebomber
Accipe Hoc
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

Norbert wrote:Thank you for the comments everyone. Taken through the fence as it landed on rwy 07 (what they call the east-west runway) at the fence where the aircraft are towed to to make room at the terminals, where the M5 starts.
Oh ofcourse, I just saw the Qantas at the terminal in the background and figured it'd been taken of a plane landing on 16R with the background building being T3 (QF Domestic) - I think I've only once used 07 to Land on... I hadn't done it before so I lost my bearings on approach
mddawson
Favourite Vehicle: Lamborghini Muria

Post by mddawson »

These show the cockpit of a Qantas 707 in 1970. Photos taken by my father returning from Vietnam.
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
Rail Bus

Post by Rail Bus »

Brendan03 wrote:Well, For a similar airliner, The A340 has a claim-to-fame of being quieter than the 777
On this point I agree. I flew Emirates for the first time on my NZ trip last year, having an A340 to Christchurch on the forward journey, and a Boeing 777 from Auckland back to Sydney on my return. I found the A340 quiter and nicer overall, than the 777. I remember driving a bus to the Airport around 2 years ago nwith a Lauda Aircrew aboard, and slowing a little along Qantas Dr to watch a Boeing 747 take-off, quietly commenting that they were my favourite aircraft. A Pilot on my bus claimed that the 777 was better. :O This came as quite a surprise as I would've thought taht a 747-400 would be a very nice aircraft to fly... :) Meanwhile, and on the subject of 747's, I snapped this view of an Atlas Air 747 launching into the air above Sydney's General Holmes Dr. Perhaps I took this a moment too soon, but considering where I was standing, I couldn't see the plane coming until too late to focus the camera, so IMHO, not a bad effort. :)
DSCF0374.jpg
ptlivestock

Post by ptlivestock »

Not in Australia, not an Australian airline, but definitely built there, and spooky as hell landing in a cross wind.
PT

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”