Auckland Regional Authority

New Zealand Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.

Moderator: Vitalstatistix

Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
readerbus
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N 11.190

Auckland Regional Authority

Post by readerbus »

Hi there guys. Here Are a couple of really old relics which left the aRA in 1986 when the first of the MAN SL202's arrived. The first photo, is of one of the Suburban Buses Bedford Val 6x2 Twin Steer buses. Which was converted to standard 4x2 configuration & given Gardener power while based at the ARA's North Shore Depot. This bus was last seen at Hanham's buses in Albany in 1999. The second photo is of the KEA Mark 1, which was built by the boys at North Shore with bits & pieces of other buses. I think this must have been one of the only buses in NZ with three doors. The last time I had seen this bus operating was with the Party Bus Company in the late 1990's
ara845 Bedford Val 4x2.jpg
ara943 Kea Mk1 3 doors.jpg
readerbus
it's better by bus
readerbus

Re: Auckland Regional Authority

Post by readerbus »

Here is a photo of MAN SL200 #1602 while it was part of the Auckland Regional Authority's Methanol Trial.
ara1602 Methanol 2.JPG
readerbus
it's better by bus
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

Ah :D , Methenol :wink: , Thany you posting these pics. Prior to the 303's and 305's the ARA did have quite an interesting fleet. I do like the Methenol livery. Too bad they didn't send it down here.
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
readerbus

Post by readerbus »

Here is an even older member of the former ARA family. This is the Fully Restored & Operational Daimler Freeline #201 from the Auckland Transport Board housed at Motat. The photo was taken by my wife in 2002.
atb201.JPG
readerbus
it's better by bus
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

readerbus, how pleasantly coincidental is your posting the the Freeline photo - I was about to start a new thread concerning two Perth examples that have recently been saved for preservation. I note on the MOTAT website that 201 is said to be the sole example preserved out of the 160 Auckland Freelines - is that correct?
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
readerbus

Post by readerbus »

Herbert wrote:readerbus, how pleasantly coincidental is your posting the the Freeline photo - I was about to start a new thread concerning two Perth examples that have recently been saved for preservation. I note on the MOTAT website that 201 is said to be the sole example preserved out of the 160 Auckland Freelines - is that correct?
Yep, unfortunately Kiwi's are a bit slow when it comes to thinking about restoring particular styles of bus. :oops: Yes this is the only one that I know of that is still in bus configuration. But if any others ever pop up, you can bet I'll be one of the ones putting my hand up to purchase it.
readerbus
it's better by bus
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

The Freeline looks quite high. Or is that just readerbus being a little short?
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Daimler Freelines did have a high chassis level and it was that amongst possibly other reasons that stalled their efforts to gain an order in Adelaide for the MTT in 1953 (or thereabouts) and probably worked against large orders elsewhere.

Daimler/Lawton no 166, the prototype remained unique with major orders going to AEC for their Regal IV's and to eyland for the Worldmaster. No 166 was sold to Bridglands t/as Golden Tours as their fleet no 5 and was still operating their route service from near the pre3sent Marion Shopping Centre to the City in the early 1970's - I will dig out a photo of it soon.
baby38

Post by baby38 »

Would had loved to see photos of these buses,however, the links for the photos have gone,if someone can upload the photos again please, I remember every Friday night during the 60s I think The 2 front steer bus owned by Suburban transport used to leave around 9.30pm for Tepapa, it was the best looking bus around then, I used to wait for the Damiliar that Ptc used that went to Tamaki via Pilkington road,be great if anyone have any photos of these buses.

Return to “New Zealand Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.”