Ferry boat shuffle Tassie style (1975)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Ferry boat shuffle Tassie style (1975)

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Some of you may vividly remember a cold dark night in January 1975. A large boat somehow missed the main opening of the Tasman Bridge in Hobart, splitting the city from the eastern suburbs of Hobart. A HUGE logistical solution was required to reconnect transport services. This involved ferries from Sydney, new bus routes, new bridges and LOTS & LOTS of patience.
What eventuated was the 'FERRY BOAT SHUFFLE" as shown in the first pix. Long queues every day. If you chose to drive then you encounted the "BAILEY BRIDGE" which also involved long queues in peak times. Some of you may remember/relate to photograph #2. And in pix #3 the "NEW" bus interchange on the Eastern Shore @ the ferry terminal. Unfortunately I was very young and not able to travel around for photos, but these (3) are pictures I have purchased over the years. ENJOY the memories!! :D
Mercedes_MkII_2125
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305

Re: Ferry boat shuffle Tassie style (1975)

Post by Mercedes_MkII_2125 »

I ahve a relative who lives in Rosny and he took me on a tour of the area one night, showing me where the old Ferry terminal was at Belrive during the crisis. Was the Bailey Bridge built using Army parts?
Regards, Lee Huntington
User xxx

Post by User xxx »

Didn`t one of there wooden hull ferrys sent from sydney get reduced to pontoon after they rebuilt the tasman bridge route660.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Mercedes_MkII_2125 wrote:I ahve a relative who lives in Rosny and he took me on a tour of the area one night, showing me where the old Ferry terminal was at Belrive during the crisis. Was the Bailey Bridge built using Army parts?
YES!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ROUTE660 wrote:Didn`t one of there wooden hull ferrys sent from sydney get reduced to pontoon after they rebuilt the tasman bridge route660.
Not sure what you mean "get reduced to pontoon". I pretty sure the Sydney ferry "KOSIOSKO" sank at Prince of Wales Bay soon after the bridge reopened.
skystar320
Favourite Vehicle: PMC160 + Orana Body

Post by skystar320 »

Neil is that last picture taken where the old 'Rosny Mini Golf' was/is (albeit closed down) and the water directly in front where Rosny College's Oval is now? wasn't that reclaimed land??? :?: :?:
Welcome Aboard
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

skystar320 wrote:Neil is that last picture taken where the old 'Rosny Mini Golf' was/is (albeit closed down) and the water directly in front where Rosny College's Oval is now? wasn't that reclaimed land??? :?: :?:
Yes Greg that is where the Mini Golf WAS!! Part of the land was reclaimed I think.
User xxx

Post by User xxx »

Tas bus nut just I saw a picture of a hull of one of the wooden hull ferrys from and it was just a hull all cabins everything was gone just a hull and to come to think of it. It was the kosiosko but if she sank at mooring in prince of wales bay what was the hull from cause it was the size of kosiosko hull route660.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ROUTE660 wrote:Tas bus nut just I saw a picture of a hull of one of the wooden hull ferrys from and it was just a hull all cabins everything was gone just a hull and to come to think of it. It was the kosiosko but if she sank at mooring in prince of wales bay what was the hull from cause it was the size of kosiosko hull route660.
Sorry route660, I cannot answer that one. Someone else may be able to help. Neil

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”