Cresswells Coaches #1

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Cresswells Coaches #1

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

I was talking to John & Carol Cresswell the yesterday, mentioned this forum and asked if they had any photos from the old days. After quickly bringing out an album, I asked permisssion to post on this site. They were happy to allow me to show some of their history, from the early days of JACK CRESSWELL, the brother of Merv(Ace Coaches). Although Ace has since gone, Cresswells is survived by JOHN, and a small fleet of well turned out coaches/buses. After a short discussion, I discovered John is also buying ANOTHER newer bus from Victoria next weekend, which will then allow the "retirement" of the ex MTT#67 B58 Volvo (sorry metro_tas). Because there are quite a few pictures that John & Carol supplied me, I will distribute them over a few threads in the next week or so. I don't have John sitting alongside me at the moment, so some of the details of bus types may?? be incorrect, as I was in service when I stopped and talked to them, so may have forgotten some of the details. Any CONSTRUCTIVE comments gladly welcomed. ENJOY!!
Some pictures may have reflections on them. because they were STUCK in the album, I was unable to remove for a better scan. My apologies.
Unknown bus outside the family home in West Hobart (presumably a FORD)
#8 V8 Ford - John mentioned a couple of bodies were built by Jack himself. Not sure which ones)
#10 V8 Ford - Looks similar to #8 but shorter (1 less window)

CAC SB Bedford
Weren't these an early Ansair body ??? SB Bedford anyway.
#7 VAM Bedford
#9 (I think) Ansair bodied Ford
beddy
Favourite Vehicle: Thomas Tours No.7 (Mine)

Re: Cresswells Coaches #1

Post by beddy »

The SB Bedford Was Bodied By Frieghter. Excellent Photos
Never Fear, Bedford's Are Here!
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Gee, it's great to see shots "From Fleet Owners Albums".

You are right about numbers 8 & 10, both have Cresswell bodies however, both started out life looking a bit different. They were originally NC and were modified to FC in 1963. Here is a Bruce Tilley picture (from The John Masterton Collection) which shows number 7, with the original Cresswell body (not unlike the Ansair style), which was NOT so converted:

Thanks for posting.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

system improver wrote:Gee, it's great to see shots "From Fleet Owners Albums".

You are right about numbers 8 & 10, both have Cresswell bodies however, both started out life looking a bit different. They were originally NC and were modified to FC in 1963. Here is a Bruce Tilley picture (from The John Masterton Collection) which shows number 7, with the original Cresswell body (not unlike the Ansair style), which was NOT so converted:

Thanks for posting.
Yeh! I have posted that picture on a previous thread of mine. John said this was one of the ones they converted.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Yes, having looked back, it is the same photo although the one you posted was in colour. I dare say Bruce provided copies to a number of people. According to my notes, it was taken on 27/9/68.
DENAIR
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING DENAIR

Post by DENAIR »

# 7 Vam ia also an Ansair body
cheers denair
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Thanks for posting Neil, very interesting they had couple of Frieghter SB'S if my memory is correct , one a earlier model to the one pictured (or was that Merve).The Creswell boys certainly had/have a very well presented fleet, it was always a pleasure to travel on thier coaches.

Steve
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

stevegj52 wrote:Thanks for posting Neil, very interesting they had couple of Frieghter SB'S if my memory is correct , one a earlier model to the one pictured (or was that Merve).The Creswell boys certainly had/have a very well presented fleet, it was always a pleasure to travel on thier coaches.

Steve
I'll check. I know Merv had one.
jamie ikin
Favourite Vehicle: mercedes0303

Post by jamie ikin »

can you sent the to me two please

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”