Magnetic Island Bus Service.

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Hornibrook

Magnetic Island Bus Service.

Post by Hornibrook »

Hi.

This picture isn't mine (obviously) but was emailed to me today, from Jan at Magnetic Island Bus Service. I must say this is one awesome vehicle! Nicknamed "Big Ben", it is currently #25 in the fleet with a body date of 07/2008.
ALBION1881

Re: Magnetic Island Bus Service.

Post by ALBION1881 »

I wonder if any of the old ex sta leyland leopards are are still on Magnetic Island there were a few of them and I bet big ben be welcome change in passenger comfort being in a tropical climate there is quite a few of these dennings getting about nice shot of big ben.
C130

Post by C130 »

"Big Ben" looks really good. I think the roll adds caracter to this nice bus. Is it just me, or are there headlight protectors on this bus aswell?
Bidgee
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7R and MAN SL202

Post by Bidgee »

Looks like headlight protectors to me.
STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Post by STA 1440 »

Either way, she looks pretty damn good to me! 8) :D
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

Nice bus but it would of looked better if it had an electronic desto display fitted instead of a desto roll IMO.
Desto Dave
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster, Tigers.

Post by Desto Dave »

Nice looking bus. Bit sad being in the Magnetic Island fleet, it has no 'trademark' open air windows like vehicles of the past on Maggie! :P
I'm guessing modern regulations have buggered that??

I dobut that an electronic desto would ever be neccessary here as not much ever changes to the route! Even though, yes , they may look more attractive. Destos are only a fairly recent thing here since the ferry terminal got shifted to Nelly Bay and buses now run either direction from the terminal. Where as before the ferry terminal was at one end of the island and you knew where the bus was going, the same place most trips, the other end of the island, Horseshoe Bay!
michael91
Favourite Vehicle: SB50 Mercedes OH1421

Post by michael91 »

"Big Ben" is a lovely vehicle. What lets it down is the internal seating layout, being in the Magnetic Island Fleet, it gets a lot of backpackers etc. Most of the time there is always people standing in the aisles. I've had a few chats with some of the drivers, and they've said it's too small. Lovely to drive, but definitely too small. I'll have to get some more of the MI fleet posted here :) There is still an old blue Leyland Leopard (i think) not sure if it's a leopard, but it's an automatic with three gears. Only sounds like it has two, but it has three :P
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Magnetic Island might benefit from getting a double decker or a articulated bus if they are having big crowds on the buses during tourist season if Big Ben has not the carrying capacity to cope with big crowds.
michael91
Favourite Vehicle: SB50 Mercedes OH1421

Post by michael91 »

This is true, however the idea gets scrapped because the roads that the buses have to travel on aren't wide enough for a double decker and another vehicle to pass eachother without connecting. There's a SB50 Merc in the fleet which does the job perfectly with enough seats etc.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”