Riverton Bus Service. (MTT took over 14.05.1961.)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Carlisle 8
Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Riverton Bus Service. (MTT took over 14.05.1961.)

Post by Carlisle 8 »

I first became familiar with the Riverton fleet in the 1950s, when I was attending Kent Street High School. Each afternoon, I would see half of the fleet, there to take students home to Riverton. Half of the fleet = two buses!

The Riverton Bus Service had a depot just over the Riverton Bridge, alongside a service station. I was informed that the two shared the same ownership.

Back in the fifties, the post war population explosion was on and RBS was formed to transport the citizens of the (then) outer suburb of Riverton. I read at the time that RBS was given State Government financial assistance, to help it buy bus 4. There was no negative comment about it at the time, nor should there have been. It was a case of the Government assisting an operator to provide an essential public service. In fact, had Riverton not been able to provide the service, the over-stretched W.A. Government Tramways would probably have had to provide the service. After all of this time, I can't recall the details of the financial assistance. Possibly a loan, or a loan guarantee.

The MTT initially had Metro as its basis and it then rapidly took on the "basket case" operators, before they went broke. It subsequently added the W.A.Government Tramways, as another large and viable operator, then progressively added more small operators. I perceive it as a tribute to the RBS as a viable and well run operation, that it was the third last operator to be taken over, followed by the well respected North Beach and Scarborough companies.

Riverton had a diverse, although small, fleet. Each of the first 5 buses was from a different manufacturer! It eventually settled on Worldmasters.

As mentioned before, the purpose of RBS was to serve Riverton. Although it travelled via Carlisle Bus Service territory after leaving Perth, it was not permitted to pick up or set down along the Carlisle route. It travelled along Berwick Street and it was pure joy to listen to Worldmasters charging along the street!

Now for some photographs.

Riverton 1, MTT 37, Morris Commercial at Causeway Depot, 1961. RBS having been taken over on 14.05.1961, 1 was still operating in the Riverton livery, but with its MTT fleet number.

Riverton 4, MTT 455, Daimler Freeline, standing at a terminus in Murray Street, Perth, outside the Bedford Arms Hotel. This much later photo was taken on 20.11.1970.

4 was bodied by MBB, the body builder owned by Scarborough Bus Service and was similar in appearance to some of the SBS Freelines. However, the front differed and 4 is instantly recognisable as herself. After SBS was taken over by the MTT, its Freelines were given fleet numbers adjacent to that of 4, commencing at 456.

North Beach and Scarborough Bus Services had their city termini in Murray Street. The MTT continued to use them, until the advent of the Perth Central (City?) Bus Station and the "one waying" of William Street. Buses went left William, left Wellington.

Riverton 5, MTT 31, Worldmaster, Causeway Depot.

This was Riverton's first Worldmaster and was the only Comeng "Fleet Line" bus in the MTT fleet. It originally had the Fleet Line grille, but its front was re-built after a "prang". As pictured here, it had no front grille. Note how the front is cut away in front of the step, probably to assist with ventilation for the engine. I suspect that that didn't provide enough air, because you will see in my next shot, that the standard MTT grille had been fitted.

Note what I consider to be the very attractive Comeng passenger windows. They, too, were subsequently replaced by the MTT.

Taste is a very subjective thing, but I really liked the appearance of 31 as above. In my opinion, it was just another bus in appearance, in the next shot.

There is a certain Board Member who loved 31.

Note the trolley bus poles at the left of the shot. Behind 31 is one of Carlisle 8's beloved full fronted Tramways AEC Regal IIIs.

This much later shot was taken in Basinghall Street, Victoria Park, on 12.03.1978.

Riverton 6, MTT 43, International, Redcliffe Depot.

Riverton 7, MTT 32, Worldmaster/Howard Porter, Causeway Depot, 1961.

Riverton 9, MTT 34, Worldmaster/Howard Porter, Causeway Depot, C1962.

The good news is that it is currently undergoing VERY active major renovations, by a very competent and enthusiastic owner.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Riverton Bus Service. (MTT took over 14.05.1961.)

Post by system improver »

Fantastic pics!!

The front of 455 looks very much like the Freighter Monobus, especially around the windscreen. I think the FleetLine name only appeared on the Hastings Deering bus with a Ford engine, although the body type, with the special structural components, continued on other chassis until about 1961. I agree with you that the original form of number 31 had a certain style.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

And there is a picture of number 6 on the Picture Australia site through the State Library of WA. It is pictured at the Shell service station which must have been the depot because number 1 is in the background. Here is the link:

http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/images/illust ... ,354PD.jpg
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Here's an even earlier photo of No 5:

It was also the first of 171 Worldmasters to enter service in Perth. Whilst it was scrapped by the MTT, it is amazing that 50 years on the other three Worldmasters still exist, two of them in preservation.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Carlisle 8
Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Post by Carlisle 8 »

Thank you gentlemen, for your contributions.

I wrote "The Riverton Bus Service had a depot just over the Riverton Bridge, alongside a service station. I was informed that the two shared the same ownership." I had thought that it was a Shell station, but I didn't post that, because I was not positive. Thanks to system improver, I know that my memory is still working!

Coming from Perth, the service station was on the left, followed by the depot, which was next door, where 6 was in the photo. You can bet that they serviced their own buses at the garage and I'm tipping that that would have been why 1 was there.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

What happen to riverton number 1 as there would not be very many full size morris buses in australia would there be I am just curious.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

31 is a fascinating vehicle.Did it go into MTT green and cream prior to getting the full body make over ?

The small crown light sliders in 34 give that bus a rather chic look.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Yoo hoo - anybody there to answer my question ?
Dennis96

Post by Dennis96 »

[/quote]31 is a fascinating vehicle.Did it go into MTT green and cream prior to getting the full body make over ?

Hi Dave,

You're not forgotten. I don't know if the major accident occurred when it was still in Riverton colours or after a repaint into the first MTT livery (MTTa with dark green around the windows).

A good question that Ted Drake or Carlisle8 who are slightly older far more knowledeable than me may be able to answer. I don't recall seeing this bus until the MTTb livery era - ie mid 1960's onwards, by which time it had been extensively rebuilt by the MTT. I have not seen a photo of it in MTTa livery.

Interesting though that the MTT accepted the (very "NSWish" to me in Western Australia) Comeng windscreen design with the front engined Albions and rebodied ex Metro Leyland Worldmasters, yet did away with it when 31 was repaired. 9 of the 10 MTT Albions were bodied by Boltons who according to John Dunn's excellent Comeng books had an agreement with Comeng on body framing and design. (One MTT Albion was bodied by Comeng in NSW). The Worldmasters were rebodied by Boltons as well. This suggests to me that the MTT probably undertook the repairs to 31 themselves rather than outsourcing it to a body builder.
Passengers must not talk to Driver
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Could we have a photo of anything in MTTa livery , please
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Sorry, Dave, I don't have one.

31 is recorded as having been re-built by the MTT in 1961, but I am suspicious of this date. I think the re-build as per the b&w photo occurred during its Riverton days - purely conjecture since I wasn't around at the time! But one would have to wonder why the MTT would meticulously repaint it in Riverton colours after the rebuild. Note that the 2nd chocolate waist band extends further forward on to the front, ahead of the front door. Then compare the earlier colour photo.

I have another theory about its big MTT rebuild date. I think it must have occurred pre-1965 for the following reason: Note that there are two bands of beading under the windows. This was to separate the darker green around the windows from the lighter shade of green of the panels (aka "MTTa"). Had it been rebuilt after 1965, there would have been no need to add two bands of beading since the livery had changed to cream around the windows (aka "MTTb") - as per the Albion Vikings that were new at that time.

And now for an interesting anomaly to support this conjecture. One of the former WAGT AEC Regal IIIs that was rebuilt from full-front to half-cab configuration in 1964 emerged with some rather conspicuous saloon windows, as can be seen from this photo in its later life working in Kalgoorlie:

ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

I notice that with the half cab rebuilds, where the MTT had the windows done they used top sliders - the ones in 19 are the same ones in 31.Funny that the bus behind 19 is that another AEC. would you beable to tell me what 19 MTT fleet number was as, I like to look up the fleetlist to see were the bus has gone.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

EGTB 19 was ex-MTT 376, originally WA Govt Tramways 54. It is still extant in the vineyard area north-east of the Perth metro area.

The bus behind 19 is an Albion.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”