The History of Kefford Routes - Part 6 (Benders Geelong)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

The History of Kefford Routes - Part 6 (Benders Geelong)

Post by system improver »

According to The People Movers, "... (in) September 1926, Ernest and Aimee (better known as Bonnie) Bender obtained a city council hackney licence to operate a bus service from Geelong to Chillwell." Such were the beginnings of a bus company whose name still exists in Geelong, albeit under the ownership of the Kefford Corporation, until next Monday. Kefford acquired the business from the Benders family in June 2000.

Here are some photographs from the John Masterton Collection taken in the 50s and 60s. Maybe someone can add few from the 70s and 80s.

First a 1941 Ford V8 with Symons & Fowler bodywork, reg DT 018:

Next, an unusual rear engined Reo from 1948 with Symons & Fowler Body, reg MC 543:

The Leyland Comet never won prizes for good looks, and this 1950 with S&F body was no exception, reg RA 970:

The second Ansair bodied Leyland Royal Tiger was new to Benders in March 1952, reg WF 451:

New to Benders for coach work was this Ansair Flxible, with a Leyland engine, in 1952, reg XN 859:

More Leylands followed in 1956 with the replacement of the trams in Geelong. This Royal Tiger Cub had an Ansair body and was reg GMR 704:

A number of the above RTC Leylands were rebodied, and the one above received a Freighter body in August 1971:

This one received another Ansair body in September 1967, reg GMC 679:
Last edited by system improver on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User xxx

Re: The History of Kefford - Part 6 (Benders Geelong)

Post by User xxx »

The gts bus services in geelong one of the companys I am not sure some leyland national these were great old pictures route660.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: The History of Kefford Routes - Part 6 (Benders Geelong)

Post by system improver »

Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

system improver wrote:According to The People Movers, "... (in) September 1926, Ernest and Aimee (better known as Bonnie) Bender obtained a city council hackney licence to operate a bus service from Geelong to Chillwell." Such were the beginnings of a bus company whose name still exists in Geelong, albeit under the ownership of the Kefford Corporation, until next Monday. Kefford acquired the business from the Benders family in June 2000.

Here are some photographs from the John Masterton Collection taken in the 50s and 60s. Maybe someone can add few from the 70s and 80s.

New to Benders for coach work was this Ansair Flxible, with a Leyland engine, in 1952, reg XN 859:
Interesting to note that the Clipper still survives being owned by a member of the Flxible Clipper Club although now fitted with a 6 cylinder Perkins.
Aggie

Post by Aggie »

I've been riding on these buses since I was born - the day after the trams stopped in 1956. Some of them look so familiar, as do the street scenes. I recognize several landmarks around my home town. Thanks for the pictures.
katiebender

Post by katiebender »

Hello, how can I get a hold of these old Bender Busway's images? I'm from the Bender family, and would love to get a copy of these awesome images. Could someone please contact me at katie.bender@me.com

Kind regards, Katie

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”